New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Is it okay to leave rift plugged in and inside the box? Heat concerns.

CBGENESISCBGENESIS Posts: 1
NerveGear
edited January 25 in General

I keep my Rift plugged in at all times and when it’s not in use I keep it in a closed oculus rift headset only box with the cable running out the side.

I’ve noticed that when I’ve had the PC powered on and the Rift isnt being used it’s still getting really hot to the touch on the top and front of the rift while it’s inside the box.

I have the oculus runtime, home and all services related to oculus disabled when the headset is not in use and stored in the box with the pc powered on but it’s still generating a insane amount heat inside the box when not in use.

The heat generation is pretty bad and I can easily feel the heat from the rift just by touching the top of the box

How can I stop the Rift from producing this much heat when not in use but plugged in to the system. should it not be in a sealed box plugged in?

Answers

• DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,290 Volunteer Moderator
    Personally I'd either unplug it or not put it in the box.

Generally, all electrical equipment benefit from ventilation as their component's lifespan can be affected by heat, not just from temperature itself but from changes in temperature... board mounted components can be stressed by the expansion and contractions caused by the heat cycles. It's a tiny amount of stress but it adds up over time.

I keep mine plugged in but it rests on tip of my scanner when not in use. It doesn't seem to collect much dust, with only an occasional brush of the lenses required and I use a lens brush for that.
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18363.535)
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,061 Valuable Player
    No. 
  • RichooalRichooal Posts: 1,250
    Wintermute
    I was just wondering why you haven't got a box over your PC in that picture. I suppose it would over heat maybe.
    i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - 0 PROBLEMS