cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can the Oculus Go initial setup be done without a iphone or android phone?

Minclarion
Honored Guest
Notably, I personally do not own a iphone or android phone. Is there a way to use the Oculus go without the initial app? or can a emulator be used on a PC to perform the same needed steps both initially and going forward?

Thanks in advance.
26 REPLIES 26

Ruggo
Explorer
This sucks.  Didn't know android device was required.  NOT A GOOD CONSUMER EXPERIENCE!

bomat
Honored Guest

It can be done, just use an Android emulator like Bluestacks or Nox on your PC.

Tried it. Won't fly, as these emulators don't support Bluetooth. Also Nox is based on Android 6.0, which is too old.

So, the conclusion of this thread is: The line "Standalone VR" on the Oculus Go box is a big fat LIE.

thealex_one
Honored Guest
I want to buy a GO but only own a flip phone and an older android tablet. I read it can be done with an android tablet, if so which version of android does the app require ?

Techy111
MVP
MVP
6.0 Marshmallow or higher mate according to the info page at the very bottom = https://www.oculus.com/go/
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

thealex_one
Honored Guest
Am I correct in thinking that the reason there is no PC app is because it requires both wifi and bluetooth ?

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

Am I correct in thinking that the reason there is no PC app is because it requires both wifi and bluetooth ?

Not sure why, probably because the Google Play Store will not support it.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

bomat
Honored Guest

No, not really.
Notebooks and even modern desktops have bluetooth built in (actually, WLAN and bluetooth are often combined in a single chip), older PCs can easily be retrofitted with a dongle.
So the only reason why Oculus does not provide a PC app is because they don't want to.

alohaaussie
Honored Guest
after using a friends phone for the setup, can the app be deleted from their phone , as I may have to put my credit card details in, for future purposes 

bomat
Honored Guest

after using a friends phone for the setup, can the app be deleted from their phone , as I may have to put my credit card details in, for future purposes 

It can be done... but it can lead to problems further down the road. For example, if you want to change your google playstore payment options later on, you can NOT do it via the headset directly, but you'll need a smartphone again.
(Did I mention that the line "Standalone VR" on the Oculus Go box is a big fat lie?)

Leonidas-Drakos
Honored Guest
A big Fat Lie