Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Elite Exploration

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
Getting well  into my second month of exploration along this route:

3rv31vbcbl36.jpg

If you get fed up with bugs or mundane missions in the Bubble, it's well worth heading out into the black. Taking your time, doing a sesh whenever you feel like it, with no stress, no time constraints or targets - just cruise and do what you like. I'm out here with Commander Hazardous Matt and another companion, and so far my undiscovered system count is at 134. Yes, that's 134 systems that will have my commander name on them - and an awful lot top-up for the bank, and I'm nowhere near the end of the journey yet.

First, we met up at the "bottom" of the galaxy (or top, depends which way you look at it!) and then headed towards the Lagoon Colonia Highway stop. From there we headed out towards the NGC/War & Peace Nebula. There were quite a few undiscovered systems along the way - but not much that was spectacular or particularly noteworthy - just regular systems, 65 undiscovered in all. When we got to NGC, I found that all of the systems from 20LY out had been discovered.

Whilst we sat there, wondering what to do next, I came up with the route in the picture above, and Matt was keen - so off we set. Since leaving NGC, almost every system I have come across has been undiscovered and there has been lots of nice screenshot material. Planets of all kinds of colours, werid huge gas giants and silvery, mirror-like rings, not to mention very spectacular looking nebula clouds.

Here are some screens from along the way. I'm only at stage 2 - and there are another 11 to go yet! Seey sometime around Christmas.... maybe! 😉

51blj33zs7q4.bmp

See these clouds on the galaxy map?:

fah59bqftjlt.jpg

Well, they are there in the galaxy, too:

lzr32edsnzz4.jpg
q3jobvp8y412.jpg

Planets are often coloured based on the clouds around them - like this one:

zbw88wfglwhg.jpg

A typical system, ripe for scanning and imprinting with my name:

btbjaqzq2c3q.jpg

...and in many cases, they are just a few light years from each other, all in a nice, tight cluster:

c27aoqlm6ewl.jpg

You can see the nebulae we are heading for - it's almost like joining the dots:

iyr3ed8xdh3s.jpg

these are a couple of the nicer ringed bodies - the second one is actually a shining Brown (Tauri) star and was very spectacular in-game:

i9zn3iw8jjcc.jpg

v5118iszkea0.jpg

This is where we are now - was a little reluctant to enter this aggressive looking cloud - but no worries, apart from cutting out some of the light and actually obscuring some of the neighbouring stars, it's quite harmless:

r1ea1d35dt9g.jpg

epu35yjb3yhp.jpg

All of this, not even half as far away as Colonia - so you don't have to go that far to find it, and find 'fame' in the form of your name spread across astronomical bodies in the galaxy.

And it's so much more relaxing... B)

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2
648 REPLIES 648

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
Seems the server issues have been instigated by the start of the Distant Worlds 2 expedition. You know - the one that's been planned for months (I signed up to it myself, over 6 months ago, but pulled out recently). This has been a well publicised event and there's no way that FD didn't know it was going to happen - and over 2,500 pilots signed up for it.

Beggars belief, really. Just gives more power to those continually complaining that

Is there ever gonna be a time where we can play this game in peace without frustrations ?

I mean the server bugs the game bugs its been going on now for years

It just looks like Frontier did no planning whatsoever. But more
worrying is the evident capacity issue: if the servers cannot handle an
increase in the number of players online at once

Any time I try to activate a new system permit I get booted by the adjucation server.

Yep, unfortunately the game isn't worth playing at the moment until the issue is fixed.

etc etc.

@@Digikid1 - I'd strongly recommend not buying it until they fix it - if they fix it.

Digikid1
Consultant

Brixmis said:

@Digikid1 - I'd strongly recommend not buying it until they fix it - if they fix it.

Noted.  Thanks.

kojack
MVP
MVP
I was watching the live stream of ObsidianAnt. The servers died when the entire expedition tried to do the first jump at the same time.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
The problem here is that FD could fob it off as a one-time thing. "Oh, well it's only down to so many people doing it at the same time, it's much more players than we normally have on at the same time, so there's no real need to do anything."

Maybe they'll ban expeditions over a certain size? Who knows - we'll find out in time, I'm sure. They still need to fix the rest, though.

Anonymous
Not applicable
The thing is, with AWS and similar services these days, there's absolutely no excuse for games having server issues these days.

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
I've managed to spend the time since my last post in game. Had to get the jobs done that I'd taken on yesterday before the crash. No connection issues - but then, the "other side" aren't on yet!

RattyUK
Trustee
I think the server issues were not due to the number of folk playing, more with the number of folk in 1 location all jumping to the same destination at the same time, still messy but a little more easy to comprehend than previous issues.
Play last night after the disconnect was mostly fine apart for the first half-hour, but did have the side-effect of rescuing my poor Clipper from caustic destruction as I was exiting a AXCZ with 35% hull after getting damage from a Scout being destroyed directly in front of my ship and me flying into the green cloud...  Disconnected witha server issue just as I was jumping out.  Server back up and me still in the CZ but at 100% - I left without saying goodbye to the locals 🙂
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
On my 3rd actual day of play with the new profile I have a few million credits, a modded Cobra 3 and a modded Type 6. I really dislike the "space bus" T6 but I needed something to get the 20 boom transport missions done a bit quicker. The problem is, there are always more lucrative ones when you are dropping something off, and on it goes...

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
If anyone is interested in a nice little boom triangle where you can make oodles of dosh and zoom up the Empire ranks at the same time, I stumbled across one while stopping to refuel.

Mu Nialfi (someone been watching too much space 1999! 😄 )

Degardhi

HIP 7304

They are mostly outposts, so a medium landing bay ship is required and a laden range of around 18-20LY will see you right.
There isn't much in the way of suitable ships around the area (in a 50LY radius) and I wouldn't trust the EDDB for this area too much, either, as I found it to be inaccurate. Lots of really profitable transport missions, though. I'd strongly suggest a Python - that way you can take on the baddies as well as move 230t per go. I had a Type 6 bought locally - 204t per go, and sod-all defences. Easily evades interdiction, though.

I'll be moving on later today, so help yourselves 🙂

Chazmeister
Rising Star
Well I've finally got around to giving the new mining a go, focusing on roid cracking of course. Didn't take one of those sub surface launchers, which I'll try next time. Some one recommended taking two abrasion blasters as they reckoned you got two bits if you used two, but I think that's more random chance thing myself. So next time I'll swap one blaster for a sub surface launcher.

Only found one roid with void opals so far. Actually just finding ones to crack can be a little bit hit and miss, but hey, if it was too easy you'd be rolling in creds like nobody's business. As it is I've got a pretty good haul from all the roids I cracked anyway, and I fluffed a few of them, so could have got more, but even so I think I'll have made somewhere around 67 million once I've sold up. I've still got loads of space in the hold and about 40 odd limpets left, so it's not like I've filled up either. So yeah, mining is pretty good money now, and actually reasonably entertaining too. It's certainly a heck of a lot better than it was before.