cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not sure when to build a new PC because of pricing.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I used to have a rule that said I would build a new PC every 5 years and that I would get all the highend stuff. My last build was around £1200, but now when I look to build a new PC, it's just far to expensive to get all the highend gear. So now I think my new comp builds are going to be every 10 years by the looks of things. 

z3q3gmtswkjm.jpg
15 REPLIES 15

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Is there nothing in the old build you could use to carry into the new build mate ? Could you not bolster up the price by flogging the old system to give you more money ?? Maybe do like me and get brutal and put stuff on flea bay to get extra dosh in.
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@Techy111 - Yeah - I suppose I could do a bit of selling, but I wanted to keep this computer because I have so much other stuff on it. It's hooked up to so much other stuff too. The Next PC I built, I just wanted it for gaming without all the other crap I have to put on a PC. Seems expensive just for a gaming PC though..

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well you could always do it in two separate parts. Get the CPU, RAM and Motherboard (assuming your current RAM isn't compatible) in one part, keeping your case, hard drives and GPU and then getting your new more powerful GPU later on down the line.

The next RTX cards are bound to be cheaper because 1) The NVidia share price tanked with the release of the current RTX cards and 2) The new tech in the current RTX cards will be cheaper to produce.

That's what I'm going to do when I eventually build my new rig in a few years.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@snowdog Yes, that's an idea. I might look at doing something like that because I want to keep hold of a second PC this time. Saves putting all the crap on a new build..

Digikid1
Consultant
Computer tech hasn’t really improved at all over the last decade. I would just get a new GPU and PSU as needed. As long as your current sytem works for your needs then why waste the money?

Newer is NOT always better. 

Words to live by. 

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@Digikid1 - I've currently got a i7 6700k Skylake Cpu, but haven't had a good look at the current crop of Cpu's to see what they are capable of doing tbh..

Techy111
MVP
MVP
I have a 6700k with my 2080ti and it's awesome still mate. Was testing last night on our new sim in task manager. It utilises 48 percent cpu but maxes out the gpu at 99 percent.

82w3gnw9e619.png
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Techy111
MVP
MVP
So keep that 6700k for a while yet 😉

Anonymous
Not applicable
I also have a 6700K and am planning on keeping it for another 3 years or so. My next upgrade will be a GPU once prices start getting sensible again but for now I'm quite happy with my 1080 too.

I always spend as much as possible when building a new rig because then I don't need to worry about building a new one for at least 5 years, and even then I can usually get away with just buying a new GPU. The only time I didn't do this was with my 2GB 4870 because it was a bit of a BEAST lol 😄 It kept punching above its weight for YEARS.

So when I built my current rig I ended up building a new rig from scratch and then using my 4870 until I could afford a 1080 about 6 months later.