cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Elite Dangerous display question

Anonymous
Not applicable
Will the Oculus Rift version of Elite Dangerous display to the standard screen - non VR, 4k on laptop?
8 REPLIES 8

Orodreth16
Expert Protege
Not sure if I understood the question right...
The Rift Version of Elite Dangerous can also be played in 2D.
When playing in the Rift, the image is mirrored to your monitor.

RattyUK
Trustee
You can set the screen window size when using VR in the options menu, not entirely sure how performance might be affected by such a setting.
Otherwise starting in desktop mode (just in case you meant that) can run in any resolution supported by your PC.  I run the Oculus version in desktop mode for those times I don't want the headset on in 4K, my laptop will play the game fine in 3k (native) with a 1070 onboard 🙂
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks guys, I will check the Options/Graphics screen.

I can't run the Rift all the time, plus, I haven't gotten Voice Attack working correctly yet, so the Rift version looks good but is unplayable. I'll work on it.

The help is greatly appreciated.

RattyUK
Trustee
@S_Bumgardner  - do you use a HOTAS?  I know touch can be used as a gamepad (or a gamepad) but it gets 'complicated'...
The only annoying bit with ED is if you have played it in VR then switch back to desktop you have to go through the graphics settings to bring the game back to full screen each time.  ED in VR really needs SS to shine so maybe Oculus Tray Tool could be your friend 🙂
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have a Logitek joystick. I used the joystick and keyboard. I'm looking into filling out the Voice Attack configuration so that I won't need the keyboard.

I'll look into the Tray Tool.

I have an MSI GT73 with 4k display with a GTX 1070 Max-Q graphics system. The mirrored display is a little thing in the middle of the screen. I am not surprised that this is going to take some time to configure. Luckily I have a nice PS4 system to fall back to.

Many thanks for the suggestions.

kojack
MVP
MVP
You don't need the tray tool for SS changes, Elite has that option built in to its quality settings menu as HMD Image Quality.
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

RattyUK
Trustee

kojack said:

You don't need the tray tool for SS changes, Elite has that option built in to its quality settings menu as HMD Image Quality.

I know...   I meant to say Dar Kali's ED Profiler (in hindsight) but had my own wires crossed when I posted - with ED Profiler the game can be started with presets for VR & Pancake...   I'll blame old age 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable
If you want Oculus ED to start on Desktop Fullscreen you need to not select 3D Headphones is all. That's what this thread is about.