New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

VR at CES2019

Comments

• BrixmisBrixmis Posts: 2,234 Valuable Player
    It's alright HTC announcing all these releases, but if they follow their previous pricing policy, they will nose-dive.

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 5,845 Valuable Player
    Brixmis said:
    It's alright HTC announcing all these releases, but if they follow their previous pricing policy, they will nose-dive.

Yup, very much this ^^^

The Cosmos is also going to be a nightmare to develop for because it doesn't have any mobile components inside and has to rely on either a PC or mobile/tablet for compute. So effectively you don't have a lowest common denominator to aim for because you'll have no clue what sort of hardware is going to be connected to the thing.

If they had gone for a headset with mobile components inside to power it AND had the ability to attach a PC to it then it would be a great idea.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,311 Valuable Player

It's that step from Vive to Vive Pro that's the killer, £499 to £1299 for the kits respectively.

I just can't get over that price. I mean ok, they've decided Vive Pro is for enterprise users who'll pay whatever if there's a business case. Vive Pro Eye price is going to be upwards of that.

It makes the Cosmos pricing difficult for them, if it (Cosmos) has visuals that are on a par with the Pro and I think it needs to if it isn't go to be obsolete within a year.

Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1809 (17763.348)
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 12,979 Valuable Player
    edited January 9
    When it comes to VR Tech, CES really is just about letting organizations who are less relevant step forward and try to remain relevant. It's cute.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • MradrMradr Posts: 2,934 Valuable Player
    edited January 10
    Those incremental releases are going to be fun.

Vive
    Vive Pro
    Vive Pro Eye
    Vive Pro Eye and other Eye
    Vive Pro Eye and the other Eye and the other eye now with varifocal
    Vive Pro Eye and the other Eye and the other eye now with varifocal and the other now too 
    Vive Pro Eye and the other Eye and the other eye now with varifocal and the other now too and now no cable

At this point - only because they went down this path - I say they was better off selling it as a addon product instead of a built in one for the Vive Pro. Then later on - Vive Pro 2 say it is built in with their next feature varifocal. This way it's a easier blow to the current Vive Pro users and still gives them the upgrade path later on at a lower price point to include both.

As for Cosmos - I agree with snowdog - there isn't a common denominator here and it's going to be confusing at best to know what hardware to target for. Granted - I am sure they will have a list of what they recommend to target for and what users should use - but as we see with any technology - people are going to be silly and try and use something even slower than that and then complain it doesn't work for them.
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,135 Valuable Player
    Fascinated by posts that don't see CES as a important VR marketing event - with Oculus VR and HTC using it extensively as a meeting and promotion event - though obviously not having booth space, both have held corporate events at their hotel locations (as last year)!

The Quest demo at CES is a big push by the operation including the news of their new investment into enterprise - while at the same time we see the new Cosmos from HTC, a possible multi-platform contender.

Just surprised some would not see CES as important in the mix of defining VR business, alongside SteamDay, F8, OC6 and GDC?
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,650 Volunteer Moderator
    edited January 10
    Yup, VR is dead, sure ....

https://www.roadtovr.com/qualcomm-reference-headset-2x-pixels-vive-pro-ces-2018/

Folks this is a train that is not going to slow down anytime soon.

Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
    We need a "VR is dead" T-Shirt already
  • kojackkojack Posts: 4,902 Volunteer Moderator
    I prefer my Sixense "VR Pioneer" shirt. :)

• KlodsBrikKlodsBrik Posts: 848
    3Jane
    edited January 10
    @Techy111 can I order a "VR is alive and thriving, humanity is doomed" T-Shirt  from you?
    Be good, die great !
    KlodsBrik said:
    @Techy111 can I order a "VR is alive and thriving, humanity is doomed" T-Shirt  from you?
    That would be this one:

Sadly not available any more, it was a kickstarter reward. :(

God damn it @Techy111 you beat me to it, 

Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Dam I buy one of them for sure! That one alone looks super cool
    Dear Oculus, some of the forum members on your official website are offering VR Is Dead t-shirts for sale. Fuck you, I'm buying a Vive.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

snowdog said:
    Dear Oculus, some of the forum members on your official website are offering VR Is Dead t-shirts for sale. Fuck you, I'm buying a Vive.
    How can you buy something when it's DEAD.

Well, apparently we have to call the funeral off now ... I give up .. lol

We saw virtual reality's bright future at CES 2019

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/we-saw-virtual-realitys-bright-future-at-ces-2019

• Techy111Techy111 Posts: 5,229 Volunteer Moderator
    So just a plain white t-shirt should do then lol
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.
    And FlyInside Forum Admin.
    Flyinside Flight Simulator RELEASED.
    snowdog said:

Oh bugger, forgot that the Vive is also another VR headset.

Dear HTC and Oculus, what I said in my previous post. Fuck you, I'm buying myself a Thai Bride.

Dear @vannagirl, you haven't posted on here for ages and when you DO post on here you refuse my advances. See letter above to HTC and Oculus.

:D  :D :D

People are liking the Quest. Going to be an exciting launch for sure.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/oculus-quest-headset-gets-me-into-vr-ces-2019/

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 1,521 Valuable Player
    edited January 11
    God damn it @Techy111 you beat me to it, 

Fun, but I'd prefer a black t-shirt with the Holonauts' illustration, I think they got it right  B)

https://twitter.com/hashtag/holonauts
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
    edited January 11
    The food industry is pretty heavily based on buying dead things. :)
    VR is just resting!

:D  :D :D

kojack said:

You, sir, are under arrest for the illegal use of logic.  

• Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 1,680 Valuable Player
    kojack said:
    He has a very good point there. 
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,257 Valuable Player

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
    edited January 12

Man this stuff opens soo many doors. Imagine Oculus GO not needing a controller - just look at what you want to play for music or video and it just auto starts. No need for hand tracking for example while providing the other eye tracking benefits. Granted I know it has it - but not in the same way as tracking the eyes alone would allow, for example, while still watching a video - increase volume on the fly and less wear and tear on your neck.