cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TF2 Patch update help

enzo
Honored Guest
Just played the new version with vr option in game, and ui additions are nice but resolution has taken a huge hit, graphics are now a lot more blury. game does not look nearly as good as it did when I was able to run it at 1080p up scaled on the rift, is there away to re-enable running the game at 1080p on the rift?
21 REPLIES 21

SDM
Explorer
Yeah looks significantly worse/blurry now (and I've always preferred to run the game at native 1280x800 res). Hope they fix soon or revert. That, or someone posts a fix for things as is now (will if I can figure it out of course).

Been trying for a little while now to get back the visual quality I had before the update, but no luck as of yet. So far resetting/changing cvars and such hasn't helped, nor has deleting and reinstalling the game (in case my older or forgotten tweaks were mucking things up).

All visuals, general graphics/gameplay of course, but also text and HUD, were actually much much clearer before. For the latter two, I just used a couple simple config/console tweaks - vr_hud_axis_lock_to_world "7" (to free HUD from fixed position so one could look directly at text or HUD elements and thus focus nicely on them) and vr_hud_max_fov "72" (to make text and such a bit bigger overall).

This game is my favorite "distraction" use for the Rift when not working on my Unity project, but unfortunately is not playable as is now with the blurriness and such now. Did just note in the console that the resolution is automatically set to 640x480, then from 640 x480 back to 1280x800 once VR mode is activated for some reason. Hmm, maybe it's getting "stuck" at 640x480?

Fluke
Heroic Explorer
Yep, it's a total mess now.

I don't think it's even natively rendering at 1280x800 - it appear to be even lower and upscaling to that. Before the patch, I couldn't even get it to run at 1920 and downsample anyway for some reason, so had been running it at a native 1280 anyway, but as it stands now, it's horrific compared to how it used to look.

Oddly/coincidentally, Hawken with it's new patch is doing exactly the same for me. Fortunately, it only seems to be these two titles that are doing it.

"SDM" wrote:
Did just note in the console that the resolution is automatically set to 640x480, then from 640 x480 back to 1280x800 once VR mode is activated for some reason. Hmm, maybe it's getting "stuck" at 640x480?

I think you could well be right - it certainly looks like it's not even rendering at 1280x800.
Co-host of Recentered - A VR Podcast, available on all normal podcast streaming services.

enzo
Honored Guest
resolution looked much better when I could up scale to 1080p prior to the patch, since new update resolution is much more blurry, its very noticeable. Humbly request valve and oculus sup[prt provide options to run rift at up scaled resolution, in my experience many games look much better by doing this.

joe
Explorer
"SDM" wrote:
This game is my favorite "distraction" use for the Rift when not working on my Unity project, but unfortunately is not playable as is now with the blurriness and such now. Did just note in the console that the resolution is automatically set to 640x480, then from 640 x480 back to 1280x800 once VR mode is activated for some reason. Hmm, maybe it's getting "stuck" at 640x480?

Those console messages are misleading. They actually mean that the UI is changing resolution to 640x480 when entering VR mode because that's the size of the UI render target. That message has nothing to do with the resolution of the game itself.

The game is rendering to the frame buffer at 640x800 per eye and then distorted from there. What probably changed is that the extra FOV being rendered to get enough pixels to do the distortion is a little TOO extra. I'll take a look and if I can improve things push out a patch to fix it.

SDM
Explorer
Thanks for looking into it Joe (and for even supporting the Rift in the first place), much appreciated.

yahknow1
Protege
Hi, I'm hoping this isn't too far off topic, but I JUST received my Oculus and installed TF2 and been trying for hours to get the calibration routine to come up? It's weird, I have a loads of "vr_" commands in the console available to me, but "vr_calibrate" (nor vr_calibration) isn't one of them? :idea: :roll:

Did they remove this command?
i7-5960X@4.3Ghz / ASUS X99-E WS / CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 2800 /SAMSUNG 850 Pro Series 256GB (SSD) / CORSAIR Hydro Series H110 Extreme / EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2 80 PLUS GOLD / MSI Radeon R9 390X

SDM
Explorer
Yeah, they removed it in this update, from the TF2 patch notes:

"Removed the IPD calibration tool. TF2 will now obey the Oculus configuration file. Use the Oculus calibration tool in your SDK or install and run "OpenVR" under Tools in Steam to calibrate your IPD."

So just need to run the Oculus SDK calibration tool or openVR tool (downloaded from your Steam tools which seems to contain the same Oculus calibration tool) to create your config file. Though I already had run the Oculus SDK tool, long had a config saved, I also had to install the openVR tool from Steam to get the game to run after the patch (gave me an error otherwise on launch). Didn't need to run it though, just simply install it.

Fluke
Heroic Explorer
"SDM" wrote:
Thanks for looking into it Joe (and for even supporting the Rift in the first place), much appreciated.

+1, appreciated indeed 🙂
Co-host of Recentered - A VR Podcast, available on all normal podcast streaming services.

joe
Explorer
"yahknow1" wrote:
Hi, I'm hoping this isn't too far off topic, but I JUST received my Oculus and installed TF2 and been trying for hours to get the calibration routine to come up? It's weird, I have a loads of "vr_" commands in the console available to me, but "vr_calibrate" (nor vr_calibration) isn't one of them? :idea: :roll:

I updated the wiki so it no longer points to all the stuff that was removed in yesterday's update. Hopefully that will help the next person who tries this.

Thanks for pointing out the problems.