Elite Exploration - Page 12 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Elite Exploration

Comments

• JD-UKJD-UK Posts: 2,288 Valuable Player
    edited January 8
    I don't know if they've tweaked it since, @OmegaM4N -  but I found it really wasn't worth doing those missions. Time invested vs payout was a very poor ratio.

• ChazmeisterChazmeister Posts: 534
    Neo
    edited January 8
    They upped the payouts for those in the Q4 update, however it's still better to find the boom time deliveries if you can. If you have a Python, I've often seen them delivering to outposts with payouts as much as 6 million plus. By the time you've shited the 3000 units of whatever, for 10-12 million, you could have done over half a dozen of those for 4-6 million a pop. So the pay is better now for wing delivery missions, but unless you're in a wing of 3-4 with other traders, you're still better off doing solo bulk delivery missions.
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 617
    Neo
    Brixmis said:
    I don't know if they've tweaked it since, @OmegaM4N -  but I found it really wasn't worth doing those missions. Time invested vs payout was a very poor ratio.
    True - passenger missions used to hold the crown for payouts, now Void Opal mining apparently makes the RtR look cheap :)
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, Gigabyte GTX 1080, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Corsair Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD 3K screen)
    Neo
    I am so going to have to get on tonight and refit my mining T9 and get out there. Any particular ring types I need to look for?
    Neo
    edited January 8
    I am so going to have to get on tonight and refit my mining T9 and get out there. Any particular ring types I need to look for?
    You really need Pristine rings - don't forget your Wave Scanner and DSS
    Col 285 Sector OS-T d3-148 has a GG with pristine rings but I never took a DSS (oops) to scan the rings.  In beta - pre 3.3 it had several Painite hotspots...   I know they introduced the more valuable materials in  beta 3? when I had already done a bit of mining and had already headed out to the void.

Ideally heading out of the bubble to any of your previously discovered systems with Ringed GG's  would be a safer bet than bubble mining, and would be much more interesting getting there :)

PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, Gigabyte GTX 1080, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Corsair Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD 3K screen)
    Anyone know if you keep your previous discoveries when you reset your profile?

When I come back I'll probably start from zilch again - it'll give me more to aim for and a purpose in the game.

Neo
    I think your "first discovered by" tags will still exist under your old cmdr name but your actual profile will be a clean slate.
    Neo
    Brixmis said:
    Anyone know if you keep your previous discoveries when you reset your profile?

When I come back I'll probably start from zilch again - it'll give me more to aim for and a purpose in the game.
    It'll be "Welcome to your new (actually 'several previous careless owners') Sidewinder CMDR - now get out there and get ganked"

I have a second account with a 'new' CMDR who'd be your friend :)

• bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,788 Valuable Player
    Digikid1 said:
    STILL waiting for this to go on sale.  Sounds great but I am NOT willing to shell out $69.99CDN for it.  Yikes!!!!!!!!
    did you not look in the steam sale?
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    RattyUK said:

How does that work on a single PC (assuming you have both accounts running on a single PC)? I've been considering picking it up in a sale to live a different lifestyle with a second profile (a decidedly nefarious one... mwah ha haaaa! >:)  ) but was concerned there may be some cross-contamination.

Neo
    edited January 10
    Brixmis said:
    RattyUK said:

How does that work on a single PC (assuming you have both accounts running on a single PC)? I've been considering picking it up in a sale to live a different lifestyle with a second profile (a decidedly nefarious one... mwah ha haaaa! >:)  ) but was concerned there may be some cross-contamination.
    I have the second account with a different email address so launch my main account under oculus and the second with Steam.  I'll have to try launching No: 2 under oculus at some point, just to see if it works :)

It works well as the 'save' games are stored in different locations so the 2 co-exist in isolation.

RattyUK said:

It works well as the 'save' games are stored in different locations so the 2 co-exist in isolation.
    Ah, that's the important bit - thanks. Don't suppose you use the ED Market Connector app? I was also wondering if that could cope with two profiles on one PC. Mind you, as each account has different names, I suppose it should.

• OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 398
    Trinity
    edited January 10
    Brixmis said:
    They are not too bad actually, you can quite easily make, 9 million a hour, just make sure you can reach the delivery in one jump from station to station, and both collection and delivery point are quite close to the jump in point, and then it is just back and forth, i can hold 360 ton at present so i usually try and stay around the 2300 mark or lower if i can find them, so in total that is 14 jumps in all.

But for sure if you can get a few boom deliveries that are a few mill each then grab them first always....but these are all good for me as i was pulling in around 5 mill a hour with my previous ship, so it's all gravy for me. lol
    Neo
    @Brixmis I know that EDD is quite happy with multiple profiles (was even tracking in beta independently)  but not used EDMC to be able to comment.

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,413 Valuable Player
    Not sure if you can still do it but Bounty Hunter missions used to be good if you stacked them. Can't remember if that worked for Wing missions too, but Wing missions were great too if you could find ones that had less than 60 pirate kills. Really good earners once you add the bounties on top!

I'm going to take The Comfy Chair to a few Haz RESs at some point once I've got Elite status with Trading so that I can work on getting my Combat rating up.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,177 Volunteer Moderator
    It's been quite a few months since I've loaded up Elite, I haven't seen any of the new stuff from the last update. Damn, even more controls to bind. I'm thinking of adding the gear shifter from my G27 to my controls. That gives me 8 more buttons, a dpad and an 8 position gear level.
    (Or I could just use the keyboard, but where's the fun in that?)

I had an interesting idea. I've been playing with the Mycroft open source AI assistant (like google home but not a privacy nightmare). It looks very easy to develop for it (all it's skills are just local python scripts). I wonder if I could teach it to be a ship's computer. Not like those voice packs that recognise certain keywords, this one could actually tie into sites like EDDB and query them. "Hey Mycroft, which stations in this system have large pads?" Or something similar. Unfortunately at the moment it's Linux only, so I'm running it in a VM. That makes it harder to send key strokes to the game to control stuff or read the logs to get current location.

You don't have Mycroft. You're just hearing those voices again you (literally!) crazy fool. :p
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

edited January 10
    I've just been to the FDev shop and it seems they are only selling via Steam or Oculus Home now. That's a big problem for me, because it means making a separate Steam account (which would be a pain in the arse switching and so on) as I can't really make a second Oculus account. I don't think.
    I wanted to buy direct from FD and use my existing installation of the game, but just log in with the new details in the launcher.

Edit: Scratch that - I was finally able to sign in to my account on the Frontier site and it seems you can buy stuff there once you've logged in. I'm seriously considering buying the DVD version. It's just the base game, but it does come with a serial code, so will do the job.
    Seems I can buy any version, despite already owning them - so that's me happy, once it goes on sale, of course! :)

I might even do some CQC next time, for a laugh.

Edit2: Bought the DVD. £20 (base game) plus £3 postage.

fwiw and despite being a bit ticked off just now - I do think it is worth the money, regardless of which version.

Neo
    @Brixmis ; - if you have a spare email address you can set up a second steam account with that address to install your 'second' account.  Once the game is installed and ran to set up your CMDR just load your 'normal' steam account but sign in on the frontier launcher with your secondary account - works fine for me this way.

I haven't tried contacting Frontier support about integrating the second account into oculus, I'm waiting for the new patch to drop and settle down before I ask :)

Neo
    Brixmis said:
    Seems I can buy any version, despite already owning them - so that's me happy, once it goes on sale, of course! :)

I might even do some CQC next time, for a laugh.

Edit2: Bought the DVD. £20 (base game) plus £3 postage.

fwiw and despite being a bit ticked off just now - I do think it is worth the money, regardless of which version.

Now in 2 weeks time when you decide you've had enough of it again and uninstall the game, you'll have two copies you no longer play!  :D
    edited January 12
    I won't be playing it in two weeks' time, smarty pants!

Nah, I've still no intention of getting back into it before the next big update. Then I'll probably have one profile in or near the Bubble and one at or near Colonia. The new one will be at Colonia, as I've no intention of paying the silly amount to have my engineered ships transported out there. I'll make it a priority to travel out as soon as I have the ship to do so and won't buy any others until I'm there.

Now there are engineers in the area, I should be fine. Probably turn to mining - my last mining exploits there were very profitable, and that was before 3.3

Funny thing is, now that I've uninstalled EliteD, which I was playing a lot of, as you know, I still find there aren't enough hours in a day for my gaming needs :'(

edited January 12
    Fekk me that was quick! EliteD DVD just dropped through the letterbox! :o

Neo
    Brixmis said:
    Fekk me that was quick! EiteD DVD just dropped through the letterbox! :o
    Now don't you go getting big ideas and start playing again....   I like the galaxy this empty :)

You mean "this galaxy ain't big enough for the both of us!" ?

That sounds like a challenge to me   >:)

edited January 12
    Well that didn't take long. My wife now has an account with FDev and that's what I'll use to log into the launcher, when I'm ready.

Painless and now I have a very nice DVD edition as a keepsake. Must say, It's a very nice package. Has that silky feeling to the box. It has an outer sort of slot box, like a pouch which holds another box, which has an actual DVD case inside - all made with the same, silky-touch material and covered with various spectacular looking screenshots.

The DVD case itself is quite thick, with two fold-over card bits and a pocket on the inside of one which contains the activation key card, and a quick-start manual, which has plenty of very useful information to get a new player started in the game and flying around. Very good job - and far better than the last few DVD boxed games I bought. which had crappy plastic cases and sod-all inside except the disc.

So I think that's £23 quite well spent :)

Here ya go - got some snaps:

Although I have my second account set up and the download available, I can't remember how to set up the commander name. I'm sure I'll stumble across that somewhere along the line, though.

Bloody hell, that looks NICE!!! :o

edited January 13
    I had a quick go with "Mrs Brix" account last night. It really has got very easy. I did the first 4 tutorial lessons to check that all was okay (the 5th hasn't been updated and nothing works as it should - obviously wasn't a priority, yet I would say it is the second most important).

Whilst it was really liberating to be starting from scratch and able to do what I liked - within 2 hours I was flying a modded Cobra III (having purchased a Viper III first and then exchanged it plus cash for the Cobra) and had half a million in my account.

Those of us who started with the original release, after playing the beta, will know just how silly fast this is. I remember struggling to get enough together to buy a Hauler, let alone a Cobra. Reaching a million was a big milestone - and I'm talking about regular play, not exploits or 'get rich quick' schemes.  All I did during the session was transporting goods and a couple of data transfer missions.

Another thing I noticed was that the planetary approach suite was fitted by default. I was under the impression these were only available for Horizons owners. I suppose that must mean I can visit planetary ports, but not use an SRV.

I also learned to use the FSS and discovery scanner with my assigned HOTAS controls.

So - if you do buy a second account, you will have to validate your account each time you switch accounts in the launcher (no problem for me - takes seconds). The good news is that all of your settings, with the exception of those in the cockpit (checklist settings, for example) are taken from your first account. So I didn't have to do any setting up at all - for the game options nor the controls.

All I have to learn now is the new mining routine and buy a DBX or AspX and I can put it away again and next time just head out to Colonia via the sceneic route, as ever.

PS - I recommend resetting your profile if the game gets stale and you don't want to buy a second account. Yes, you lose everything except your first discoveries, but it's very refereshing and even, yes, fun.

Yup, I've restarted from scratch twice...although the second time was quite by accident and I wasn't happy about doing it lol

I had almost 600 hours playing the game flat and started a new game from scratch when I got my Rift. I wanted to experience it all in VR from the beginning again. The second time I took my headset off and accidentally cleared my save, and didn't see the message telling me it was going to clear my save because I didn't have my glasses on lmfao :blush: :D

edited January 13
    If I was in fact a new player, I'd be pretty pissed off. Just accepting a number of 24hr boom transport missions and I lost the connection to the servers. Multiple attempts resulted in lots of sitting around and multiple 'unable to connect to server' errors.

I went over to the patch and server forum at FD and saw that there are a a large number of complaints and a lot of bugs being reported - including complaints about connectivity. One guy was saying it was surprising, the number of bugs and complaints, when a few had got away with barely any issues. This was the first response, by a seasoned veteran:

yes, thats true, its very strange. I for example am having 20-30 crashes a day plus freezes. Mostly grouped so it all goes to hell for an hour or two for example and then its ok for while and then its a crashfest again. Maybe its down to the times people play and how many are playing at the same time. I do known that the bug forums are full full full with brand new bugs (as well as many very old ones). The fact that there was no patch, in the last update, for even one of the multitude of bugs reported is beyond disappointing. Really Fdev, the holidays are over. Some one over at frontier needs to learn how to crack the whip and get some work done. They released a mess and they act like it s perfectly fine.

About sums it up, I think. This is why I stopped playing with my main account. If this new account/profile gets buggered as a result of the mess, it doesn't really matter much.

- and now I can't even attempt to play, as the "Start" option remains greyed out. This is the exact reason so many people were so pissed off when FD reneged on their Kickstart promise that there would be an offline SP mode.

Seems the server issues have been instigated by the start of the Distant Worlds 2 expedition. You know - the one that's been planned for months (I signed up to it myself, over 6 months ago, but pulled out recently). This has been a well publicised event and there's no way that FD didn't know it was going to happen - and over 2,500 pilots signed up for it.

Beggars belief, really. Just gives more power to those continually complaining that

Is there ever gonna be a time where we can play this game in peace without frustrations ?
    I mean the server bugs the game bugs its been going on now for years
    It just looks like Frontier did no planning whatsoever. But more worrying is the evident capacity issue: if the servers cannot handle an increase in the number of players online at once
    Any time I try to activate a new system permit I get booted by the adjucation server.

Yep, unfortunately the game isn't worth playing at the moment until the issue is fixed.

etc etc.

@Digikid1 - I'd strongly recommend not buying it until they fix it - if they fix it.