cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OTG USB Storage

Anonymous
Not applicable
I would like to be able to play 4k videos on the Oculus Go from my USB 3.0 external HDD while travelling.

I've read a number of comments about OTG USB Storage for the Oculus Go still being in the pipeline. But what I don't understand is why there is an Oculus support page for getting a USB storage device to work with the Go...

https://support.oculus.com/1909580119121971/#faq_1909580119121971

A number of people are saying that this doesn't work. Is this a currently supported feature or not?

In the meantime I've been looking at getting the WD My Passport Wireless Pro Portable External Hard Drive to act as a wireless media hub to stream 4k videos via DLNA to the Oculus Go. But I'm not sure if this will work successfully either.
12 REPLIES 12

Full_Bleed
Protege
I've been in ongoing communication with Oculus support on this issue for a couple weeks now and have not gotten a satisfying response.  I first tried using an OTG flash reader with 2 gig, 32 gig, and 64 gig microsd flash cards.  The GO recognizes the drive (dings on insertion and will offer to format it if you don't have it formatted to FAT32)... but there are no apps that can actually access the device to show what's on it... including the Oculus Gallery app that the Oculus support page says can.

Support has had me factory reset my device and wondered if maybe the device didn't support flash readers...

So I purchased a SanDisk flash drive.  Same experience.  Dings on insert and removal.  Will format.  Clearly "sees" the drive, but there is *nothing* that can actually access it so far as I can tell (not Gallery, Skybox, Pigasus, etc.)

I wish they would provide some accurate information on this... and I would love to hear from someone who has actually been able to use an OTG usb device with the go.

Nekto2
Superstar
Do not know about storage, but you could connect USB keyboard same way 🙂
Some games will work with it.
You could run Legion ... It is doom like FPS. Use wasd keys for movement, qe to turn and t for other.

Full_Bleed
Protege

Nekto2 said:

Do not know about storage, but you could connect USB keyboard same way 🙂
Some games will work with it.

That's good to know.

At this point I'm wondering if the OTG USB Storage problem is software or hardware related.  Oculus support doesn't seem to know.  Which makes me wonder if anyone is actually doing anything to address the issue.  😕

The support stub in the OP says that when in Gallery you can select "Connect Media" where you should see a "USB Storage" selection.  But on Gallery's "Connect Media" screen the options look like 4 hard coded options that you need to set up (Instagram, Dropbox, Camera Roll, Facebook.)  There does not seem to be a place for a dynamic/active option like "USB Storage."

peternrg
Honored Guest
Still waiting for this feature to be enabled 'again'.  I can remember that the USB Storage option was actually available in the Connect Media menu for just a couple of days last year.  I ordered some OTG USB sticks when I saw that, but the feature was missing again when I received my OTG USB sticks. 

Full_Bleed
Protege

peternrg said:

Still waiting for this feature to be enabled 'again'.  I can remember that the USB Storage option was actually available in the Connect Media menu for just a couple of days last year.  I ordered some OTG USB sticks when I saw that, but the feature was missing again when I received my OTG USB sticks. 

On the advice of Oculus support I purchased an OTG USB flash drive since they weren't sure that the GO supported the OTG flash memory card reader I was using.  The reader is seen just like a flash drive so I didn't think that would be the issue... but I humored them and tried a flash drive.

But that ended up being a waste of money as both the flash drive and reader respond *exactly* the same.  The headset clearly sees the drives and knows what they are when they are plugged in, but there is no way to actually look at/access what's on them.

Pretty frustrating.

jsegurae
Honored Guest

peternrg said:

On the advice of Oculus support I purchased an OTG USB flash drive since they weren't sure that the GO supported the OTG flash memory card reader I was using.  The reader is seen just like a flash drive so I didn't think that would be the issue... but I humored them and tried a flash drive.

But that ended up being a waste of money as both the flash drive and reader respond *exactly* the same.  The headset clearly sees the drives and knows what they are when they are plugged in, but there is no way to actually look at/access what's on them.

Pretty frustrating.

The only way I've managed to see enough movies is the following:
I have the Total Commander program installed on Oculus TV.
In this program I can see the files that are in my 64 GB pendrive formatted in FAT 32.
I pick up the desired video file and ask me what program I want to open it with, the only one that has worked
for me has almost always been Samsung VR. In the others I could not.
The files must have the extension mp4, mkv does not work for me.
It does not let me open them directly from Samsung VR, I have to do it through Total Commander.

Translated from Spanish to English with Google Translator, sorry if you do not understand well.

Full_Bleed
Protege
UPDATE:  The latest response I've gotten from Oculus support indicates that the current issues are software related:

"Thank you for your continued patience. At this time USB storage is
unavailable for Oculus Gallery. For use with USB storage you will need
to use an app that the developer has made USB storage compatible for it
from the store. You may need to check with certain developers to see if
their app supports USB storage."

jsegurae
Honored Guest
The only way I've managed to see enough movies is the following:
I have the Total Commander program installed on Oculus TV.
In this program I can see the files that are in my 64 GB pendrive formatted in FAT 32.
I pick up the desired video file and ask me what program I want to open it with, the only one that has worked
for me has almost always been Samsung VR. In the others I could not.
The files must have the extension mp4, mkv does not work for me.
It does not let me open them directly from Samsung VR, I have to do it through Total Commander.

Translated from Spanish to English with Google Translator, sorry if you do not understand well.Escribe tu comentario

dreambro2
Honored Guest
Well I can confirm that can connect a SanDisk usb micro usb thumb drive 64gb formatted to exfat and play 3d sbs videos in moon player in Full Screen outside of Oculus TV on Oculus GO. 
Found this link on youtube from Russian forum and in description is description how to setup.
This is in the youtube description:
""
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1wLx...JS USB OTG https://drive.google.com/open?id=1agv...Total Comander https://youtu.be/dbBVQc0uKQUVideo on how to open the developer mode and install ES Explorer This video shows how you can watch 3D VR videos on USB flash drives using Oculus Go using Oculus TV, ES Explorer, JS USB OTG and Moon Player. 1. Write some kind of 3D VR movie on a USB flash drive. 2. Connect the USB flash drive with a micro usb adapter. 3. Install on your Oculus GO via ES Explorer the JS USB OTG program downloaded from my link. Also set yourself Total Comander (it will come in handy if it is buggy or lagged ES guide ... and it will fail). Total Comander will be installed as a separate icon in Oculus TV. To enable it you will not need to go to ES Explorer / Apps. If ES Explorer starts to double in your eyes, then go to Oculus TV / Total Comander / My Apps / and look for there ES Prvodnik. Then click on it and make it stop.   4. Insert the USB flash drive into your Oculus Go. If you are offered to unpharmat it, then refuse by pressing the HOME button on the controller. 5. Go to ES Explorer and in the Apps section, select JS USB OTG. The program prompts you to open the USB flash drive. Do not tick, just click "OK". 6. The contents of your usb flash drive will open. Click on the 3D movie and in the drop-down menu click "Direct open". In the next menu, select "open using the app Moon VR Player". Click "Just now" !!! Do not press "Always" !!!
""

What I did was download the moon player app on oculus store, downloaded the JS USB OTG and total commander(Not sure actually need total commander).
format your USB Drive to ex fat and put video on it. connect to oculus go. when asks you to format just hit home on controller to bypass and then go to your appstarter that you use to sideload and open JS USB otg and then select read usb and then click your video and open in moon player. It opens in full screen outside of Oculus TV.
Could some other people try this and see if they can find an alternative to Moonplayer? I don't like the interface as much as Sky player and others but have only been able to get this to work fullscreen with Moonplayer