New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

roomscale seems terrible.. why even use it?

Hey everyone,

I recently bought another sensor for what I thought was going to be an amazing roomscale experience.
However I'm here to say I wish I never would have bothered buying the 3rd sensor and here's why:

I spent dozens of hours trying to get the right setup so that I'd have a legitimate 360 experience with 3 sensors that has no tracking loss. Ultimately this is proving to be impossible as no matter how I arrange the sensors the touch controllers seem to lose a slight bit of tracking in one of the facing directions. This is especially noticeable when you play a game like lone echo where it often asks you to do small/precise gestures like swiping your wrist to get your objectives open. 90% of the time it's great but if you're facing that one deadspot direction you're probably going to get some loss.
After all of that time getting completely frustrated that I just cannot get a smooth experience I realized that I had more fun when I just didn't turn around. 

Every vr game has an option to turn manually via the analog stick.

I found myself actually becoming apprehensive that I would lose tracking while turning around and focusing more on that then on actually playing the game. 
It actually ruined my enjoyment with Lone Echo because it's such an immersive experience... until your hand starts drifting away from your body or the screen starts shaking because the hand you're using to grab onto something has lost tracking slightly. I'd just turn the game off in frustration at yet another failed attempt to setup a smooth experience.

Then you have the other immersion breakers like approaching the boundaries of your play area or getting tangled up in your rift cable.
All of that just makes me want to ditch roomscale all together.

I might have a different tune if I could get reliable 100% tracking in every direction but that doesn't seem possible and buying a 4th sensor seems to do very little from peoples reports. 

I understand that the roomscale tracking is 'good enough'. It is good enough from a gameplay standpoint. I've never lost a echo arena game because of tracking and I am often facing every which way while playing that. 

However; from an immersion perspective it leaves a lot to be desired. I can't just wonder about my play area without worrying about sensor loss. I always have to be
cognisant of which way I'm facing and where I am in the room so that I can stay in the golden zones/directions. it's more hassle than it's worth having to worry about that when I could just stand still and have a perfectly smooth experience without ever seeing any boundries or dealing with cords or tracking loss.

Other thoughts on this? Am I just doing something wrong or does this sum up others feelings on the matter?

Comments

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 1,780 Valuable Player
    Even when playing sitting or standing, the 3rd sensor gives you much better tracking - playing Lone Echo with 2 sensors was a nightmare, sensor 3 was godsent. 2c. 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • MikeFMikeF Posts: 510
    Trinity
    sounds like your bad experience is primarily due to sensor issues. If you can work out the tracking problems room scale is amazing, even more so when developers actually take advantage of it and work it into game design
  • nightshade253nightshade253 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    MikeF said:
    sounds like your bad experience is primarily due to sensor issues. If you can work out the tracking problems room scale is amazing, even more so when developers actually take advantage of it and work it into game design
    Primarily yes but from my understanding it's not possible to have complete 360 degree tracking with zero tracking loss in any direction. 
    From everything I've read you should always get a tiny bit of loss in your deadspot direction. 
    Maybe I'm expecting too much but every time my controller or something starts to wonder because i'm facing 'that' direction again I just want to hurl the whole setup in the closet. 

It feels like wasted time and effort buying the third sensor for 'roomscale' if I can't get flawless tracking in every direction.

• MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,445
    Project 2501
    Even though its unsupported I run 4 sensors and I have no loss of tracking.
    WAAAGH!
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 13,298 Valuable Player
    Primarily yes but from my understanding it's not possible to have complete 360 degree tracking with zero tracking loss in any direction. 

That's completely untrue. I've had 3 sensors for over a year and the setup makes it 100% possible to have 0% tracking loss in every direction. Two sensors in the front and the 3rd in the rear.

Any direction you face will have both hand contollers fully tracked.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane