IL-2 Makes Me Giggle Like A Little Schoolboy... - Page 5 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

IL-2 Makes Me Giggle Like A Little Schoolboy...

1235»

Comments

• Techy111Techy111 Posts: 5,504 Volunteer Moderator
    I still cannot sort out that horrendous nastiness through the props. I'm sure there is a way to be rid of it Brix? Help please mate
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.
    And FlyInside Forum Admin.
    Flyinside Flight Simulator RELEASED.
  • JD-UKJD-UK Posts: 2,287 Valuable Player
    edited December 2018
    I'm not sure what you mean - have to look back through the thread (this is a new page for me).

I caved, though. I'd been waiting to get Bodenplatte and though I really wanted a Spitfire, I didn't buy the Vb because I knew I'd be getting the MkIX with BP - but after watching that video, and some others, I crumbled like a cheap hooker punched by a big fat pimp (to quote Joey Tribiani :D )

Edit: I just read back through the whole thread and didn't see any info on that - can you elaborate?

• nroskonrosko Posts: 953
    Neo
    Maybe means asw distortion?  I tend not to get it as much recently.
    I have ASW off and you get that horrible distortion through the props in front. Like vsynch is out of whack. Very nauseating. I've seen posts before how to get rid of it but still haven't succeeded.
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.
    edited December 2018
    Hmm, it's not something I have experienced myself - but I haven't switched ASW off for IL-2. I didn't see a need, as I was happy with the performance and how it all looked.

Think I posted some framerate info a short while ago, which showed me that, during action phases at least, ASW was probably required by my poor, gasping computer. to keep things rolling smoothly. Remember, I only have a GTX 1060/6.

Maybe the answer is to switch ASW on and see how you like it? Or is there a specific reason you turned it off?

edited December 2018
    aaaaaand.... Bodenplatte is miiiiinneee!!!! :D :D :D

Mother Brix has starred again!

Thanks, Mum!  <3  (who, btw, celebrated her 80th 4 days ago)

• dburnedburne Posts: 1,965 Valuable Player
    Techy111 said:
    I have ASW off and you get that horrible distortion through the props in front. Like vsynch is out of whack. Very nauseating. I've seen posts before how to get rid of it but still haven't succeeded.
    ASW off gets rid of it for me.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case|
    As there is no official guide or manual for BoM, BoK and BP, it can be a real PITA trying to work out what is where. On the IL-2 forum, there is a guy who has done 2 page guides for all the aircraft up to and including BoK:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/30773-bom-cockpits-and-operation-quick-guide/

This is all there is for now, though info is available for BoS aircraft. As many have said, it's pretty gobsmacking that such a relatively expensive sim comes without a manual or guide (the "official" manual was actually made by a customer).

Sign of the times (and a ready poor excuse for lazy devs)

edited December 2018
    Anyone want to get together - after new year probably - to learn one or two of the Bodenplatte planes?

I'm also keen to learn how to fly and do combat with the Boston/Havoc (from Kuban) and maybe the Airacobra.

From Bodenplatte, I'm keen to learn to use the Jug straight off (P-47D) and when it's released, the Tempest, which I can see me spending a lot of time in.

I'm also keen to learn the two Spitfires.

I'm looking to do a bit of dogfighting, for fun, in Flying Circus. Chaz is up for it, but the more the merrier. I'm crap at A/A combat, so it should be good practise.

• ChazmeisterChazmeister Posts: 534
    Neo
    Don't have Bodenplatte but have BoS, BoM and BoK.

As for the P-47D, is it a bubble top one or a razorback? Not too keen on the latter, but like the bubble tops. Although out of that pack, the main draw for me would obviously be the P-51D Mustang, as apart from the Spit, you don't get much more classic than that. The Tempest is a very nice one too, as it's basically an updated Typhoon, which is a very cool plane of course. I'm not very good at the ground attack stuff right now though, so I tend to shy away from that sort of thing at the moment. Need more practice.
    edited December 2018
    Yes, it's the bubbletop, not the razorback. I have a nice model of one knocking about somewhere - always liked them.

Found some pics:

Had a great time in the two Spitfires today. I thought I might regret buying the Vb collector plane, as I got the IX in Bodenplatte - but no, they are quite different and both are great fun! Was laughing and whooping as much as with the first post!
    It wasn't until a while after the session that I stopped smiling, either! After my first kill in the Vb, I found myself singing "Another One Bites The Dust" :D

Oh - and they sound just awesome. The minute I sat in the cockpit I just knew I was going to get the job done, and have loadsa fun doing it.

Uploaded the screenshots to an album, as there were too many to post here - starting with the Boston and missing a target that couldn't even be seen through the bomb aiming sight, by just a few feet, and moving on to the Spitfire IX and an attack on 3 tanks (they got away) and then in the Vb against 4 artillery positions (they didn't, though they tried to run away), followed by the landing.

You can tell them apart externally, by the fact that the IX has two large cooler scoops on the underside, and the Vb has only one. The guns look different, and the Vb also has a little window in the left side of the canopy - but you'd have to be very close to spot those.

LINKY

edited January 7
    If you're in two minds about shelling out for Bodenplatte, let me reassure you that it's well worth the outlay.

In recent days I've tested the Spitfire, Airacobra and Thunderbolt and they are all outstanding pieces of simulated machinery. A huge difference from their Soviet counterparts. Those who are not keen on all the tweaking as you fly the MiGs and Ilyushins will love these planes - especially at low level, where you don't even need to worry about the supercharger, though you'll want to head for higher altitudes if A/A combat is your thing.

Here's a few happy snaps from my test flights - all A/G sorties.

This is the P-39 Airacobra..

It's the easiest plane to land, by some margin, too...

It has an array of machine guns, for which you can take extra ammo that adds up to plenty of killing time. The bombing is fun, too - it carries one under the fuselage. It's very agile and just loadsa fun. The cannon in the spinner (sticking out of the nose) is fantastic. It fires at a very slow rate, which makes it seem real "badass", but it makes it more difficult to get more than one or two rounds on target - though that's usually all it takes to do the job.

The Juggernaut is another matter, entirely - though it's also mega fun, it really needs some respect. Lots of weight and that engine can't always pull you out of those sticky situations - especially if you are also heavily loaded with bombs, rockets and extra MG ammo - all at once!

Yes, this thing is a flying gunbus!

Lawn mower?

...Or hairdresser?

This thing is just a barrel of laughs - but not for the Hun!

PS - Ever wondered what would happen if you clipped a tree in these things?

This:

:D

Neo
    Is it just the angle you're sitting at, or have they put the gun sight right slap bang in front of the altimeter and compass in that P-39?
    Is it just the angle you're sitting at, or have they put the gun sight right slap bang in front of the altimeter and compass in that P-39?
    No mate, brix is a little fella and has booster cushions ;)
    edited January 8
    Yeah, it's all perfectly visible from the seat - I was just hopping up and down in excitement (or standing up so I didn't squash the mess when I shit myself) :D

You may have to dip down on the odd occasion, but I didn't notice any problems.

You can tell I'm at a raised position from the angle of the gunsight lamp.

**having said that, I just checked and yes, it is a bit in the way - but you just move your head slightly to one side or the other to view the instruments.

Neo
    Nice! Looks like I'll have to get around to investing in Tank Crew at some point when they do that. Been thinking about getting Tank Crew for quite a while now anyway.
  • nroskonrosko Posts: 953
    Neo
    Still not much news on if it will work ok with VR, I really hope it does.