cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Receiver VR with HydraDeck controls (Updated to v1.1)

Teddy0k
Explorer
Hello again Rifters,

I'm back with a new VR game! This time it's a port of Wolfire's first person shooter Receiver;

Download v1.1: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1KRnJKwYT-0aFJScnY4ZkdZZWc/edit?usp=sharing

Receiver was created for the 7-day FPS challenge to explore gun handling mechanics, randomized levels, and unordered storytelling. Armed only with a pistol and an audio-cassette player, you must uncover the secrets of the Mindkill in a building complex infested with automated turrets and hovering shock drones.

The key mechanic in this game is the realistic gun controls and procedurally generated levels. It's really atmospheric and a great VR experience, let me know if you have any feedback!

Big thanks to the Wolfire team for allowing me to release this standalone VR only version for FREE!

Changelist
v1.1
-Fixed need to recalibrate after dying
-Fixed calibration being incorrect after dying
-Added camera rotation using the joystick (when RB is held down)
-Changed the revolver "Insert Bullet" to button 1, and "Eject Casings" to button 2
-Fixed players sometimes spawning with extra magazines they can't use
71 REPLIES 71

genetransfer
Explorer
So lets see if we can kill something... lol. great work, your other vids are great aswell!

Frito
Explorer
a veryveryvery honest thank you teddy!!!
Backer "Have faith." -Palmer Luckey

VRoom
Honored Guest
As always amazing work Teddy! Thank you for your continuous work 🙂
While I prefer Hydra Cover Shooter (simply because there's so many interesting details to look at and there's even a little puzzle), it's interesting how easy it is to set up Hydras correctly in Unity demos. As in Human bodies demo, set up positional tracking in Receiver is trivial and it worked the first time I tried... while in Hydra Cover Shooter I only managed to make it work correctly one time and never again.

Anonymous
Not applicable
can't wait to play this tonight. you realize how much better your demos will be when we figure out some proper wire management and we get our STEM(s) in?

baggyg
Protege
Thanks, I'm downloading as we speak! Lots of people have said this is a perfect game due to art style etc. Cant wait to try it out!

baggyg
Protege
Hi Teddy,

I'm having a little trouble getting this calibrated right. In the fourth step I presume you put the right hydra to the back of your neck? For some reason I always seem to be halfway into the floor. Is there also a way to rotate without actually rotating your body or perhaps a way to play without the chest hydra (and use that for rotation instead)?

Frito
Explorer
Wow teddy, you and Wolfire team deserve a medal, this is my new favorite demo. Its so damn hard too.

Ive read about Receiver some time ago but never got to try it, its genious and proof that regular fps weapons wont do it in a future, here comes 1:1
Having 2 different handguns was a nice surprise too

In a moment of magic my doorframe was just aligned with the virtual wall and I accidentaly felt it while i was aiming. i stood touching that wall like 5mins, crazy.

As for feedback, theres some heavy clipping sometimes and those drones are assholes :mrgreen:

thank you and the team again
Backer "Have faith." -Palmer Luckey

DarkJames
Honored Guest
This was great!

Unfortunately the PC I have access to with the Hydra/Rift lags with it, but it was still lots of fun! 🙂
Seeing is believing

Teddy0k
Explorer
"baggyg" wrote:
I'm having a little trouble getting this calibrated right. In the fourth step I presume you put the right hydra to the back of your neck? For some reason I always seem to be halfway into the floor.

Yeah, you need to touch it to your neck, just like in this guide;

If it doesn't feel like the right height, your hydras are probably acting weird. Try placing them in the cradles on the base and then restart the game.

"baggyg" wrote:
Is there also a way to rotate without actually rotating your body or perhaps a way to play without the chest hydra (and use that for rotation instead)?
Not at the moment. Partly because I ran out of sticks & buttons, but also because allowing the player to rotate the world can cause some motion sickness.