Elite Exploration - Page 14 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Elite Exploration

Comments

• JD-UKJD-UK Posts: 2,288 Valuable Player
    edited January 24
    Yeah, I see this as another issue with the game. I know new players are unlikely to be able to buy anacondas off the bat, but my experience has shown that it can be done within a week of normal play.

Payouts are getting silly for some things, while remaining poor for others. In a game that tries to force you into combat one way or another - and never stops that attempt, combat is very poorly paid, in comparison to other activities. Whilst simple transporting for systems in boom state and now mining (in the right areas, of course) are being paid highly.
    Whilst earning millions per hour on transport, each time I looked at the combat missions I was gobsmacked at how little I would earn, in comparison. I had intended for this profile to be much more combat-based, but why, when I can earn so much doing other things. "Kill 30 enemy ships for 300,000cr" - erm, no thanks - I'll make triple that on a run delivering half of what my hold can carry ;)

A concerted effort to balance income across all facets of the game is, imho, badly needed - but then I think it has been for a long time and I can't see it happening now.

edit: btw, @Digikid1 ; - there have been a couple of patches released since the update which may have fixed some of the issues, but I have seen complaints on the FDev forum saying things haven't changed. As always, it's swings and roundabouts - some seem to be happy with the fixes whilst others aren't. I've been avoiding things reported as broken by the update, so I don't know what now works and what doesn't. I suppose I could have a go at varied activities with my first profile (as I can bear any profit and rep loss quite easily with that) and find out (what I can, at least).
    Reading through the patch notes and responses on the FDev forum, it seems quite a few fixes have been implemented, but there remain many issues to address.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/forumdisplay.php/74-Patch-Notes-amp-Server-Status

• MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 1,715
    3Jane
    Comat pay goes up after about 10 jobs. Pretty much how the game works for most things where you must rank up with a Faction for anything better offers.
    BUGS: so far I've only noticed NPC can still lose your control and need blown up; NPC Fighters can still remain alive after mothership is destroyed; Network issue with Multicrew when a Ship is frozen and can't be destroyed (probably due to the previous case just mentioned.
    Targeting PowerPlant is blowing the Ship up (has half Hull left) and so unsure we can Pirate and Disable Ships. Not tried any new Scanner and find the Controls are getting seriously over the top to bind. I like the NPC Chatter and it feels connected to the context and live!
    What we should have is an ability to interact with NPC via chat/voice messaging. VoiceAttack does it already!
  • ChazmeisterChazmeister Posts: 534
    Neo
    edited January 24
    MAC_MAN86 said:
    I've just rebound Thrust and Pips on my 16000m HOTAS. Before I had RightJoystick Hat as Thrusters and Left Joystick Top Thumb Hat as Pips. Then I thought it was counter intuitive having a sideways orientation hat to the Pips which show up on the Righthand side of the HUD. So it clicked these would probably work best the other way around.
    I've got the Throttle's Finger Joystick for Lateral & Vertical and found it best pulling up as DOWN due to the way we can swing further down as we are also pulling the R/H Pitch backwards so they act in the same directions. The only thing with this is coming to land so I use Landing Override which changes Throttle's Finger Joystick from Vertical to Forward/Backward. It's just nowhere as fast to land as I had it before but I do prefer the Pip on the R/H.
    How do you set yours CMDRs? 

After upgrading from my old HOTAS X to the 16000m quite a while back, I sort of kept things similar to the way I had them before but obviously with a lot more options. So my hat on the stick does my vertical thrusters up and down and my lateral thrusters from left to right. I have the finger stick on the throttle doing the forwards and backwards thrusters, by pushing it forwards and backwards! I always had the hat on the stick setup like that on the old stick and never bothered with the forwards and backwards thrusters as I just used the throttle to control that movement. With all the extra hats and buttons on the T16000m stick and throttle though, I can do so much more.

One of my main reasons for getting it was so that I could set the side panels to toggle on a hat. So I use the large middle hat on the throttle for toggling the navigation, comms, system and role panels using left, up, right and down respectively. I've since added other functions to that hat due to the new exploration stuff and whatnot in the new update, with a shift button (button 3 on my stick). I use left and right on my finger stick to cycle through fire groups and the rudder paddle I just use for sensor range. Lots of other stuff on the buttons and hats on the throttle with extras using a shift button etc.

Trying to remember what I've put where can be a bit of a pain sometimes, especially stuff like general targeting commands and subsystem targeting cycling, which as I'm not doing much combat right now, I often forget what I've put where. Once I start getting into combat proper, which finally at long last will be soon, I should get a feel for where it all is again. I have things like light, heat sinks, chaff and shield cells setup on the base of the stick and I'm often firing off a heat sink or chaff by mistake.

I do have voice attack, but I hardly ever use it. Even after having done the voice training several times, it still never feels quite reliable or responsive enough to bother with in ED for the majority of stuff as it's easier and quicker to just push a button. So I usually just use it for slf pilot commands and similarly I also use it in IL2 for wingman commands.

Well got myself up to a billion creds doing a bit of deep core mining. Tip: if you exceed your optimum yield and go into the red with your charges, just disable the offending charge if you have time and fire off another. I only just realised this after reading it in a guide somewhere just now, after having fudged numerous asteroids. 80% of the time you can put 2 3 bar charged explosives into 2 low strength fissures and get optimum yield every time, and then once in a while it decides that it's too much. I've got a feeling the accuracy of the shots play into it a fair bit too, so if they're dead on, then 2 at 3 will be too much for low strength but if you're off the mark a bit then they'll be just right. So after a while I tended to err on the side of caution and do one high charge in a low strength fissure followed by a medium charge in a low fissure and then popped a few low charges into some high strength fissures until I got the optimum yield. Even in a T9 I could easily maneuver around to make the shots, although I did cut it close a couple of times. Never took any damage from a detonation. From what I could tell, you'd have to be right up close for that to happen. Most I ever used to get was a little nudge from the shock waves, no shield damage or anything, and that was from sitting not too far back from the blast.

So, got the billion and then promptly spent about 200 million, just buying 2 modules for my Corvette, not A rated I might add, as even I'm not crazy enough to spend near 150 million creds on a module, and I also bought the base Mamba and FDL ships, with no creds spent on outfitting either yet. So down to just over 800 million already and still have lots of stuff to buy for them. Just wondering whether to swap the T9 for a T10 but the difference in price is quite considerable as the T10 is a pricey beast. However unlike the T9, it can actually put a fight.

Anyway next up, sort out my new rides, and test out my Alliance Crusader which I've fitted out for Thargoid busting. Something tells me it'll be the Thargoids doing all the busting though.

Edit: Oh yeah, the cockpit of the Mamba looks great. In fact the new ships seem to be getting some really good quite detailed cockpits, which makes me wonder if they'll go back and do an art pass over the older ones at some point to bring them up to a similar standard. The cockpits in the older ships now just look really plain and bare by comparison to the likes of the Krait Mk2, Chieftain and the Mamba
    3Jane
    edited January 25
    Tip: for Fire Groups you only need one direction of Cycle, try it on your Right Button beside the Stick Hat and similar for SubTarget on the other Left Button(I use Cycle Previous as it's closer to PP but always begin with 6 presses from VoiceAttack first). Using a dynamic finger stick as a switch is under usage and potential miss-triggers. However, I use the Thrusters YAW to Cycle Targets and it does go crazy at times and needs a cleaning spray. 
    I was surprised to notice the JStick Hat animates presses. Never noticed when I used it for Thrusters beforehand.
    One major advantage is the Thrusters Middle Finger Button under the Finger Stick which I set UP=FA OFF and DOWN=ZERO THRUST. My Finger Stick Press is BOOST.

I found VoiceAttack could never understand "Chaff" until I spelled it as "Chath" but due to many accidental triggers I now say "Drop Chath". It now hardly understands "Disengage" easily but is starting to learn it from me. I use "Drop Out" or just the shared "Jump" as coms. It does respond best if you set the main exe to Run As Admin for i7s which provide 1 Core for Gaming and sacrifice Multitasking. I disable Echo Cancelling as my room is very dry.

Oh one finding on my new Dell i7 8700 was that for E:D it is much better to get ASW to kick in and limit to 45fps rather than set it to be mostly 90fps. I got all max settings and HMD=1.5 to force it and hardly drops below this. Otherwise there are times (about 1 each few hours) when the screen jumps of has a moments freeze!
    edited January 24
    Chaz - I changed from the intially snazzy "see the UI panels by looking at them" to having them on a hat, as well. I much prefer to be able to see clearly out of my cockpit and choose when to see the panels.

I agree about Voice Attack, but I have been meaning to set up dwVAC to use for the FSS. I have the controls mapped to easy to find controls on my throttle panel, but I'm growing tired of dancing my fingers around the switches to operate it proficiently. I already have a dwVAC profile for Elite, so I'll just modify it for the new stuff. Don't want voice control for everything, just the excess. The nuts thing about voice attack is that if a I reel off a load of nonsense when not running a profile, it seems to understand almost everything!

I take it you've given up on getting a Cutter, then? As for spending too much upgrading - this morning I had 60 million and a Python. I've since earned several million, yet still find myself with just 20 million after upgrading the modules now. So around 45 million - and they aren't all A rated either - though as it is primarily a fighter, I have A rated the thrusters, distributor, power plant and FSD and D rated the rest.

I have fallen for the trap of splashing out on top rated shield cell boosters as well. Why trap? Because firstly, I always forget I have them, and secondly, the shields invariably get taken out pretty much instantly, and the booster is only of use with partially destroyed shields. I suppose it would be useful once the shield comes back online, to get it up to full strength quicker. I'm getting ballsy in my old age (but not as old as Ratty :p  ) What makes me laugh, is that when I was a proper "rookie" with the new profile, in a Type 6, they sent expert assassins against me, in Anacondas and Vultures and the like. Now I've gone up a rank or two, and fly a souped-up Python, they are sending novice pilots in DBX and Dropships and the like. Nuts.

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,413 Valuable Player
    I quite like my Python, was surprised by how manoeuvrable it is. Haven't played any Elite Dangerous for a week or so, need to get mining so that I can get my Elite status for Trading at some point and then arm it to the teeth for some Haz RES bounty hunting to work on my Combat rank for a bit. Then I'll switch it all for D grade modules and do some exploring outside the Human Bubble for my Exploration rank.

Probably won't go for Elite for my Combat in all one go though, will take too long.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,177 Volunteer Moderator
    edited January 25
    Digikid1 said:
    No cash right now.  Will wait until it is on sale. 
    For the next 3 days, Humble Bundle has Elite Dangerous Commander Deluxe (orig game + horizons) reduced by 76%. https://www.humblebundle.com/store/elite-dangerous-commander-deluxe-edition

I was intending to try some CQC with this profile - until I watched the official video:

If I'm going to have 'space duels' against other people, imo it should be me in my ship against them in theirs - no power-ups, stealth mode bonus or such-like. So I doubt I'll do it now.

edited January 25

kojack said:
    Digikid1 said:
    For the next 3 days, Humble Bundle has Elite Dangerous Commander Deluxe (orig game + horizons) reduced by 76%. https://www.humblebundle.com/store/elite-dangerous-commander-deluxe-edition

It's also drastically reduced on the Frontier website store :

https://www.frontierstore.net/games/elite-dangerous-cat.html?game_format=128

This is seriously cheap!

**I've bought the Horizons pass for Mrs Brix account - and the sexy Celeste systems voice! Oooh, lucious! :D

Nice.
    I'd go for the Frontier store over Humble Bundle then. HB is a steam key, while the Frontier store is the Frontier launcher (so no steam needed and not tied to the oculus store) and nobody else takes a cut.

It seems the british pound price is better on the frontier store. It's listed as 9.60 pounds or $14.40us, but at the current exchange rate 9.60 pounds is $12.62us.

Hmm, if I bought a second account I could use it on my laptop to multicrew to my Python and get an extra pip to assign. :)

• ChazmeisterChazmeister Posts: 534
    Neo
    Brixmis said:

I take it you've given up on getting a Cutter, then? 

Me? Already have a Cutter, had one for ages. I've used it almost exclusively for running trade loops and cargo missions.

I was taking my time doing missions and building up my rep to get the rank for a Corvette though, which finally I also did a little while back just before Christmas. So I'm in the process of upgrading that and fitting it out. I haven't yet decided what I want to do with it right now though ie combat v human NPC's or Thargoids. Against Thargoids you are limited to just 4 hardpoints equipped with experimental weapons, so it seems a shame to use a ship with more than that for the job. On the other hand you can fit it with the big experimental weapons, so...

Gonna need to go on another big materials gathering exercise now, to get my new ships up to scratch. Running very low on stuff for FSD range tier 5. Got loads of arsenic, and other metals and minerals, just the other stuff I'm short of, especially on the data side of things. Took the Mamba down to see Felicity, it's mostly A rated now, and even after a few grade 5 boosts for FSD range, it still only does a max of little more than 20ly. Much like the FDL, its range is crap, as is its internal options. No military slots in the Mamba, which is a surprise given that it's purely a combat ship. First ship I've bothered to set my power priorities for too. Never bothered before as I've always been of the mind to run away before things get that bad that my power plant is getting zapped, and any low power issues due to underperforming PP's can easily be sorted with some low tier engineering now.
    3Jane
    To me if a Ship hasn't those "Military" Slots (just as the Kraits don't) then it's left open to anything you prefer as Combat Ship anyways. Those with "Military" Slots are only allowed Armour in them and is why they are classed "Military".
    Brixmis said:

kojack said:
    Digikid1 said:

It's also drastically reduced on the Frontier website store :

https://www.frontierstore.net/games/elite-dangerous-cat.html?game_format=128

This is seriously cheap!

**I've bought the Horizons pass for Mrs Brix account - and the sexy Celeste systems voice! Oooh, lucious! :D

Bloody hell, is it her doing the voice? :o

I always lusted after the short waitress with the long hair from that programme but I wouldn't kick ANY of them out of bed tbh, unless it was to get them out for my morning tea and breakfast of course :p
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

edited January 25
    Chazmeister said:....
    Gonna need to go on another big materials gathering exercise now, to get my new ships up to scratch. Running very low on stuff for FSD range tier 5. Got loads of arsenic, and other metals and minerals, just the other stuff I'm short of, especially on the data side of things. Took the Mamba down to see Felicity, it's mostly A rated now, and even after a few grade 5 boosts for FSD range, it still only does a max of little more than 20ly. Much like the FDL, its range is crap, as is its internal options. No military slots in the Mamba, which is a surprise given that it's purely a combat ship. First ship I've bothered to set my power priorities for too. Never bothered before as I've always been of the mind to run away before things get that bad that my power plant is getting zapped, and any low power issues due to underperforming PP's can easily be sorted with some low tier engineering now.
    It's very easy now, with the amount of USS you get in a system and find with the FSS. I've got a huge amount - even high grade materials - from these already. I've been gobsmacked at the amount of encoded USS there are about (at least in the area I'm operating in - deep in Imperial territory) and I often get 3 and sometimes as much as 4 lots of data from them, too.

That little 'operation' we had concerning the Thargs has put me off somewhat, tbh. They're not even on the edge of my radar these days. I will go and get the necessaries again for my new profile, so I can fit the Python with an FSD booster - but then I'll be off to Colonia. Now I have Horizons, I can finally pick up more planet-based materials for the necessary engineering and FSD synthesis for those longer jumps and phases of brown stars. Hopefully won't take more than a couple of months before I can set off (or leave it so I can set off at a future date, after perhaps another break).

I'm really looking forward to hearing Celeste in my ship, though, after 4 years of Verity :)

• Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 1,840 Valuable Player
    kojack said:
    Digikid1 said:

Yeah but it mentions nothing about VR.....is this the VR or the 2D version?
    Ended up getting the Humble Bundle Version as I am heavily invested in Steam as well.  Thanks for looking out for me gents!!!!  Cost me $20CDN.  Hell of a bargain.

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 2,036 Valuable Player
    edited January 26
    Haven't read many posts in this thread - just wanted to say that I got Elite to work yesterday after installing the latest patch - without having to take off my HMD or having to turn on my monitor - that was great. 

Now I haven't played Elite for (6?) months, but clearly performance using ss 2.0 had greatly improved - you might even say that I was impressed, doesn't happen often ;)

The game even responded to my Touch controllers, but only a few buttons, had to grab to gamepad - but so far so good... If I hadn't got my family, I'd probably be flying my spaceship in Elite right now!  :D
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
    RuneSR2 said:

The game even responded to my Touch controllers, but only a few buttons, had to grab to gamepad
    I haven't tried, but in theory my Auto Oculus Touch would let you use touch controllers as a gamepad in Elite. (Even steering/thrust using touch tilt)

Has anyone been able to assign keyboard controls in addition to HOTAS/controller ones for the FSS and detailed surface scanner?

My plan to use voice control for those might be scuppered before it gets off the ground :(

Wait.....no touch controls?  I wasn’t aware of that. 
  • nroskonrosko Posts: 953
    Neo
    RuneSR2 said:
    Haven't read many posts in this thread - just wanted to say that I got Elite to work yesterday after installing the latest patch - without having to take off my HMD or having to turn on my monitor - that was great. 

Now I haven't played Elite for (6?) months, but clearly performance using ss 2.0 had greatly improved - you might even say that I was impressed, doesn't happen often ;)

The game even responded to my Touch controllers, but only a few buttons, had to grab to gamepad - but so far so good... If I hadn't got my family, I'd probably be flying my spaceship in Elite right now!  :D
    Did they improve performance recently? must be over a year since i played this game but even at 1.6 it was falling into ASW. 
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 2,036 Valuable Player
    nrosko said:s 
    RuneSR2 said:

Did they improve performance recently? must be over a year since i played this game but even at 1.6 it was falling into ASW. 

When I tried Elite the first time it was ultra-smooth, even when using high levels of super sampling, but after - I think it was - the giant 3.0 patch, performance was much worse, nearly constant asw, but graphics did look better - I think they added solar animations and much more. Yesterday I still noticed some asw, but far less than last time, especially when using the navigation panels etc in the ship. So my observations are relative to 3.0, not older versions.
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
    Don't bother with Celeste voice - big disappointment and sounds nothing like the demo on the store page. I cringe each time I hear it.

• RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 617
    Neo
    Brixmis said:
    Don't bother with Celeste voice - big disappointment and sounds nothing like the demo on the store page. I cringe each time I hear it.
    Sorry about that Brixmis, but at least you saved me wasting my pennies :wink:
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, Gigabyte GTX 1080, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Corsair Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD 3K screen)
    Get Vasco, it's awesome!!!

edited January 27
    Vasco? Never heard of it - I did have a look & listen to all that were available (the others are all male) but don't recall that one - or are you referring to HCS voices?

At least I only paid £2.50 for it. I'll make a recording at some point - you can tell me what you think. I think it sounds either like a posh English bint, with a very poor attempt at a French accent, or a French bint who's lived in the UK for a very long time and doesn't speak much French any more.

Edit: I found a vid on YT:

Vasco is one of the HCS Voice Packs with Brian Blessed. It was worth every penny I paid for it, especially when he starts playing Flash. 'Oooh, it's Queen! I like Queen!' :D :D :D

Yeah, I was referring to the ones available from ED shop. In fact, I just checked in the Livery bay at a starport and saw that we can have any of the default voices fitted - doesn't have to be our system language. I had a listen to all of the ones available - French, Russian, German and I think it was Spanish - and as the English speaking 'French' girl had disappointed so much, I took the pucker French lady, Emilie, instead! Now she sounds far more convincing than the paid one! Even though I don't understand most of what she says, I know the lines by heart now, so no worries - and sounds really sexy :D

I was thinking of using the German one, as I speak the lingo - but it's a bloke! Yuk! (so is the Russian voice).

As far as HCS goes, I have two voices. The first is ASTRA - as that was the only one available when I bought it. I did get another one gifted by HCS, but I don't know who it is. I don't use these packs for the same reason as others - VA is too unreliable. I'm currently using my own profile with dwVAC. I have had to remove any potentially catastrophic commands, just in case they get accidentally activated (once bitten, twice shy), but it does work very well. Just wish I could use it for the FSS.

Holy crap what an over complicated game....I spent 20 minutes just trying to dock in the base in the training mission.....then another 15 minutes bouncing around in the hanger just trying to get it landed.

Said screw it and went for a trainer on mining....which I was actually good at....so went to mine in the solo mode and only guns were popping out on my hardpoints.....never figured that one out.

LOL!!!!!!!!!
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 617
    Neo
    Digikid1 said:
    Holy crap what an over complicated game....I spent 20 minutes just trying to dock in the base in the training mission.....then another 15 minutes bouncing around in the hanger just trying to get it landed.

Said screw it and went for a trainer on mining....which I was actually good at....so went to mine in the solo mode and only guns were popping out on my hardpoints.....never figured that one out.

LOL!!!!!!!!!
    If you would like a 'mentor' for a hand-hold give me a PM, be glad to help as much as I can :)
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, Gigabyte GTX 1080, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Corsair Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD 3K screen)