New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

MacOS Rift Support

Oculus should bring support for the rift hardware to MacOS considering the hardware improvements that apple has made and the fact that many of their computers now are VR ready and work with SteamVR and the Vive
Tagged:

Comments

• RichooalRichooal Posts: 1,327
    Project 2501
    No they shouldn't.
    PC users are already struggling to get stable "upgrades" from Oculus for the Rift. Each new version of the software introduces problems for some users or introduces "features" some users don't want or need. These people have minimum or recommended PC specs.
    If you add Mac products to the mix, it will just get worse.

My last "update" was 4.62 GB, and now I can shoot a gun with a friend and stream it to Facebook. It seems that if they change the colour of that gun, I'll need to download another 4.62 GB.
    i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Senors - 0 PROBLEMS
    "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,228 Valuable Player
    edited January 2019
    Considering how many gamers in general do their gaming on a Mac, before you even start to think about those with VR Ready Macs, it simply isn't worth their time doing so. Not a big enough audience to make it worthwhile tbh.

Handy tip though: Don't put an IDE Mac hard drive into a PC. I did this years ago with a spare hard drive from work and a bloody great big flame came out of the top which quickly spread to my PC power cables. Luckily I managed to put it out before it did any REAL damage lol

I bloody hate Macs with a passion, I was forced to work with them for YEARS and hated every minute of it.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,072 Valuable Player
    I love Macs.  Excellent machines.

However when I read the title of this topic my first thought was " Oh S#1t....here we go AGAIN......"
  • RichooalRichooal Posts: 1,327
    Project 2501
    snowdog said:

I bloody hate Macs with a passion,

I don't mind the big ones.
    i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Senors - 0 PROBLEMS
    "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

• D0RA8M0ND0RA8M0N Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Oculus definitely needs both PC and Mac Support. Majority of my nonprofits runs on MacOS, that alone enough to cover entire New Jersey. Than again, software stability is a MUST for any applications. Updates at 5GB each, that is rather small.
  • Tommy96GunTommy96Gun Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    +1 for macOS support!
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,072 Valuable Player
    keep dreaming......