New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Hi From Another New User in Awe + Potential Issues/Questions

AlextendedAlextended Posts: 52
Hiro Protagonist
edited January 2019 in Oculus Rift S and Rift
Hello,
my set arrived and I've been playing with it a lot. The First Contact demo was an amazing way to show it off, I loved it, much more than all other "introductory" software I've tried since, like The Lab, everything worked so brilliantly and it was so polished I wish they developed it further to give it some replayability (just put you in that same room and have the robot start different mini games and tasks, like give you the gun for target practice with an actual scoreboard and things, they could even make DLC for the robot to get different diskettes to give you, ha). Anyway. I'm truly in awe, I've played several other games since and the feeling continues. I just finished SUPERHOT VR and it was shorter than I expected sadly but I really enjoyed the game and hope we get a VR version of the Mind Control Delete upcoming expandalone as well. I've played others like Robo Recall, In Death, Beat Saber, Moss, Onward, Skyrim VR (I never liked Skyrim and gameplay systems aren't much better in VR but it's cool to see such a world in VR, the scale is amazing), Blade & Sorcery, Lucky's Tale, Thumper and more but none of them too much, SUPERHOT VR was so good and with such instant gratification in a somewhat meaty package that I played it nonstop, haha!

Anyway, with all that aside, I do have one observation to make. You all know that little laser toy gun you get in Oculus Home (I guess it works a lot like the First Contact toy gun), right? So I find that when I use that I can do all kinds of crazy things like effortlessly aim at targets without even looking down the sight of the gun, I can hit the little table tennis balls from a reasonable distance, hit them again as they roll along in motion going off to the side, it just works so well it's crazy. I'm talking one shot one hit as intended most of the time, not to simply use the bright slow laser ball like a tracer round to make the next shot accurate after correcting my aim. I'm sure you've all felt that.

However, when I play a shooting game like Robo Recall which is supposed to be among the most polished, I find that I'm not nearly as accurate, I have to make an effort to line up the gun sights for distant targets (or use the many "cheat" accessories and sights various guns have) and occasionally can waste a whole pistol clip without hitting a robot that's not even moving around. Does anyone know what's with this disparity? I do get a bit better as I play more but the feeling of that toy laser gun was amazing, it felt like a real object. Are the guns in these other games simply not tracked as well or don't have the proper bullet paths/exit points coded? Or is the stereoscopic 3D they employ not as good to give you the correct depth perception to pull off such things? I don't understand so if anyone could give me a few pointers or maybe suggest a game that works as well as that toy gun or just give me a reason why the toy gun is easier to aim and tell me that it's possible to get just as good with Robo Recall but there are good reasons you don't start that way, I'll be relieved and appreciate it either way.

I suppose it was similar to Robo Recall in SUPERHOT VR but in that game you're in slow motion, can take your time to aim the pistols and other guns have a programmed spread/recoil so it's not really about aiming all that well anyway, some Robo Recall weapons also have recoil but I'm talking about standard old pistols that should be accurate, at least as long as you don't go crazy on the firing speed. It's also similar for the bow for me, it's impeccable in Oculus Home and fairly easy to line up targets but in a game like In Death (another with good reception with good reason, it seems quite nice) it took a lot of practice to hit anything and I still can't do it consistently, haha.

Feel free to also make this a general newbie response thread too, anything you'd suggest to any newbie is good for me regardless of the specific topic, from set up and hardware to games and other software I might not know of. One other question I have for example is, when I run a game off Steam, it seems to then run both the Steam Home and the Oculus Home, brought up with different buttons each, doesn't that put a strain on the PC resources for no reason and is it possible to actually disable either (or both) of these features (not just rebind the buttons but not have them load/run in the background at all) and dedicate all of your PC to the given game alone?

For some specs in case they make a difference, I'm using an Oculus Rift with Touch Controllers on an older i7 3770K overclocked to around 4GHz and a GTX1080 so most games run beautifully at max settings without a hitch as long as I don't crank up the supersampling. I'm using two sensors in a front facing setup for now but since my play area is rather small, once the active usb 3 extension cables I've ordered arrive I'll try to make it a 360 setup (like this guy, though I imagine it can be done better since he did it before the official experimental support) and if that doesn't work well then I'll eventually get a 3rd sensor once there's a good deep sale on some European amazon I can import from (I can't find the sensors sold separately where I live).

Thanks for reading and it's good to be here, VR is every bit as good as I hoped for before finally buying a set and I'm glad I went for Oculus as currently it has the best price to features ratio (even compared to cheaper WMR or PSVR) and I feel it will remain competitive even when future sets are around, it doesn't run too high resolution which can be negative but also means your PC can run the games easier and the controllers might not have full hand/finger tracking like upcoming technologies but I feel games will be able to work with it well enough with its intuitive set up compared to something like Vive. I hope to be using this for several years without problems personally but I also understand others who buy the newest thing every year or two, I'm hopeful the current Rift will accommodate me well :)

Comments

• YoLolo69YoLolo69 Posts: 1,114
    Wintermute
    edited January 2019
    Good first post, welcome aboard!
    I don't have tons of time so short answer : probably the aiming angle differ for all those different games (the angle between you real hand and the game aiming target). I played all and I had to adapt each time. Some games allow you to change this angle (can't remember from memory).
    For you configuration I have the same one (I7 3770K and GTX1080). My Cpu is OC at 4,45Ghz exactly (with a big Noctua Fan to refresh it), and my GTX have around 10% OC. It's a pretty good configuration even if our CPU is old (2012) and it can handle pretty all games at max or high setting. I always use a supersampling of 1.5 for all my games/app and that really make think less blurry, I can't play without that (set through the Oculus Debug tool or through the OTT app you'll find around).

If you don't own it I highly recommend Lone Echo, the adventure game. You don't shoot but it's a very good experience.

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 3770K OC 4.6GHz, GTX1080 OC 10%, 16GB DDR3 2448  OC, Oculus Rift CV1

• AlextendedAlextended Posts: 52
    Hiro Protagonist
    Hi, thanks for the reply. That's pretty sad but at least you learn to adapt. I already did a decent run playing In Death (now that I've finished SUPERHOT VR I had time for other software, ha), I got to the first weird portal to the nightmarish place and unlocked the crossbow which is much easier to work with (but honestly also less involving for this game, but if it's gonna throw crazy enemies at you like some I've seen already and in large amounts then it's also necessary I guess). I hope more games in the future get it right like Oculus Home/First Contact then. I do want to get Lone Echo but have a lot of other stuff already purchased and waiting in line to play. Maybe when the sequel arrives and the original may be on discount ;)

Speaking of In Death that teleport shard is a pretty novel movement method that I enjoy. Are there any other games with such things? I was thinking that as nice as the teleport shard is, I'd have enjoyed it more if it wasn't an object but rather a preset 2-4 metre (maybe upgradable with perks and stuff) teleport-dodge ability that you'd activate with just a hand motion to the direction you desired while holding the shard button input. You'd have less control over it (but you have the teleport arrows for precise aiming anyway) but you'd be able to use it easier to dodge enemy attacks and even back away from pursuing enemies or go through them to get behind them. Waiting for the shard to fall on ground makes it more cumbersome than it needs to be for such a purpose though I still find myself scrambling to use it in that manner anyway.
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited January 2019
    Also time FLIES in VR, I put on the HMD when there's light and I close the curtains to avoid it and by the time I finish a session it's already three hours later and everything has gone so dark I'm surprised the tracking still worked, ha!
  • RudalplRudalpl Posts: 41
    Brain Burst
    I don't really like all those shooting games but as Robo Racall comes free with the headset I gave it a good shake.
    My impressions were quite opposite. I couldn't hit anything with that "toy" gun in Oculus Home while Robo Recall went flawlessly but I'm basically cannon fodder in all shooting games so...

And do try the Lone Echo. It's story based game with "go there, do that, move this, bring that" gameplay but the visuals and 0g movement are amazing. And you don't have to shoot anything  ;)
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited January 2019
    Holy cow, I just played the free Mission: ISS thingie and daaaaamn. I thought Echo VR had SMOOTH zero gravity controls but they really need to implement the two-handed rotation ISS employs. It's amazing, so intuitive and also so convenient for all the front-facing VR set ups like mine is at the moment. Everything else control related Echo VR does a little better and smoother and easier and more natural but it's sorely lacking this option, they could even enable one-handed rotation for advanced users in the Arena mode where you can't grab with your gun hand maybe. Anyway, it certainly beats turning around with analog sticks, I didn't have to use that at all in ISS after a while which meant it was fully 100% immersing! I mean, I was standing in the middle of my room yet after exploring the station for a while and going around the various modules and tasks I almost didn't know which way is up any more! Then going to that first space walk mission, it became so unnerving for absolutely no reason, the feeling of being there was just, amazing! I hope they patch these controls in Lone Echo as well because I read it doesn't have that, hopefully the sequel will have that and also retrofit it to the original by that time! If it makes the robot arms look weird they could make it an option for people to enable that will then only show your hands and not the arms as well perhaps, I know which trade off I would prefer personally. Anyway, I can't wait for more such awe inspiring experiences I have to look forward to!

Also I guess I'm super lucky and get no motion sickness in anything I've tried yet. I still appreciate when games employ free-roaming analog stick motion and they have an option to reduce the FOV a bit (but I think many go too overboard with it, it could be subtler with the same effect but less ugly looking I think) as it makes it easier to manage but I usually turn that all the way down (but not off). When there's movement in the direction I'm not looking towards specifically it can get a little weird, like I feel like I might lose my balance or as if I'm about to fall, kind of like people feel they will off that plank challenge thing, but I don't actually get sick if I continue and I get used to it once my brain realizes I'm not actually falling over I guess.

I also tried the VTOL VR thing, the interactive cockpit implementation is excellent, I love doing the start up proecedure before finally taking off. The game itself doesn't amount to much just yet, it's very early access with a lack of content and hardly great visuals and seeing as I managed to fly effortlessly I guess it's also more arcadey than a sim but the cockpit experience is sweet, I hope there are meatier games like it out there to find (maybe that Navy pilot thing?). I know there are full space and flight games and simulators like Elite Dangerous or IL2 Sturmovik or DCS but I don't think they have the same kind of fully interactive cockpits since they weren't made for VR first (and some of them being full real simulators the cockpit would have way too many switches in close proximity and what not which much make it harder to handle than the made for VR simpler stuff).
  • dburnedburne Posts: 3,067 Valuable Player
    If you do not get motion sickness in ISS you are good to go.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • RudalplRudalpl Posts: 41
    Brain Burst
    edited January 2019
    I play Elite Dangerous since beta times and only recently (finally!!) tried it in VR and I was blown away.
    Unfortunately there's not much game play for VR, you just sit and watch the stars passing by but the cockpit experience and when you approach the station is just amazing.
    I spent my first 2 hours in VR Elite just jumping from system to system and landing and taking off at star ports  :D

PS: I haven't played Mission ISS but in Lone Echo you can unlock in settings that right stick will turn you left/right and up/down and left stick will rotate your position so you can be upside down if you know what I mean.
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited January 2019
    I've seen the stick options in Echo VR, that's the only way for me to turn when I don't have a 360 set up after all. There's stick turning and pitch in ISS (snap only, I guess it's an oldie before people got accustomed to fully free movement).

My point about ISS was you do not have to use the sticks or other abstract input (when it comes to controlling "yourself" versus using a joystick to control a vehicle where a layer abstraction is the expected norm), you use your actual hands to rotate, you grab the environment with two hands a bit apart, one more forward and the other more backward (or rather one higher, one lower as you're standing) and then shift them to switch so the hand that was higher is now lower, sort of like you're turning an imaginary physical giant steering wheel, but in your view it turns the space station as if you can effortlessly move the whole station when in (virtual) "reality" it's your body that changes orientation relative to the station. Echo VR does everything else smoother and better than ISS but they need to implement this method to make it even more seamless and realistic when you don't have to use analog sticks to turn (at least for those without a 360 setup where they can't just turn around for real). it seems like it would be simple to implement, maybe they haven't seen it, I really hope Lone Echo II has it.

And yeah I don't think anything will make me motion sick, maybe some vertigo and disorientation at worst. I just finished a long session of In Death where I primarily used analog stick movement as long as the level layout made it possible and smooth turning (at like 180 degrees per second) and I had no issues at all. I reached the first boss and everything for the first time thanks to having unlocked the crossbow (I died, I hate bosses that spawn a ton of minions and I didn't have enough explosive arrows I suppose). After that run I also tried playing that way sitting and that worked even better since I then didn't have to keep in mind my orientation at all (when I play standing every so often I stretch my arms to get the boundaries visible, I have them shaped in a way that tells me which way is forward to ensure I'm not turning too much and lose tracking in the heat of the battle, ha) and only turned my head to aim to my sides, maybe a tiny bit toward the back too, lean around corners and what not, and for any larger turn I used the stick, it felt very very comfortable, not odd at all any more. But I'll prefer to play this game standing when I get the 360 set up going for sure, it  kinda felt like cheating and less immersing too.