cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying a replacement HMD

cybernettr
Superstar
I posted earlier about how my headset was experiencing a random flashing while I was using it. Now the problem has gotten worse with it frequently blacking out, so I opened a support ticket with oculus.  After some back-and-forth with support, it appears that the problem is not resolvable by email, and it is out of warranty.  The next step may be getting it repaired or replaced.  Knowing that repairing electronic devices often just isn't worth it, I'm thinking of simply buying a new or remanufactured replacement HMD.   However, is it possible to save money by buying just a headset? Since I already have the carrying case, the sensors, and the Xbox and touch controllers, I don't need new ones.  I could just look on eBay but I'd rather not mess around with that. 
18 REPLIES 18

cybernettr
Superstar
The CV1 has been out a little over a year now, a lot of people's warranties are expiring, and I suspect a lot of HMDs may start to develop faults with NO repair or replacement path by Oculus.  :#

Narcoleptic_Rag
Explorer
You do realise that not offering a repair or replacement service is actually illegal. Even if outside of warranty you are required by law to allow for customers to have the ability to retain the proper service, even if paid for or be be held liable for every service you have denied each and every Australian customer if a complaint is made to the ACCC.

It would be better to make some money from the replacement parts & repairs than to lose money in multi-million dollar fines. Especially since the product is still currently being sold & the parts are still being manufactured.

Apple & Valve have already been sent through the wringer over such practices already. In fact it was Apple that triggered the crackdown on poor after sales services after warranties.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Truth be told it happen to me too soooo I now feel OP pain now:) granted this is an old thread - but I feel like a follow up would be nice at this point.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I've had my Rift since release back in 2016, and it's been through hell n' back; not just from me but from multiple family, friends, and colleagues. The closest issue I have had so far is that one of the speakers came lose, which was easily remedied with a screwdriver.

If my Rift got damaged and it wasn't something that could easily be fixed or repaired... I'd just buy a new one. Because $350 is mighty cheap compared to the launch price of $600.

Anonymous
Not applicable
The problem, at least for me, is that I have all the cameras and working controllers - so buying another set just means I am stuck with extra stuff I dont need - sure I could sell it - but that also means I have to be in the middle for any returns/warrants plus finding someone willing to buy it.

For any price less - it just going to make it a better deal than paying the full price - really - why can't they just sell the HMD stand alone? Just seems weird to me at this point. I mean I understood at the start maybe why - but now it just seem a bit strange.

Yea mine work - that night before. I take care of mine and put it up each time. Just the next day it stop working after I got done playing and went to bed. It wasn't drop, kick, or bash into anything. Just fail. I do wonder if it still wasn't a bad firmware upgrade (I do hate how it pushes updates without asking if it is ok first). Oculus on the other hand said - they wouldn't even look at it as it was outside of warranty.

In a few more months it wont matter anyways - I will be telling people to hold out on getting a CV1 as it'll be better off to get either the Oculus Quest or wait for the CV2.

GATOxVoS
Heroic Explorer

You do realise that not offering a repair or replacement service is actually illegal. Even if outside of warranty you are required by law to allow for customers to have the ability to retain the proper service, even if paid for or be be held liable for every service you have denied each and every Australian customer if a complaint is made to the ACCC.

It would be better to make some money from the replacement parts & repairs than to lose money in multi-million dollar fines. Especially since the product is still currently being sold & the parts are still being manufactured.

Apple & Valve have already been sent through the wringer over such practices already. In fact it was Apple that triggered the crackdown on poor after sales services after warranties.

Not in the USA 🙂

Afaik, the manufacturer only has to guarantee the product's working life within the warranty's period (if the product even has a warranty to begin with). If the product fails outside of that warranty, it's up to the customers to "vote with their money" by purchasing from another company the next time. It's a real "Buyer Beware" situation over here 😕

We can file complaints about bad products, but unless it's something really egregious you're out-of-luck. In the end, when you purchase something over here you're signing the Limited-Liability agreement that accompanies the product: an agreement which the manufacturer writes which usually heavily favors the manufacturer in terms of repairs/replacements outside of the warranty. Always check your warranties people!
PC Specs:
Intel i7-6700k @ 4.5 Ghz
Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3 Motherboard
RTX 2080 Ti - MSI VENTUS
16 GB CAS-10 RAM @ 2400 MHz
Startech 4-port/4-USB controller add-on card
850W Corsair HX850 PSU
4-Sensor, Roomscale Setup

Richooal
Consultant

@Narcoleptic_Rage
I've lived in Australia for a loooong time, I've never heard of such a ridiculous law. Please provide a link, I'd be happy to be proved wrong on this.
i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

LeeWheeler
Honored Guest
You have in the EU 2 years warranty under LAW, it supersedes ANY warranty offered by a company.   Just quote that at them !

cybernettr
Superstar
 I see Best Buy offers a two year extended warranty for $70. I'm going to need it, because my SECOND rift just went on the blink!  I was using it tonight to play Skyrim VR and I noticed the strange, intermittent flashing that I noticed with my first one, but this time it gave me little advance notice, because just minutes after I saw the flashes, the headset went completely black! I tried restarting the computer and I got about one minute of use out of the rift when it blacked out again!  I could tell the Rift's connection to the computer was still good, because the mirrored view on the monitor updated normally as I turned the headset around in my hand.  Obviously, the little screens in the headset are going out. 

Meanwhile, the iPad I'm composing this message on I've had for five years of daily use, and it still works like new! I had an iPod touch that I used daily for six or seven years and it worked fine until the day I switched to an iPhone.  So going through two rifts in three years is not a great track record of longevity.