cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

oculus keeps disconnecting and reconnecting and turning all usb ports off PLEASE HELP

leemyclown1
Explorer
so iv'e had my oculus for about a month now and it was working PERFECTLY i had my PC on top of my desk and i decided that i would move my PC down bellow my desk to make room for a second monitor my second monitor was older (also before i go on i must say i had two HDMI ports and one DVI port on my graphics card so i had my rift plugged into one HDMI and the monitor plugged into the other HDMI and so i had to plug in my other monitor thru the DVI port) so anyway i unplugged everything moved the PC and re plugged it all and turn on my PC to play some oculus and this weird thing started happening...... i opened the oculus app and put on my oculus and the display was a light black then after about 10 seconds it would turn pitch black and the orange light above the headset turned on and it wouldn't respond and then i would get this notification that it couldn't find my headset please plug it in and also all my USB ports turned on and off so my mouse would freeze and my keyboard and WiFi would go out (cause i have a USB WiFi chip) and so in the app i went to devices and it kept saying that my headset wasn't connected by HDMI and there was an error and then the censors disappeared and disconnected and then reconnected and all this crap was going on and as soon as i closed the app it all stopped and now it happens every time i open the app or put the headset on it'll do it all again and just keep disconnecting and re connecting and i already deleted and re downloaded the app and re did the setup and checked the ports and they are all good no broken ports i also went thru the device manager and turned off the shut off when to much power is used thing 

so is this a glitch in the oculus app or something wrong with my oculus is there a easy fix? please let me know its probably too late for an RMA i got it from amazon so idk 
4 REPLIES 4

LZoltowski
Champion
When all USB devices turn off and then back on this can mean that too much power is being drawn from them and windows will reboot them all. Have you plugged in everything at the back EXACTLY as you did before? Are the sensors and the HMD on the SAME USB ports as you had them?
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

leemyclown1
Explorer
no i don't remember how they where before so i doubt they are in the same way..... also i just thought of something i have my pc at one end of the room and my censor at the other end on a stand and so i need a 3.0 USB extender chord to reach my pc since about 2 weeks ago i moved my desk for more space and since last week i mover my pc under my desk i needed a extra extension chord so i have two extension chords on one of my censors and none on the other do you think that i have too much chord length on my censor and its messing with my computer? (cause maybe two chords is pulling too much power)

LZoltowski
Champion

no i don't remember how they where before so i doubt they are in the same way..... also i just thought of something i have my pc at one end of the room and my censor at the other end on a stand and so i need a 3.0 USB extender chord to reach my pc since about 2 weeks ago i moved my desk for more space and since last week i mover my pc under my desk i needed a extra extension chord so i have two extension chords on one of my censors and none on the other do you think that i have too much chord length on my censor and its messing with my computer? (cause maybe two chords is pulling too much power)

Could be, having longer cables causes more resitance and could result in longer draw.

Troubleshoot it like so:

Plug the headset into a USB 3.0
Plug 2 sensors, no extension cable into usb 2.0 ports

Test, if still happening, move the USB connections apart and see if you can find a configuration that works.

Are your extension cables ACTIVE extensions or just normal USB extensions?
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

leemyclown1
Explorer
it works!! it was too long of a cord thanks for the help!!!! your awesome!!! and i think its just a regular extension