cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eve Valkyrie

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
Seems no-one is playing this. Most threads are a couple or more years old and more recent ones only concern issues installing.

I've just had my first proper session this morning - about 50 minute's worth. I did really enjoy the combat bits, using Touch for (semi-)control but the menu system I found clunky and very unintuitive - whilst appearing to be made to be intuitive.

Having to repeatedly swap between HOTAS and Touch to achieve simple actions was a PITA, as was trying to assign controls. If I made a mistake, I was unable to correct it or simply unassign, by following the displayed control actions. It either did nothing or jumped back a couple of menus, instead of simply unassigning that particular control.

I'm sure space combat with my HOTAS set up how I would like it would be really great - but once I had finished assigning I was unable to find any way to get a game. It either put me in a lobby, to wait for other players (who never turned up) or kept fobbing me off - such as the daily challenge I opted for - "The next challenge will be available in 20 hours" wtf?? 😮

I was told I had only completed about 20% of the training. Great - let's get on with the rest. Only how? I couldn't find it at all and had to guess what to select. That was the same with assignments - some of them are simply guessing what the action does, because there is no description to tell you.

So it looks like it's back to the 'net, or YouTube yet again, to find out how to play a game. Thanks  :#   I will do it, though, because I'm sure that once I've got the menus and controls sorted, it will be a very enjoyable game to play. For short periods, at least (you know - until it gets repetitive and tedious, as all space combat games eventually do).

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2
15 REPLIES 15

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I might give it another look, but from what I remember I thought the sensitivity of the ship you were flying was pretty bad. It might have been that was just crap at the game though.

The other thing I found was I couldn't tell if I was fighting bots or players. How do you know if you were fighting human players and not just bots? 

I'm saying I'll have another look, but nobody's playing it, correct?

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Just went in - haven't been playing the game for 9 months :blush:

Everything worked perfectly - had no problems starting an online death match (4 or 5 players). There're also some single player (training) missions - and I've completely forgotten the controls, but it all came back to me quickly. To choose some options you need to look at them (=HMD-directed controls - had forgotten that too and suddenly got worried that my Touch controllers weren't working :blush: ) It's still an awesome feeling flying those ships - why can't I start in one of those in Elite?  😄

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
How do you know if they are players and not just bots?

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
It think it said online players, had to wait 80 seconds for the match-making. The player names did look like made by online players too, but of course that could be simulated. Whatever I met out there kicked my a**, I hope it wasn't some bots :blush:

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
I'm guessing by the names, at least. See the names of the ones you fight in the training sessions and you'll see the same ones if it's bots. That's how I knew there was no-one around to play with when I tried to start a TDM sesh - all bot names in the ready room.

Personally, I don't care who I fight, as long as I win, or at least have a good scrap.  I'm guessing runey got a game quickly due to his time zone. I was playing daytime GMT, so not much chance of anyone with a half decent ping.

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

RedRizla said:

How do you know if they are players and not just bots?

The names is a good giveaway. If you are killed by "YoMama69" then it is probably a real player.

They once had their full AI Bot list online here:

But the forum is discontinued. I just sent them a tweet. Hopefully we can get an updated list!