cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can't Oculus software be installed on a Dynamic Disk?

Lil_Guard_Dog
Explorer
It seems that if your computer uses only "Dynamic Disks" the installation software will halt and give you an error that states:

"Not Enough Space
Oculus requires 2.85GB on an internal drive to set up.  To continue, please make sure you have sufficient space on an eligible drive, or visit Oculus Support to learn more."

Upon which the only option for you to click is quit.

To make matters even more silly, I currently have 3 HDD's in my PC, all are internal drives, and one is a SSD.
In total, I have them split into 5 partitions as follows, with listed free space/total space.

C = 157GB free of 223GB (System Drive/SSD)
D = 222GB free of 223GB (Simple Volume on 3rd HDD)
E: = 222GB free of 223GB (Simple Volume on 3rd HDD)
F = 1.43TB free of 1.81TB (Striped Volume using entire 2nd HDD and duplicated size partition on 3rd HDD)
G = 90.5 GB free of 1.38TB (Simple Volume on 3rd HDD)

All 3 internal drives are set as Dynamic Drives.  Thus the Oculus Setup software deems them as not eligible, and does not allow me to install, thus rendering my Oculus into an expensive paperweight.

In order to convert any of the disks to a Basic drive, I would have to entirely wipe/format the entire drive and convert it, thus losing all information on the drive, which would be very problematic if I was to do my System drive, and if I try converting either of the other two physical drives, then I would then lose the ability to have the striped volume, rendering my current backup/restore/file structure of my entire computer useless.

It seems, that to install 2.85 GB of driver software for a display, I have to buy a new hard drive, simply to install *ONLY* the software for this device.

What possibly could be the reason why Oculus cannot support a dynamic disk, when I have encountered no other program in my entire life of beta/alpha testing for various companies, that required ONLY a basic disk in order to be installed?

(And yes, I know there is some software out there that will allow you to convert a Dynamic Disk to a Basic disk, however none of them will work if the disk that you want to convert is labeled as a system disk, or if it has spanned/striped volumes.  Even if you only have mirrored volumes, you have to break the mirror connection in order to convert.)

It also seems that every issue through the 100 pages of threads in this forum that deals with the "Not Enough Space" error actually stems from the disks actually being dynamic disks instead of basic, for some reason or another, regardless of if you have many Terabytes of free space.

Why?
22 REPLIES 22

jessica1389
Honored Guest
Seriously I haven't even gotten my Rift delivered today yet and I'm trying to install this and getting the stupid can't connect error. Its 2016 now. WTF oculus?

Brian3Dw
Honored Guest
I have waited for months and tried this thread a while back and could never get it to install. I figured it out today. 
The drive I want to install on is my F drive. 

-Copy OculusSetup.exe to the root of the drive you want to install on that is not a dynamic disc. I'm actually using 2 SSD's in RAID via Windows Storage Spaces. 
- Open the run window by pressing "Windows + R" 
- F:\OculusSetup.exe /drive=F (copy and past and just replace your drive letter.)

samfehw9x8ff.jpg

Good luck!

TriCyclops
Honored Guest
For God's sake, fix this already!

Thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable
It's February 2019, I think they finally fixed the installer. However when finishing installing it wants to update (for some reason) and the update won't register my free disk space.

I can't calibrate my sensors without the update.

I wish I could have steam VR replace oculus home.

EDIT: Maybe somebody can give me a copy of their up to date oculus files. I'll just override the files with them and that'll probably fix it.

icanthinkofone
Honored Guest
December 2019.  Definitely haven't fixed the installer, or they re-broke it.
C: \ is dynamic so I can either wipe my system or install another drive I guess

stephen_cameron
Explorer
It's 2020 and im bumping this, who writes this?

FrigginFatty
Honored Guest
Well i've been trying to install this software for 2 days now. I only have one drive and its dynamic. Sounds like i'm sol.

tudor_apostu
Honored Guest
It's 2020, 4 years old bug and they still didn't fix it.

tudor_apostu
Honored Guest
I went through customer support, and they basically said: Wait in line, put a "feature request", so there you go, only 2 of us voted for this "feature" until now.

I suggest every each of us should open a support ticket.

tudor_apostu
Honored Guest

Kassidy (Oculus Support)

May 8, 2020, 11:30:08 PM GMT+1

Hey Tudor,

Thanks for your patience as I got back to you......

Please also note that this setup is not a bug, and that the
Oculus software was not designed to install on dynamic drives. I know that this
is a point of concern for you and others in the community, however there are no
active plans to make these changes to the software at this time.

Let me know if you want the whole stuff copy pasted.

I suggest everyone should open support tickets.
Secondly, please write bad reviews for this product which blatantly defies Windows 10 compatibility, Dynamic Disks have been around since Windows XP.