cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Evasion is awesome - best First Person Shooter on the Rift?

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
2wan8wgwa60i.jpg

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1037808739680311/

Admitted I did think that $40 was a bit much, especially because this game didn't look "Lone Echo"-good in the trailer - but 2D trailers just can't capture the VR magic. 

This game is very polished and is easily worth $40 (possibly even $60) - if you like the genre. You've got wide open areas in this game, and it's much like Doom, but slower (at least with the Warden character) - possibly more tactical, but not that much. You have a shield in one hand and a weapon in the other, and you do use the shield constantly - well I did playing the Warden (much like a moving Tiger Tank 😉 ) You can choose between different hero classes when you start the game (Surgeon, Warden, Engineer and Striker - each with different weapons and abilities) - read more here:

https://evasionvrgame.com/#classes

lmgzkzq3u5n3.jpg

Touch controls are great - there's free locomotion and smooth turning. And you've got real arms like in Lone Echo and Marvel Powers United  ❤️ - Real arms are definitely another star for the rating  😄 You choose your height when you start the game - and you choose if you want to shoot using your left or right hand. You can use one hand to shoot while carrying a shield in the other hand - furthermore you can retract energy (batteries) from defeated enemies, quite awesome - but do remember to go through the tutorial to learn the controls. Crouch can be set to a button or you can crouch in the real world 😉 In this game the devs have more or less thought of everything when it comes to controls. 

29u8kjuagh38.jpg

Music and sound effects are great - and I liked the voice acting too. In some perspective this game resembles Seeking Dawn, but it's much more polished and simple compared to Seeking Dawn. And Evasion is (much) less hardware demanding.

vjl5178duccs.jpg

Graphics are nice, not sure it's AAA, and this game is also available on the PS4. The PC version has better textures than the PS4, and there're many video settings you can change (post processing, shadows, antialiasing etc) but polygon levels seem similar to the PS4 version. That's not necessarily a bad thing, because it means that this game is highly optimized and doesn't require much cpu power. And you can shoot the environment - how cool is that - check the trailer - notice how you can destroy parts of your surroundings: 

Old trailer - but shows maybe better than the launch trailer how you can destroy your surroundings (awesome physics may be one thing making this game really stand out):

Using a GTX 1080 I had to use super sampling 1.5 or lower to get solid 90 fps - and antialiasing set to low while all other settings were maxed out. So performance is quite similar to Lone Echo. Using super sampling 2.0 especially distant textures looked more crisp adding more depth, but then I got 45 fps ASW, occasionally 90 fps - still using low antialiasing and all other settings maxed.

egnpsdcjh51k.jpg

Antialiasing is quite demanding, but using high levels of super sampling antialiasing becomes less important - still using super sampling 2.0 it's possible to see benefits of antialiasing set to High. To get solid 90 fps using super sampling 2.0 you'll probably need a 2080 Ti. I didn't notice much fps gain reducing shadows or post processing. 
The game looks nice using super sampling 1.5, textures aren't super-sharp like Ethan Carter or Transference, but they're still quite good. ASW works great, and yes 90 fps no-asw is awesome, but 45 fps asw works really well, so to me 90 fps or 45 asw is no big deal. 

fpaxc98ohdjo.jpg

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

MINIMUM:

• Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    • Processor: Intel i5-4590
    • Memory: 8 GB RAM
    • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
    • DirectX: Version 11
    • Network: Broadband Internet connection
    • Storage: 10 GB available space
      RECOMMENDED:

• Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    • Processor: Intel i7-4770
    • Memory: 16 GB RAM
    • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti
    • DirectX: Version 11
    • Network: Broadband Internet connection
    • Storage: 10 GB available space

Room scale and standing position are recommended, I tested the game using 3 sensors. 

All in all this seems like a fun shooter - it's not gory like Doom, so young teenagers can play too. I didn’t test multiplayer and co-op. For now I'd rate the game 4.5/5 - ok, that's 5/5 in the Store 😉

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

14 REPLIES 14

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

I'm close to completing the game - just need to complete the final level, which is a truly amazing level - got me thinking of this quote (admitted, it fits Lone Echo better, but you get the idea):

I really had a blast (pun intended) playing this game last night. It's not that the game isn't repetitive, but it's simply great fun to play - perfect number of enemies, well-chosen enemies and the bosses are awesome. 

Doom VFR and Arizona Sunshine are much darker (18+ rated games) and I have to be in a special mood to play those games, while Evasion is much more easy going. Maybe more like Serious Sam, although Evasion is more serious (pun intended - again 😉  B)

I'd like to up my rating from 4.5/5 to 5/5  o:)

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
A new patch for Evasion just arrived - I installed it yesterday, the size is 2GB. I didn't experience any problems with the patch. More info here from the developers:

New challenges await the Vanguard in Patch 1.03!

8 DECEMBER - ARCHIACT_MEL
The holidays have come early to Evasion, and we're happy to bring some of the highly requested features for the community and new recruits. Last month we addressed those sore trigger fingers by adding some light auto-fire functionality to the player weapons, and we have more in store starting today.

INTRODUCING DIFFICULTY SETTINGS

While we were excited to hear that Evasion was accessible to all skill levels, we know there were some members of the Vanguard that wanted to take on a new challenge, and some players that wanted options that best fit their skill level.

We've got you covered.

BULLET-BREEZE
In the easiest mode the enemy shots deal less damage to the players. This is a pretty forgiving difficulty and is suitable for a brand new player. Some caution is required however, as a reckless player can still be overwhelmed.

BULLET-HECK
This is a fairly challenging fight. Enemy shots are fired with better accuracy and deal full damage. A skilled player will excel.

BULLET-HELL
As the toughest mode, Bullet-Hell requires players to use every ounce of skill they can muster to survive. Enemies lead their shots to hit players that are moving around, and deal extra damage with every hit. Players need to be careful, keep their shields up, and use more cover.

WHAT ELSE IS NEW IN PATCH 1.03

- Added two new achievements to unlock in Bullet-Hell difficulty
- Some gameplay improvements to the Megatoma and Skimmer behaviors
- Mission tuning to support the new difficulty settings
- Some improvements to how enemies react to player tethers
- Increased the Engineer damage
- Engineer can now do a quick flick and release with the Tether Lash to finish the enemy
- Improved the Surgeon self-heal feature when killing an enemy with the Tether Lash
- Fixed an issue that sometimes prevented achievement progress from being saved (unfortunately any unsaved progress can not be recovered)
- General bug fixing and polishing

Happy holidays from the Evasion team to yours!

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Evasion is today's Daily Deal - I can't see the price though:

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1037808739680311

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee
I missed the sale, how much was it going for? I would buy this game eventually buy not for £30.
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

This is a shortened post from another thread, but it may better belong here - the post is about my experience with Evasion using a RTX 3090 video card and the Rift CV1 ss 2.0:

Today's awesome RTX 3090 experience was Evasion - using my heavily oc'ed GTX 1080 (same speed as RTX 2070 Super desktop model, not the slow mobile version) I got 45 fps and had to remove all antialiasing (but using ss 2.0 it wasn't that bad). With the 3090 it's solid 90 fps using EPIC settings all the way (including maxed out antialiasing even when using ss 2.0). 

I found Evasion like 10 times better than the boring Doom Eternal pancake - and for the first time I experienced Evasion with no restrictions (admitted, the CV1 SDE is not exactly hidden in this often bright game, would have preferred the Index, but CV1 is still nice). 

There aren't that many great VR shooters - and of course all bow to Alyx, but Evasion is great fun, although probably best limited to shorter sessions. It's more an arcade shooter with full locomotion and smooth turning - and extremely large enemies (even bigger than the enemies in Alyx I think). I 've only tested the singleplayer part though. Also there're nice physics in the game - fun to shoot and destroy rocks and more.

Not sure any of the Evasion reviews still count if you're using the RTX 3090, because none of the reviewers in 2018 could experience the game like we can today - thanks to the brute force of the Series 30. 

RuneSR2_6-1622365048596.jpeg