Elite Exploration - Page 13 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Elite Exploration

Comments

• Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 1,840 Valuable Player
    Brixmis said:
    @Digikid1 - I'd strongly recommend not buying it until they fix it - if they fix it.
    Noted.  Thanks.
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,177 Volunteer Moderator
    I was watching the live stream of ObsidianAnt. The servers died when the entire expedition tried to do the first jump at the same time.

• JD-UKJD-UK Posts: 2,288 Valuable Player
    The problem here is that FD could fob it off as a one-time thing. "Oh, well it's only down to so many people doing it at the same time, it's much more players than we normally have on at the same time, so there's no real need to do anything."

Maybe they'll ban expeditions over a certain size? Who knows - we'll find out in time, I'm sure. They still need to fix the rest, though.

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,415 Valuable Player
    The thing is, with AWS and similar services these days, there's absolutely no excuse for games having server issues these days.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    I've managed to spend the time since my last post in game. Had to get the jobs done that I'd taken on yesterday before the crash. No connection issues - but then, the "other side" aren't on yet!

• RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 617
    Neo
    I think the server issues were not due to the number of folk playing, more with the number of folk in 1 location all jumping to the same destination at the same time, still messy but a little more easy to comprehend than previous issues.
    Play last night after the disconnect was mostly fine apart for the first half-hour, but did have the side-effect of rescuing my poor Clipper from caustic destruction as I was exiting a AXCZ with 35% hull after getting damage from a Scout being destroyed directly in front of my ship and me flying into the green cloud...  Disconnected witha server issue just as I was jumping out.  Server back up and me still in the CZ but at 100% - I left without saying goodbye to the locals :)
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, Gigabyte GTX 1080, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Corsair Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD 3K screen)
    On my 3rd actual day of play with the new profile I have a few million credits, a modded Cobra 3 and a modded Type 6. I really dislike the "space bus" T6 but I needed something to get the 20 boom transport missions done a bit quicker. The problem is, there are always more lucrative ones when you are dropping something off, and on it goes...

edited January 15
    If anyone is interested in a nice little boom triangle where you can make oodles of dosh and zoom up the Empire ranks at the same time, I stumbled across one while stopping to refuel.

Mu Nialfi (someone been watching too much space 1999! :D )

Degardhi

HIP 7304

They are mostly outposts, so a medium landing bay ship is required and a laden range of around 18-20LY will see you right.
    There isn't much in the way of suitable ships around the area (in a 50LY radius) and I wouldn't trust the EDDB for this area too much, either, as I found it to be inaccurate. Lots of really profitable transport missions, though. I'd strongly suggest a Python - that way you can take on the baddies as well as move 230t per go. I had a Type 6 bought locally - 204t per go, and sod-all defences. Easily evades interdiction, though.

I'll be moving on later today, so help yourselves :)

• ChazmeisterChazmeister Posts: 534
    Neo
    edited January 15
    Well I've finally got around to giving the new mining a go, focusing on roid cracking of course. Didn't take one of those sub surface launchers, which I'll try next time. Some one recommended taking two abrasion blasters as they reckoned you got two bits if you used two, but I think that's more random chance thing myself. So next time I'll swap one blaster for a sub surface launcher.

Only found one roid with void opals so far. Actually just finding ones to crack can be a little bit hit and miss, but hey, if it was too easy you'd be rolling in creds like nobody's business. As it is I've got a pretty good haul from all the roids I cracked anyway, and I fluffed a few of them, so could have got more, but even so I think I'll have made somewhere around 67 million once I've sold up. I've still got loads of space in the hold and about 40 odd limpets left, so it's not like I've filled up either. So yeah, mining is pretty good money now, and actually reasonably entertaining too. It's certainly a heck of a lot better than it was before.
    edited January 15
    Seems Roguey's and EDDB are totally screwed up just now, too - at least as far as finding ships is concerned. 2 hours wasted, following their data and looking for a Krait II. In one case, Roguey's claimed the info was only 9 minutes old, but when I got there, no Krait.

Was not a happy astronut at all. Could have earned millions in those 2 hours.

Oh - I decided to stay in that boom, area - but rather than work the triangle, I'm just back'n'forthing between HIP 7304 and Mu Nialfi, as their stations are only a few hundred Ls and less from the entry points. Why give up a good thing?

Neo
    Brixmis said:
    Seems Roguey's and EDDB are totally screwed up just now, too - at least as far as finding ships is concerned. 2 hours wasted, following their data and looking for a Krait II. In one case, Roguey's claimed the info was only 9 minutes old, but when I got there, no Krait.

Oh - I decided to stay in that boom, area - but rather than work the triangle, I'm just back'n'forthing between HIP 7304 and Mu Nialfi, as their stations are only a few hundred Ls and less from the entry points. Why give up a good thing?

Did you try the wiki? http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Krait_MkII

Just under the Overview are the known purchase locations, you'll need to click to expand the list.
    I wanted somewhere close to my current location, as I have a lot of missions on the boil.  I know where I can go to get them - just don't want to traipse halfway across the Bubble to do it.

I'm sticking with the the bus for now, though - it does enough. I've come across an Orca that I'll use to travel, once I have the fund together to mod it properly. Not sure what the range will be, without engineering, but I'm sure it will be enough. I won't be in any rush.

I've been using the FSS a lot, just to make sure I've got the proper hang of it before heading out, but the amount of USS I'm coming across, in otherwise empty systems, is staggering. It is good for scooping up materials, though. Although inevitably, some punk turns up before long, looking for trouble. Another staggering statistic - the unending train of continuous interdiction attempts. Would be okay if I had something to fight them with - but in a space bus I don't like taking on Anacondas, Pythons and Vultures, all at expert or above level.

FD still don't get it and can't get it right.

Neo
    edited January 16
    Interdiction attempts and stuff, should all now be tied into the system security rating and other stuff like that, so if you're in low sec or below systems then you're more likely to get pulled by some scrote.

I have noticed they've got a bit more trigger happy again and have started to open fire pretty much straight away upon submitting to an interdiction, whilst making their demands as they try and blow you to bits.

Certainly it seemed like that when out in my T9 the last couple of days. Going to try and haul in another couple hundred mill and then get some ships up to scratch as I've got a few on the go that require a great deal of creds to outfit.
    I did get into trouble once with the T6 - the interdiction started very close to a planet and I inevitably did an emergency crash and the guy was right behind me. He made his demands, but I was boosting from the second I regained control. Although my T6 is far from fast (280ish) I managed to stay far enough away until the feds arrived and I was out of there. No damage, except from the drop (34cr).

The same happened to me again earlier today, but on this occasion the interdictor vanished - so that worked out well, too.

The system is medium security. Today I got 5 consecutive interdiction attempts - 1st was directly after entry, then about 20 seconds elapsed, then the other 4 came directly after each other. Madness.

I started the day with around a dozen jobs to finish and had attempted interdictions on every single run - even between starports in the same system, only 49Ls apart - all the way until my very last run. And I was only delivering Domestic Appliances! I had no idea kettles and washing machines were so much in demand!

Anyway, I bought my Orca this morning, I've put that and the T6 into storage and I've set off for new adventures - i.e. more money - in my Cobra III.

Brixmis said:

I would LOVE to work the triangle but @vannagirl is having none of it unfortunately. :(
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

What about a bit of back'n'forth?

edited January 17
    Game got patched this morning. The list is long, so I'll just put a link here:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/472634-Update-3-3-02

I had a quick hour after this patch, but wasn't in a position to see any differences.

PS - reading through that forum thread, it seems there are still a large amount of serious bugs in the game. I would advise avoiding passenger missions, as it seems they can't leave the ship once the mission is complete. Glad I spotted that one.

edited January 18
    Found a good post on FD forum today - very well put:

ED does feel like some sort of perverse loyalty test. I can't believe how long I've stuck with it despite very ugly, game-ruining bugs I've had to endure for over a year... I think what we are seeing is a monopoly philosophy, as ED is the only game of its kind (NMS, SC, Eve, X4 are close, but not the same). If Frontier had real competition in this space, they'd either have to get their act together or lose a large percentage of the player base. I'm hoping that competition will be Starfield, despite the recent mistakes made by Bethesda.

Similar situation to DCS World.

If you think that Elite Dangerous is buggy just wait until Starfield is released lmfao :D :D :D

I reckon they'll release 2D Starfield and charge at least $60, then 6 months to a year later they'll release StarfieldVR and charge the same - hoping that many will cough up twice.

I won't pay that for either version. If they release a VR version, I'll have that (depending on reviews) but won't pay above sale price (say $25-30)

edited January 22
    Well, I've not come across more than 1 bug so far, with the boom transport missions and it isn't related. Just an AI ship getting stuck on the outside of an outpost. Always the same place they get stuck, always the same outpost. Managed to bump it clear once, but each other time it has "restuck" itself more firmly! This happened in both solo and open play - but it was in open that I was finally able to get my ship in the pad 3 slot.

So, up to an Orca, a Cobra III and a Type 6 all modded to the max (no engineers in standard Elite) and now 65 million sitting in the kitty, However, I didn't realise that the Orca is such a poor exploration ship with standard modules. Not much over 18LY. So I reckon I'll bin that (shame - otherwise about my fave ship) and get a Krait Phantom. That's about 28LY - laden. I'm up to Baron now, so I could use a Clipper, which are ace for exploration, but I used one last time, so keen to try something a little different.

That will easy be enough. Been doing a lot of FSSing - one good thing about the crazy number of USS is that it's allowed me to collect a large number of materials and data in a short space of time. Not too impressed with the exploration payouts, though, as I thought they were supposed to be getting a hike.

Tried a CZ properly for the first time ever, in my Cobra - killed a Vulture, but then got blown to smithereens by someone I didn't even see, in the craziest furball ever invented! Also the last time I'll be going into a CZ! :p

Managed to kill a couple of assassins in my T6 - that really made my day :) One in a DBX and the other a Courier. Have to say that the frag cannon I was packing was completely useless, though, even at close range and seeing the frags hit the other ship's shield - had to rely on seeker missiles. Then went straight back to station and binned the frag cannon for a pulse laser. Oh yeah!

So, I'm doing quite okay in "Mrs Brix" new profile. Will set off into the black, sans SRV, shortly.

If there's a queue, waiting to leave the starport, it's a good idea to simply put yourself at the back of it and then scan each ship, from the front back, before it exits the port. You'll be amazed how much data you can farm if you do this every time.

This is one of the doofers stuck on the "magnetic" outpost...

Does any one actually wait for the scanning to finish before they exit the FSS?

I don't, cos it never seems to finish. Once the materials start going round a second time, I'm off.

Is this a futuristic Hippie Farm?

edited January 22
    Here's some more news.

This evening I switched between my two accounts - logging out and then in with each in the main UI. I did not have to authenticate between the two accounts. I had read on the FD forums, some guy complaining because the authentication had to be carried out with each profile swap - this is not true. Maybe it's been changed since, maybe he didn't actually know, but it is not necessary, which is good news for me :)

Secondly - @Chazmeister - I tried the wiki today, and chased a long distance around 4 starports to shipyards that the wiki claimed were selling Krait Phantoms. None of them had such ships on offer. Then I realised I had not seen any of the 2018 released ships for sale at all, anywhere. Then it hit me - they are only available to Horizons owners.

I had sold my 3 ships for nothing :(

However, I bought a Python and still have 60 million in the pot, so I'm going back to the "golden triangle" and gonna ramp it right up and earn a few dozen million and then maybe bugger off in a Clipper, or maybe buy Horizons and use the Krait Phantom... :smiley:

What really shocked me - I bought that Python and thought it would be useless for exploration anyway, due to the low jump range, right? Well, I jumped into my Brix account to do some friends/group admin and guess which ship I was in? Yup - a Python. Had completely forgotten I even bought it - and the range is, da-da-da-daaaahhh! 40LY! :o

Oh yes... I'm going exploring in my Python ;)

Don't talk to me about bloody hippies!!! Global warming my arse. It was snowing here earlier and it's fucking freezing. I'm going to find myself some fossil fuels to burn tomorrow so that we can all warm up a bit lol :o :D

Neo
    snowdog said:
    Don't talk to me about bloody hippies!!! Global warming my arse. It was snowing here earlier and it's fucking freezing. I'm going to find myself some fossil fuels to burn tomorrow so that we can all warm up a bit lol :o :D

Ahhhh.... but ahhhh..... paradoxically global warming could actually lead to an increase in colder winters, which will lead to even more global warming as we burn more fuels to keep warm. Oh, there's just no escaping from it. I'm taking the next ship to Mars. There's very little atmosphere there, so none of this will matter, you can stick the heating on full blast and not give a shit.
    edited January 23
    Luuvin my Python - even though I've not managed to get any decent modules for it.  There's something really refereshing about just travelling the systems and doing what I like, not bound by contracts or anything else. Collected a huge amount of high grade materials now - I'm only dropping into the encoded USS, which always have the good stuff. Mind you, there's always someone wants to take it away. Got a Challenger, a Crusader and a Type 10 this evening - well pleased. Almost added a Python, too, but he escaped with 30% hull left (I forgot I still had my scoop extended when I was trying to boost after him.

After my trials and tribulations with the missiles and pulse laser, I decided to swap my hardware for something a bit more aggressive. I kept the pulse laser on fire 2, and had two groups of cannon on 1. Works very well, I can tell ya. Especially when my fire button got stuck and emptied two entire magazines' worth of rounds into the guy. Loadsa fun! Actually, do those turrets auto fire? If so, that'll explain it. Awesomeness :D

Python gunship:

Ok @Brixmis....help me out here. You quit the game only to turn around and use another account to play the same game...

:/ 
    edited January 23
    I had got to an impasse in my first profile. I need something to aim for and achieve - after all, I've been playing this game for around 4½ years. Starting afresh was the only real solution, but I didn't want to throw away all that I had achieved in the last 2 years, since I last reset my profile. So I made a new account so that I could start from scratch. Plenty to achieve and much to aim for. I will have two commanders - one at each end of populated space (22,000 light years apart).

The gameplay I'm doing right now is very basic stuff. Transporting goods - a little bounty hunting, and not much can go wrong with that. If a new player were to start playing right now, I think he'd very quickly become frustrated, because he (or she) would come across the many bugs present when carrying out various tasks or missions within the game, that I'm deliberately avoiding, because I know they are broken.

If you are happy to put up with bugs and things not working as they should, go ahead and buy it. Normally I would recommend buying Elite and Horizons together, but I am managing very well with just the base game (but then I know it well and knew what I would be missing from the start). Might not be a bad idea to do that. Get the base game and see how you get on. A lot of the bugs are present only in Horizons, though, so that's another reason, perhaps, to leave that until later.

As long as you know what the situation is, you can make an informed decision :)

No cash right now.  Will wait until it is on sale. 
  • MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 1,718
    3Jane
    I've just rebound Thrust and Pips on my 16000m HOTAS. Before I had RightJoystick Hat as Thrusters and Left Joystick Top Thumb Hat as Pips. Then I thought it was counter intuitive having a sideways orientation hat to the Pips which show up on the Righthand side of the HUD. So it clicked these would probably work best the other way around.
    I've got the Throttle's Finger Joystick for Lateral & Vertical and found it best pulling up as DOWN due to the way we can swing further down as we are also pulling the R/H Pitch backwards so they act in the same directions. The only thing with this is coming to land so I use Landing Override which changes Throttle's Finger Joystick from Vertical to Forward/Backward. It's just nowhere as fast to land as I had it before but I do prefer the Pip on the R/H.
    How do you set yours CMDRs? 
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,177 Volunteer Moderator
    Deep core mining is interesting. I just took my anaconda out to a low temp diamond hot spot. After two asteroids the server shutdown warning went out. I did one more asteroid and returned to the station. Over 24,000,000 for that quick trip. The station was buying diamonds for around 598,000 and alexandrite for over 400,000.
    There was another valid asteroid right next to me, but I wanted to get back before the server went down.

Usually I don't like the anaconda, but it has room for all the mining stuff I wanted to try. The fact that deep core mining means you are flying inside of the cracked open asteroid with near 0 temp and reduced visibility makes it fun flying a large ship. :)

I set up the game to use my Space Pilot Pro as alternate input again (I didn't have it set up since the last time I reinstalled the game). 6DOF analog control can be handy.
    I haven't needed it in the asteroid field yet (my HOTAS and pedals are fine), but it's ready. I mainly just used it to do some precision flying around stations. :)

One annoyance: alternate input mode doesn't have forward/back thrust. You can set pitch, yaw, roll, lateral and vertical. Luckily there's 3 different forward/back thrust methods besides alternate mode: throttle (set to my throttle), digital (set to my 2 way china hat on the throttle) and analog axis (set to my Space Pilot Pro's axis).