New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Post your Skyrim VR reviews and impressions and discussion here.

Comments

• JD-UKJD-UK Posts: 2,294 Valuable Player
    *seems Steam Overlay needs to be running to take screenshots, otherwise it's a convoluted and not worth it method to get it to work. Think I'll leave it.

Thanks, anyway.

• PhoenixSpyderPhoenixSpyder Posts: 227
    Nexus 6
    The button combo for screenshots doesn't work for me either. I guess for me it's because I use OpenComposite instead of Steam VR to run Skyrim VR. Huge performance increase for me doing this.
    i7 8700k @ 5ghz, Asus Rog Strix Z370-E Gaming, MSI 1080ti Gaming X @ 2050Ghz + 11.4Ghz ram, 32 GB Corsair Veng DDR4 2666 Ghz, Adata SX900 SSD, 1TB M.2 SSD, Adata Su800 SSD, Adata SU650 SSD, BarraCuda 2TB HD, Oculus Rift, Odyssey Plus, Windows 10 Pro 1903
    "Presently developing a VR project (outside of my profession) due to the lack of availability of what I would like to experience" Details in a year or two...
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 967
    3Jane
    Brixmis said:
    System button + Trigger
    I tried it, but doesn't seem to work. I probably need to set something in Steam options? I normally use external programs for screenshots and recordings in games, so if this is the Steam screenshot function, I'm guessing it isn't set up correctly.

Just had a look:

I've no idea what that is in the screenshot key box :/
    Mine differs...   but does work with hold left 'touch' button then trigger :)

Wonder if changing your 0 to a 2 would do it?
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)
    edited January 5

The button combo for screenshots doesn't work for me either. I guess for me it's because I use OpenComposite instead of Steam VR to run Skyrim VR. Huge performance increase for me doing this.
    That's a good point - so do I - however, Steam still has to be running.

RattyUK said:

Wonder if changing your 0 to a 2 would do it?
    I'll give that a try.

**actually, I just noticed that you have Steam Overlay enabled - that's probably why it works for you.

Nexus 6
    edited January 6
    Brixmis said:

That's a good point - so do I - however, Steam still has to be running.

Actually, I accidentally closed Steam before starting Skyrim VR (running with OpenComposite) earlier yesterday and didn't realize it wasn't running till I stopped my Skyrim VR gameplay after a number of hrs. The reason I know this happened is that Steam keeps track of the amount of time you play a game while Steam is open. When I looked at my present hrs accumulated in Skyrim VR, it still said 560 hrs even though I just played about 4+ hrs...(should have shown 564 hrs). At that point Steam wasn't running in the background as in normally would have been. So with OpenComposite running, it looks like Steam doesn't actually need to be running in order to play Skyrim VR. As far as I know I didn't notice any performance improvements without Steam running though.

Oh yes, I forgot to point out that I don't start Skyrim VR from the Steam menu or Steam itself. I start Skyrim VR from a shortcut on my desktop that is registered to MO2. Thus no need to access Steam to run it.
    i7 8700k @ 5ghz, Asus Rog Strix Z370-E Gaming, MSI 1080ti Gaming X @ 2050Ghz + 11.4Ghz ram, 32 GB Corsair Veng DDR4 2666 Ghz, Adata SX900 SSD, 1TB M.2 SSD, Adata Su800 SSD, Adata SU650 SSD, BarraCuda 2TB HD, Oculus Rift, Odyssey Plus, Windows 10 Pro 1903
    "Presently developing a VR project (outside of my profession) due to the lack of availability of what I would like to experience" Details in a year or two...
    Me too - I'll give it a go ;)

Nope - didn't work - got an error message saying I had to start Steam.

Within a minute of starting I got a CTD - and then an error when I tried to restart it. Like last time, starting the default version of SkyrimVR from Steam fixed it (without actually playing at all - just got as far as the load menu, then quit).

Nexus 6
    Yes, this is correct. For me it must have been a glitch, as I cannot repeat the process again. MO2 tells me Steam needs to run. Very strange that it happened yesterday and didn't record my time in Skyrim VR.
  • ElusiveMarlinElusiveMarlin Posts: 273
    Nexus 6
    Somehow I seem to have broken my game save and now cannot complete any mission that has me going to Winterhold!  
    I was working my way through the Thieves Guild Missions and just started the "Hard Answers" quest, where I need to "Speak with Enthir in Winterhold"

If I travel there as soon as the view loads I see the town for 5 seconds and then it just CTDs!
    This only happens when visiting Winterhold.
    I can go anywhere else and it is fine, but Winterhold is a no-no.
    (I have been to Winterhold many times previously, without issue.)

Does anyone have any idea what I can do to regain access to Winterhold?
    I do have MODs installed, but they are only texture mods.

I have tried a complete reinstall of Skyrim, including an uninstall and removal of old folders, but still it crashed when reloading the save game at this point?
    I've tried the above both with and without MODs deployed too, but no difference.
    I have rebooted my VR rig, but still it is the same.

I am 200+ hours in, and do not want to have to start all over again, so any help greatly received.

I have the savegame file if it is of any use?

Thanks
    RIFT CV1
    RIFT S

Leeds, UK.

Intel Core i7 8700K 3.7GHz | RAM 32GB DDR4 2666MHz | GeForce GTX 1080 8GB |
    240GB SATA III SSD | 3TB HDD | 867Mbps Built-in Wi-Fi

"Behind every mask there is a face, and behind that a story...."
    When you did your complete reinstall, did you find all the related files and delete them after it had uninstalled?

• Jake_DragonJake_Dragon Posts: 100
    Art3mis
    Somehow I seem to have broken my game save and now cannot complete any mission that has me going to Winterhold!  
    I was working my way through the Thieves Guild Missions and just started the "Hard Answers" quest, where I need to "Speak with Enthir in Winterhold"

If I travel there as soon as the view loads I see the town for 5 seconds and then it just CTDs!

I have tried a complete reinstall of Skyrim, including an uninstall and removal of old folders, but still it crashed when reloading the save game at this point?
    I've tried the above both with and without MODs deployed too, but no difference.

I am 200+ hours in, and do not want to have to start all over again, so any help greatly received.

Thanks
    If you have done all of that. Create a new game and see if it does the same thing. If it does then its a mod. But if it works fine then your save is corrupt. 
    Nexus 6
    Thanks for the tips. I'll give them a try when I'm back home this weekend. 

I'll keep you posted.

Cheers
    RIFT CV1
    RIFT S

Leeds, UK.

Art3mis
    Thanks for the tips. I'll give them a try when I'm back home this weekend. 

I'll keep you posted.

Cheers
    Don't feel bad, my game is messed up. It wont start the next dragon born quest so I am doing other things instead.
    Nexus 6

Thanks

Sounds like you need to clean your save game scripts. If you remove mods from your game they leave scripts attached to your saves which will cause lots of issues with your game including CTD's, pausing, hanging, etc... Use the tool below to fix your save game.

Ugh - last night, after what had been a couple of night's really good Skyrim seshes, I started feeling a bit off during the trek to the Eldergleam Tree. I had passed Ivarstead and was in those sub-water dungeon/caves (whatever they are called) with all the mage type weirdo mutant things and the lizard guy who needs rescuing (Darkwater Pass?).

I fought back the feeling and carried on, fighting through Fort Amol and its dungeons - and I think that was the final straw. Suddenly felt extremely sick and had to rip off the headset to avoid puking in it.

The good news is that I recovered really quickly - so no harm done as far as jumping back in later, but it looks like the nausea may be set off in dungeons and caves or generally darker scenes. It's only in this game that that applies, though - otherwise I'd be in trouble in Elite as well (although come to think of it, I get pukey in that on the dark side of planets).

That could be a problem, as there are so many quest-related dungeons and caves in this game. Oh well - straighten shoulders, head up and onwards!

• Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,835 Valuable Player
    I lost all my mods when my HDD went awry. Now that NMM has changed to Vortex does anyone have an updated guide on installing mods please?

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • FastForward352FastForward352 Posts: 176
    Art3mis
    edited January 8
    Deleted : old draft from 2 weeks ago just published (???), problem solved
    Asus X99-A MB | i7 5820K @ 3.30GHz | Asus ROG-STRIX 1080Ti | 32 Gb RAM | SSD SAMSUNG 500Go M-2 |  Samsung 40" 4K Screen | T500RS & TH8A Shifter on Wheel Stand Pro | TM Warthog & Combat Rudder Pedals | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | OCULUS RIFT CV1 - 3 Sensor roomscale setup

• FastForward352FastForward352 Posts: 176
    Art3mis
    edited January 8
    deleted : old comment, problem solved
    Asus X99-A MB | i7 5820K @ 3.30GHz | Asus ROG-STRIX 1080Ti | 32 Gb RAM | SSD SAMSUNG 500Go M-2 |  Samsung 40" 4K Screen | T500RS & TH8A Shifter on Wheel Stand Pro | TM Warthog & Combat Rudder Pedals | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | OCULUS RIFT CV1 - 3 Sensor roomscale setup

I tried Vortex, but found it problematic. I reluctantly tried MO2 and have found it pretty much perfect - both for installing mods and for sorting out problems without too much hassle.

Does anyone know if the default keyboard commands are still valid for the VR version? I'm thinking about making a voice command profile of my own.

Nexus 6
    edited January 14
    Brixmis said:
    I tried Vortex, but found it problematic. I reluctantly tried MO2 and have found it pretty much perfect - both for installing mods and for sorting out problems without too much hassle.

Does anyone know if the default keyboard commands are still valid for the VR version? I'm thinking about making a voice command profile of my own.
    Yes, MO2 is far better.

The keyboard bindings should still mostly work the same as the non-VR version. You should try them out as you need, to confirm.
    edited January 15
    Yeah, I'll do that - I'll post one way or the other.

I do have a further question, though - is this the case with the PC/VR version as well?:

you can have multiple profiles on the one system. As Ben has stated, simply select new game from the main menu, create your new character and once you have finished save the game. When you wish to save be sure to select new save because if you just select another save that is already present, it will overwrite your previous characters save game. Also try not to have too many save files for each character as it can get confusing trying to find a file if you have multiple characters on the go!

If so, I'll start a fresh profile for testing the keys and the voice commands with.

Nexus 6
    edited January 16
    After some testing over the weekend, I have got myself back into Winterhold!

I had to roll back 20 game saves to a point where I could enter without CTD.
    I still have all the same MODs enabled, so must have been corruption in the save file that carried over with every subsequent save.

I've since played for a further 20+ hours, and saved games without any issue entering Winterhold, though I am going down a separate quest line from the original "Thieves Guild" quest. 

I will attempt that quest line again at some point in the future.

Thanks all for help and suggestions.

Also, thanks @PhoenixSpyder, for the save cleanup tool link.
    I saw this post after I restored playability, but will keep this on standby, just in case! :-)
    RIFT CV1
    RIFT S

Leeds, UK.

edited January 18
    Does anyone else have problems using the thumbstick to crouch?

I had it working when I did the intro bit (until getting outside Helgen) but it hasn't worked since. I seem to be roughly the right height in-game (i.e. standing, though I'm actually sitting) but it never works, and I obviously can't physically crouch while in my chair. I've been completely unable to sneak or use crouching for getting cover behind rocks since I first had control over my game direction.

PS - it is, of course, selected in the options to use the stick to crouch

Nexus 6
    Brixmis said:
    Does anyone else have problems using the thumbstick to crouch?

I had it working when I did the intro bit (until getting outside Helgen) but it hasn't worked since. I seem to be roughly the right height in-game (i.e. standing, though I'm actually sitting) but it never works, and I obviously can't physically crouch while in my chair. I've been completely unable to sneak or use crouching for getting cover behind rocks since I first had control over my game direction.

PS - it is, of course, selected in the options to use the stick to crouch
    Do you have realistic sneak enabled? If so, try disabling it.

Thanks - I'll give it a try :)

Art3mis
    I will say that the controls for Skyrim are pretty well done. I was in the game and running around pretty quick.
    My only thing with the game is how the hand held weapons work. Now that I am up close and personal its too flail until the object is dead. Sure you can move but I have had very little luck blocking. 
    That is why I play a mage or archer. I have high hopes that there will be a Skyrim quality game that actually has good combat in it. 

Blade & Sorcery 
    This sandbox has the best combat I have ever had in a game, Sweep the leg, hook the shield and stab them in the face. I hope that it is developed into a RPG world but then I will probably never see you guys again. Best combat experience I have had in a video game to date.

Shadow Legend VR
    This looks promising and is on my wanted list I don't expect the combat to be up to what Blade & Sorcery is but perhaps it will have some form of combat that isn't just flail around and hope. If the AI is well done and not just swarm. 

But life is calling and I hope to be back to work soon, as much fun as it is playing around I miss working and feel rusty. Time to shake the dust off this system admin and go back to work.
    Have fun guys and I will still be around. If you run into that must have VR mod post away and I will check it out.
    Nexus 6
    I posted this one before but things get lost in long threads like this one.

I "HIGHLY" recommend 'Legacy of the Dragonborn' mod. I consider it a must for anyone playing Skyrim. It is like having a new version of Skyrim along side the default Skyrim and works within the Lore of Skyrim. Works perfect in VR. It's also as large or larger than the DLC's available for Skyrim content wise. Definitely check it out and install. You won't be disappointed.

• ohgrantohgrant Posts: 203
    Nexus 6
     I originally got this game in Feb 2004 and only have 11 hours in. For some reason, I only remembered the intro. I have 9 hours in the VR version. I'm enjoying it much more. I'm going to wait to try any mods when I get everything up and running on my new PC. So far it rivals Doom 3 for best port in my book.  
    The difference, of course, being that this is a commercial release, at a relatively high price, and Doom3 BFG VR was done by a few hobbyists for nothing other than their satisfaction and wanting to do something for the community.

• LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,194 Valuable Player
    edited January 26
    OK who loaded the drug dealer mod.  :)