Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift 1.34 PTC Release Notes

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Dash:

• Livestreaming: You can now livestream directly to your Facebook page using Dash. Note: Some apps do not permit streaming.
  • Avatar editing: Change your Oculus Avatar anytime by pressing on the “Edit Avatar” tab on the Social Panel in Dash.

Home:

• Public Homes: You now have the option to make your Home public, allowing non-friends to visit your space and join group activities. The Home menu also now features recommended Homes, based on things like social activity and number of likes. Recommendations are automatic and dynamic, so check back often. Note: This feature is rolling out gradually.
  • Improved multiplayer functionality: We've updated multiplayer features in Home so can play basketball, shoot blasters or redesign your Home while friends are there.
  • Multiplayer avatar editing: Strut your stuff. You can now use the Avatar Editor mirror to customize your appearance when you're in a Home with your friends.
If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!
50 REPLIES 50

YoLolo69
Trustee
That's a pretty "nice" catch! I'm curious to understand how Oculus Home can achieve this? Now you scared me as my GTX is OC. I hope I'll retrieve my GHz! 😉

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 10700K,  RTX 3070, 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz, Oculus Rift CV1

LZoltowski
Champion
Yup I can confirm on my 1080 my memory clock drops by 500Mhz.  GPU clock remains unaffected at 2.05 Ghz. GPU is water cooled and doesn't reach above 57c ever so it should run fine.

Fire up FurMark (GPU torture test) : core clock sustained at 2.05Ghz, Memory at 5600Mhz

Keep Furmark running, launch Oculus App, core clock sustained at 2.05 but memory clock drops to 5100Mhz

How very odd! This is a PTC mind you so there are bound to be quirky bugs like this. Just report it in the app.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Taomyn
Protege
I can add to the confirmed memory clock being "tweaked" by Oculus - my 1070Ti drops around 200MHz

I also saw in the event log something I've seen happen for some time, Home also switches the power scheme to the built-in "Performance" policy, then back afterwards. So if you have created your own, it won't be in use during the time Home is running - so I have deleted all except mine so it can't change it. They're global and really easy to revert back with a restore parameter to "powercfg.exe".
---
Rift S | AMD Ryzen 9 5900X CPU | Asus RoG Strix X470-I Gaming Motherboard | Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB DDR4-3200 RAM | EVGA nVidia 3080Ti FTW3 GPU | Samsung 870 EVO Plus 260GB NVMe | Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD | Corsair H100i v2 Cooler | Thermaltake Core V21 Case | Corsair RMx 850 PSU

Anonymous
Not applicable
But do you guys have actual performance issues? If the clock is lower but the games are as smooth as ever, it's actually not a bad thing...

Taomyn
Protege

But do you guys have actual performance issues? If the clock is lower but the games are as smooth as ever, it's actually not a bad thing...

Yes it can be bad, because if we have enabled certain settings before an now the GPU can't perform as well, it will cause issues. If it isn't bad, then it means we cannot use the extra freed performance to improve settings in a game.

It's not up to Oculus how we clock our cards.

Having said that, could it be the nVidia drivers changing the clock due to the extra screen Oculus Home creates when running?
---
Rift S | AMD Ryzen 9 5900X CPU | Asus RoG Strix X470-I Gaming Motherboard | Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB DDR4-3200 RAM | EVGA nVidia 3080Ti FTW3 GPU | Samsung 870 EVO Plus 260GB NVMe | Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD | Corsair H100i v2 Cooler | Thermaltake Core V21 Case | Corsair RMx 850 PSU

Kelju
Protege

YoLolo69 said:

Kelju said:

This update screwed memoryclocks of gtx 1070. usually 1070 memory clock is 4006MHz, after this update it wont go over 3802MHz. Went back to STABLE and it FIXED IT.
Then i started thinking, i did the update with msi afterburner running so i tough that might have caused it. So did the public test channel update AGAIN, and this time made sure no afterburner or rivatuner running(not even installed). Also did the update over fresh install of Nvidia's latest driver and also installed the win 10 pro jan 9 update, so i could be 100% sure it was installed over up_to_date vanilla system.

AGAIN lost that 204MHz on memory clocks. And it wont go to the 4006MHz on any load.
Playing ONWARD my GPU memory load is 7700Mb and the clocks stay at 3802MHz, same as just Oculus app running.
Switched back to stable, and it FIXED IT again.

So it is F..d, the

1.34 PTC

update.

go in your NVidia setting, 3D Settings, and set the powerplan to "Maximum Power" (instead of "Optimized one"). Check your GTX frequency now under and without load.

Honestly, the only reason I can think off is Oculus is now more optimized and need less ressource. That's why I suggest to push the Power Plan to max to see what happen, as usually your frequency should vary depending load.

Using max power plan in nvidia control panel pushes the clocks on memory to max, but also gpu clocks to max with max voltage, even in idle. Not a good policy if you care about your harware.

Of course there is performance issues. It is noticeable in VR games where you use smooth turn. Turning is sluggish and jittery (with settings i set before this update). This is how i initially got on to this "bug".

And "overclocking" to normal clocks, helps to this, so there is no excuse for this, other than precautionary measure to protect hardware after reports of failures, in this case failures in memory chip after using oculus sofware. But i didn't found any such reports searching the web, so this is most likely a bug.

Taomyn said:

Yes it can be bad, because if we have enabled certain settings before an now the GPU can't perform as well, it will cause issues. If it isn't bad, then it means we cannot use the extra freed performance to improve settings in a game.

Having said that, could it be the nVidia drivers changing the clock due to the extra screen Oculus Home creates when running?

If it would be about Nvidia's drivers changing the clock due to the extra screen Oculus Home creates, it would affect stable version as well, yeah?

Taomyn
Protege

Kelju said:

If it would be about Nvidia's drivers changing the clock due to the extra screen Oculus Home creates, it would affect stable version as well, yeah?

Or this version is triggering something new in the drivers?
---

Anonymous
Not applicable

Taomyn said:

Likely not, as the problem only began after 1.34 PTC was pushed out.

AussieStig
Expert Protege
Just a little confused with this thread, is this streaming feature something that can be opted out of? I am about to invest heavily in a new system and certainly don't want to have performance issues before I even get started. I have been using the DK2 and Homeless Mod with OTT up until now. So no Oculus Home to worry about. I would like the powerful system I am about to purchase to run everything in its vanilla form. Will this vanilla install of the Oculus software affect my PC's performance? Can anyone fill me in here please? AussieStig

Kelju
Protege
@ AussieStig. Current stable version has no problems with hardware. It's the public test channel (beta) that has this problem.