Some bedtime reading — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Some bedtime reading

bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,821 Valuable Player
edited January 30 in Off-Topic
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)

Comments

• ChazmeisterChazmeister Posts: 535
    Neo
    edited January 30
    You forgot one, or should I say The One.

https://archive.org/search.php?query=the+one+amiga&and%5B%5D=collection%3A%22computermagazines%22&page=2

Wow! I remember so many of those covers.

Edit: Actually you forgot two. How could you not include Amiga Power as well?

https://archive.org/search.php?query=amiga%20power&and[]=collection%3A%22computermagazines%22
    Neo
    Oh yes and here's a pick for the Elite players among us. Big interview with DB about Elite 2. Oh and if you think gaming is expensive now, just look at those prices back in 92.

https://archive.org/details/TheOneIssue48Sep92
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,821 Valuable Player
    lol trust me i didnt forget The One, it was by far the best amiga mag imo... however i was in too much of a rush to put my own in so just pasted the ones on the link where i got it from.
    (i did put the input one in there myself but that was because i wanted a friend to see that specific link)

had i of done it there would have been more spectrum and less C64.  :D

wow that elite 2 interview... how i fantasised over that for ages.  it was another year before the game came out after that little tease iirc.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,732 Valuable Player
    I used to love those days in the 80s reading games magazines. Sinclair User and CVG were my favourites. Used to love typing in the games written in BASIC every month. I learnt a lot from doing that.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    edited January 30
    I am biased.......... I fully admit that however i honestly think the 80's was one of the best (if not THE best) decades to grow up in.  Funnily enough i had this conversation yesterday with some friends and the wife as we are currently watching "Stranger Things" on TV.

but in general (where i lived at least - which wont be the same for all) crime was practically zero

rules were a lot more lax (ie i could go out with friends as an early teenager shooting tin cans with an air rifle,  now however... no one does that these days, again, not where i live anyway - and if they did they would be considered to be right scallies

but the big one......

The birth of home computing with insane improvements really quickly  along with the Arcade golden age. *if i had to pick the perfect decade for this it would probably be 1984 - 1994 but lets not split hairs*.

(and the music was pretty fantastic as well imo - ACDC / Iron maiden / Ozzy / metallica all at their best and i even like the pop to a degree)
  • JD-UKJD-UK Posts: 2,289 Valuable Player
    edited January 30
    I still have a box full of Amiga Format (including one with some of my "artwork" in the Gallery on the CD) and a few Amiga User rags. I don't get them out too often - tend to lose myself for a few hours.

Thanks for the links

• kojackkojack Posts: 5,286 Volunteer Moderator
    I used to have a bunch of https://archive.org/details/creativecomputing when I was young. Even back then it was odd.
    Bad cartoon quality, strange clipart, ads for $10000 hard drives with 11MB storage, more bad cartoons. Actually a bunch of badly drawn artwork. Code to type in (but usually wouldn't work on my trs-80 coco2). Technology that never caught on. Photos of families overreacting to a new personal computer.
    It was probably half ads though.

:)

Yup, the 80s were awesome...but you're not correct about crime. There was still plenty of crime about but just less of it I think. Certainly less weapons and drugs on the street and in schools though, although someone at my school went after another kid with a crossbow one day which caused a fair bit of excitement  :o :D
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,092 Valuable Player
    Iol, when I read the Subject for this thread I was expecting something entirely different. Even some of BigMike's word choices elude to it...

Some bedtime reading

bookmarked for yonks

posted on hotukdeals

how i fantasised over that for ages

that little tease

but the big one......

Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,248 Valuable Player
    edited January 30
    I am biased.......... I fully admit that however i honestly think the 80's was one of the best (if not THE best) decades to grow up in.  Funnily enough i had this conversation yesterday with some friends and the wife as we are currently watching "Stranger Things" on TV.

but in general (where i lived at least - which wont be the same for all) crime was practically zero

rules were a lot more lax (ie i could go out with friends as an early teenager shooting tin cans with an air rifle,  now however... no one does that these days, again, not where i live anyway - and if they did they would be considered to be right scallies

You obviously didn't live on an estate like the one I lived on. Moved onto the estate in the late 1980's when I was around 15yrs old. I got my head kicked in the first week by some blokes who must of been in their late 30's, all because they decided they wanted the Chinese takeaway I'd ordered. Got my head kicked in a month later and had the videos I'd rented taken and if you wasn't getting kicked in for some other strange reason, then the stray dogs would have a go at chasing you and savaging you.

Must admit, it did me the world of good though. I learned to toughen up quickly..
    Spent all of the 80's in Germany serving Her Majesty. The 60's and 70's were a better time to grow up in, imho - the end of the 80's was when it all started going wrong. The 90's were just solidifying the situation at the end of the 80's and don't get me started on the noughties! :p

Yup, I agree. Don't get me started on Thatcher lol

Music started do go downhill in the mid to late 80s too. Less guitars and more keyboards being used by everyone, even great bands from the 60s and 70s. Then you have hip hop and rap music too. Bloody awful.

• KlodsBrikKlodsBrik Posts: 1,184
    Wintermute
    edited January 30
    These magazines ..
    Living in denmark these were hard to come by back then, and expensive as hell as well.
      All my interest in computers and technology comes from this .. Such a gem!
    Got a few hours at work today to browse some of these.... Best paid hours ever ! .. So much nostalgia !
    Felt like I was 15 again :heart: 

Be good, die great !
    Zenbane said:
    Iol, when I read the Subject for this thread I was expecting something entirely different. Even some of BigMike's word choices elude to it...

Some bedtime reading

bookmarked for yonks

posted on hotukdeals

how i fantasised over that for ages

that little tease

but the big one......

lol well if that is your fancy there is some "vintage" "gentlemens magazines" on there apparently as well....... (not that i would know ;) )
    RedRizla said:

You obviously didn't live on an estate like the one I lived on. Moved onto the estate in the late 1980's when I was around 15yrs old. I got my head kicked in the first week by some blokes who must of been in their late 30's, all because they decided they wanted the Chinese takeaway I'd ordered. Got my head kicked in a month later and had the videos I'd rented taken and if you wasn't getting kicked in for some other strange reason, then the stray dogs would have a go at chasing you and savaging you.

Must admit, it did me the world of good though. I learned to toughen up quickly..
    Thankfully not..... To be fair the village where i grew up is still ok.......... but totally different (as in not as good) as it used to be.   For any brits out there, it used to be much like "heartbeat" but now is more like "brookside".

I didnt receive my 1st proper beating till i was 18 - which would have been 1994 and that was some little runt and his mates. The runt was apparently angry he did not get accepted into the army and tried to take it out on me.  he failed and i piledrove him into the kerb. Sadly his mates who were sqaddies had more luck :(
    edited January 31
    I have a rather large collection of retro computer stuff on my Google Drive. Manuals (mostly for Amiga games) and software and some emulators. A lot of it still works, mostly with the help of DOSBox. There's a lot of Spectrum stuff, too. Also a long list of early Windows games.

If anyone wants access - just message me. ;)

edited January 31
    I had a old world of spectrum compilation - 2 CDs with just about every piece of software ever made on the rubber keyed beauty.  it got lost when our house was renovated.
    luckily internet sites have all the stuff i could ever need :)
    I had a old world of spectrum compilation - 2 CDs with just about every piece of software ever made on the rubber keyed beauty.  it got lost when our house was renovated.
    luckily internet sites have all the stuff i could ever need :)

Yup, I probably bought the same 2 CDs donkey's years ago. I still have them somewhere I think. Also included a Speccy emulator on each one too. This is what I used to replay Elite in the 90s and 00s every few years.

Interesting websites. Try:

Www.seeharvandvannagetiton.com

You'll need a credit card.

Okay, people. I need to pick your brains. I've now got myself a cheapo tablet from Amazon. So I'm looking for stuff to read.

When I was a kid in the 80s you used to get small comic books, primarily with WWII stories, but there was also a set of comic books with sci-fi stories. Is this ringing a bell for anyone..? Do you remember what they were called? They were awesome and I'd love to read them again!

Neo
    Specifically the smaller comic books and not the larger weekly ones like 2000AD?

The smaller sized ones, it's very hard to say, as pretty much all the imported non UK stuff was in that format, like anything by Marvel or DC and their contemporaries. 
    Yup, they were very small. Less than A5 sized and 2-3mm thick.

• DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,784 Valuable Player
    Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.239)
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,755 Volunteer Moderator
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,755 Volunteer Moderator
    I miss the days of being a kid, saving up a few quid and going to WHSmith and picking up the latest magazine with my free CD/Floppy. Or even before that, spending half a day, typing out the code to play a game!

Those were the days!
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,114 Volunteer Moderator
    Done properly lol ;)
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• saami81saami81 Posts: 124
    Art3mis
    I miss the days of being a kid, saving up a few quid and going to WHSmith and picking up the latest magazine with my free CD/Floppy. Or even before that, spending half a day, typing out the code to play a game!

Those were the days!
    In a finnish computer magazine called "Mikrobitti" there was always reader made games that you could type in your computer. My computers were VIC-20 and after 1986 C64. Sometimes i really miss those simpler days.
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,784 Valuable Player

Those were the days!

Absolutely, typing out those programs was how I learned basic. I never got into visual basic which would probably be the only useful thing I could do nowadays so I should really give it a try.

Maybe I'm too busy having fun with stuff like VR.

Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.239)