cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alien Isolation VR Mod - Video Guide

F4CEpa1m
Adventurer
As most of you probably know by now, Nibre has released the Alien Isolation VR mod for Oculus Rift CV1 + DK2:

https://github.com/Nibre/MotherVR/releases/

Essentially, just copy .dll file to Alien Isolation install folder and go (give or take).

Video guide is here for install, known issues, and tips:
https://youtu.be/0K1-_Oyns5k

Enjoy!!
x_0
40 REPLIES 40

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@RuneSR2 - Can you craft weapons and things with Touch Controllers now? When I played before with Keyboard & mouse, I had to use the XBox controller to craft. 

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
I did spend a few hours in-game last night, primarily getting it to work quite well with super sampling 2.0 - because the game didn't work well at all when I launched it for the first time (OTT seems to override in-game MotherVR ss settings, and I didn't see the game listed in OTT and couldn't make a profile - so global ss OTT may decide your ss). In short, to ensure optimal enjoyment of this game, it's very important to get the graphics setting right for your rig.
I deactivated antialiasing completely (very important, and you don't need it with ss 2.0), I then reduced shadows to low (but I think I kept shadow res at 2048). I turned planar reflections off (they gave some annoying helmet-like reflections anyway), and I kept volumetric lighting on. "Level of detail" (I think levels of polys depend on that one, might be more cpu than gpu demanding) and "Particles" I kept on Ultra  - anisotropic down to 2x (might be kept at 16x with no problems, but I didn't see much difference, so I set it to 2x). Then the game really looks awesome, especially the lighting - maybe it's the best lighting in a VR game?

Then again, this game didn't really feel like true VR, and of course it hasn't been developed for VR. It felt more like a 2D game inside a big screen, where I could look around. Lack of hands really works against immersion in this games - at least to me. Also this is a seated experience (the game doesn't really work standing), and walking around in-game while sitting on a chair in the real world didn't feel right. But such limitations may be expected when modding an old non-VR game to work in a HMD.

I just met the alien for the first time (it killed me :blush: ), when I quit playing last night, so I don't have a weapon yet and have not tried aiming. I did craft a medikit using Touch, but I couldn't open the barricaded doors - had to use a gamepad. I'll get back to Touch aiming later. Text in panels when crafting is very hard to read, high levels of ss may be important to increase readability (even using ss 2.0 I had to guess when trying to read several words).

You can find a Steam key for this (old) game for something like $8 to 10, and graphics are really amazing - much better than your average VR game. Graphics in Alien Isolation impressed me more than Dead Effect 2 VR.

Looking forward to more "fun" tonight B)

99jb1d6otc7j.jpg

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Sorry if these rather old videos have been posted before in here - but I just found them 😄

https://youtu.be/bwLUHEG4oNs

- And for pancake lovers  ❤️  😉

https://youtu.be/7EWe69vP1pA

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

Anonymous
Not applicable
That guy saying he's afraid to speak because he thinks it's real will have problems playing my game if I ever get it finished. I'm planning on having my alien enemies sensitive to sound. Should fuck up a few YouTubers lol 😛 😄

I love watching videos of people playing Alien Isolation and Dreadhalls in particular. Before you experience these things for yourself you think they're putting it all on and playing up to the camera. And then you try it. And you realise you need to change your underwear lol 😄

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

snowdog said:

And then you try it. And you realise you need to change your underwear lol 😄

My expected facial expressions when playing Alien Isolation VR: 

oihbwas7xha0.jpg
wso76p1gh7an.jpg

jqaacyaqa3qt.jpg

ug0x4skplieg.jpg

8r01ocbdc08w.jpg

What really happened:

2jje3uhghhoc.jpg
sq6aq97bsvyt.png
355frgmv3j82.jpg
n6gaw4kxivd9.jpg
w8w1dem4e1ag.jpg
myeherzyd2k4.png

Ok, I'm exaggerating things - yesterday I just stood still and allowed it to eat me. Had no gun. Nowhere to run. Best option was to be a nice meal  o:)

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm going to have to get back to playing this game, I need to play as much of this as I can so that I can rip it off be inspired by it for my game. 😄

Morgrum
Expert Trustee
Be sure to have depends on hand better to shat those then your undies!
WAAAGH!

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Morgrum said:

Be sure to have depends on hand better to shat those then your undies!

It's such a fun game! Right now I'm hiding in a locker 

watching

things

:blush:

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee
So I finally got around to installing Alien Isolation on Steam last night and I installed this mod straight away, really easy installation and works perfectly! Thanks a bunch !!!! 🙂

I played the first hour and I was on the edge of my seat the entire time! I was that scared whilst playing, the atmosphere is so intense!! I really love it and this has really shocked me at how good this mod works.I can't wait to finish work to continue to playing tonight! :wink:

I have a question for you guys, if this simple mod makes Alien Isolation work in VR then can't the same guy make another VR mod like this one for Resident Evil 7 on PC? 

UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

Morgrum
Expert Trustee
Because Alien Isolation was actually coded for VR in design they just never implimented it.
Thats where this mod comes in it acts like amphibian DNA in jurrasic park to fill in the gaps and get things to work.
So that a Xenomorph can scare the bejesus out of you right before it hits you with its implant attack bursting the back of your skull all over the locker you were hiding in.

Get out of the locker Rune before the Xenomorph learns that you go in thise alot.
WAAAGH!