cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Earth is broken

dawn_lawson_5
Honored Guest
Either that, or the world has become completely white. I got the Go because I have very end stage COPD and I can't travel. I REALLY like the idea of looking around. Should I uninstall and reinstall>
14 REPLIES 14

zipp7638
Explorer
You also (besides downloading virtual desktop to your occulus Go),  have to download the streamer app at this site and install it on your pc for virtual desktop to work with your pc.
https://www.vrdesktop.net/

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

T00Lman said:

Hi Dawn, don't give up. I am in the same position as you. Also COPD and not a fysical world traveller anymore :-). There are some travel options: I have bought Wander (looks like streetview). Also bought Nature Treks. This is really fun, but a VR environment. I see that today SkyTrek is cheaper. You can fly above cities, but don't know if its good.
I see you have bought Virtual Desktop. You can install the free version of Google Earth on your Surface Pro 4, but the controle from within your Oculus is difficult. I have tried it, but not yet found out how to do it simple...
Gala360 (free) does give you also some nice world views. However, in the app there are pay ads if you want to get more.

Actually SkyTrek is pretty good on the Go.  It's probably the best poor man's version of Google Earth VR with higher end PCVR like the Rift.  No street view though and mainly just USA and a few UK ones.  Graphics are pretty basic but it's kinda fun and pretty inexpensive imho.  If you do not like it you can get a refund pretty easily if you bought it from the Oculus Go Store.

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/go/1612336165492390

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

dawn_lawson_5
Honored Guest
Thanks guys! Okay--I got the Rift. I really, really want to travel. (TOOLman I had to fly from Florida to California with a broken rented portable. Almost died. No more flying.) Problem. Has an HDMI cable all ready to plug into my laptop, but my laptop wants nothing to do with it. I ordered an HDMI converter. Anything I can do in the meantime? I bought Wander, but it seems like wherever you go, you are standing around on the same street, with signs in different languages. Thanks for the streamer app zipp!

dawn_lawson_5
Honored Guest
Have the Rift. Got a thingie for the HDMI, and a thingie to turn one USB port into two USB ports, apparently the Oculus wants three USB ports so it's sensors can be attached. Can I set it up without the sensors? I'm gonna order another USB thingie, but I don't plan on lunging around the living room. I just want to travel. I REALLY want that Google Earth 3D thing. I should add that I don't have much patience with electronics. When my printer started mangling everything that went through it, I got a hammer and beat the crap out of the printer. When I found out I needed yet one more USB port for the sensor I do not want to connect, I managed to semi-calmly set everything to the side. Thanks.ou0puwb64sbr.jpg

realjaqenhghar
Honored Guest
Hi Dawn, did you get something working?