cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not sure when to build a new PC because of pricing.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I used to have a rule that said I would build a new PC every 5 years and that I would get all the highend stuff. My last build was around £1200, but now when I look to build a new PC, it's just far to expensive to get all the highend gear. So now I think my new comp builds are going to be every 10 years by the looks of things. 

z3q3gmtswkjm.jpg
15 REPLIES 15

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Currently I think my rig is awesome for VR gaming, I'll upgrade when games arrive that truly need more GPU power than my oc'ed GTX 1080 can deliver - and not before. 

Games before hardware  B)

Do you have any game unplayable or running quite badly on your rig? (It should be a game you really want to play)

With many devs needing PSVR + PCVR to make VR games profitable, the PSVR will be the lowest common denomitator for the level of polys and the need for cpu power - your 6700K may be better than what the PS5 can deliver - maybe you don't need to upgrade cpu until 2025  😉

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Anonymous
Not applicable
Actually most developers can't afford to develop for console hardware. Not only do you have to spend 5 or 6 grand for a devkit but you also have to spend a few grand on top of that for Submission for Standards Testing too.

Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo are a thieving bunch of bastards as far as developers are concerned.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
It's easy to get a business loan to cover the startup costs of developing for a console. Banks practically hand the money out. The only developers that should be concerned are those that aren't making a game good enough to help yield a return on investment. I mean, if a developer isn't willing to invest in themselves then why become a developer in the first place?

Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo shouldn't have the burden of giving everyone free handouts. Even still, I know that Microsoft has a free version of almost all of their platforms. At least enough to help get a developer started on best practices in order to justify a future investment.

TwoHedWlf
Expert Trustee

Techy111 said:

I have a 6700k with my 2080ti and it's awesome still mate. Was testing last night on our new sim in task manager. It utilises 48 percent cpu but maxes out the gpu at 99 percent.

82w3gnw9e619.png

Looks like you're maxing out a couple of the cores even though the total is only 48%  So pretty good chance a faster CPU would give you some performance improvements, unless there's something you can do to level the load across the cores better.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Zenbane said:

It's easy to get a business loan to cover the startup costs of developing for a console. Banks practically hand the money out. The only developers that should be concerned are those that aren't making a game good enough to help yield a return on investment. I mean, if a developer isn't willing to invest in themselves then why become a developer in the first place?

Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo shouldn't have the burden of giving everyone free handouts. Even still, I know that Microsoft has a free version of almost all of their platforms. At least enough to help get a developer started on best practices in order to justify a future investment.

Depends on how big the developer is. An indie developer that's a one man band might be able to get a loan but the more staff you have the more dev kits you need. A staff of three (two developers and a QA Technician) will need 15-25 grand for the dev kits plus a couple of grand for each Submission (because even though it's a piece of piss for a tester to work through the TRCs, TCRs and Lot Checks hardly any of them get passed first time). And if you fail Submission too many times Microsoft up the ante and charge you over 10 grand for each following Submission lol. Can't remember how many you have to fail before that happens, might be 4 or 5.

It was always a source of frustration for me because Standards testing is SO fucking EASY. You have a checklist to work through and that's it. Lead Testers are ALWAYS missing stuff when they go through them, if it wasn't for me Eidos would have had to pay that 10-12 grand on Champ Man 2007 for the 360 because I stopped my Lead Submitting a build at the last minute because I found a Standards bug.

You also have to remember that the vast majority of VR developers are one guy working on a shoestring budget, most of them don't even have an office and the required safe to put their dev kit in.

And as far as Sony goes (because the other two aren't producing VR headsets for their consoles) they could certainly do with reaching out to developers with assistance. They HAVE been doing a certain amount of funding, to be fair, but they could be doing more tbh.

If everyone had put in just half the amount of effort and funding that Oculus have done we'd see a lot more VR games out there.

PleasegiveusfreeQuestspleasegiveusfreeQuests 😄 😄 😄

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

snowdog said:
Depends on how big the developer is. An indie developer that's a one man band might be able to get a loan but the more staff you have the more dev kits you need. A staff of three (two developers and a QA Technician) will need 15-25 grand for the dev kits plus a couple of grand for each Submission (because even though it's a piece of piss for a tester to work through the TRCs, TCRs and Lot Checks hardly any of them get passed first time).

Each developer can acquire a loan individually. Although even of just one has to do it, a loan for 15-25 grand for a business is very easy to get. Banks hand out loans for 50k-100k all the time, with manageable interest rates and payback options. So there really is just no excuse.

And Microsoft allows "self-publishing" so things are even easier now with much less cost requirements:

Microsoft today announced a new initiative to let any game developer create and sell games on its Xbox platform without having to go through any of the company’s preexisting channels. The Xbox Live Creators Program, as it’s called, is designed to let an indie team or solo developer take a retail Xbox, which doubles as a dev kit, and use it to create and self-publish the title to the Xbox marketplace.

Microsoft even partners with schools to make it easy for everyone:

And as far as Sony goes (because the other two aren't producing VR
headsets for their consoles) they could certainly do with reaching out
to developers with assistance. They HAVE been doing a certain amount of
funding, to be fair, but they could be doing more tbh.

Well everyone could be doing more tbh. Including individual developers. Such as... bringing their own financial investment to the table instead of thinking that their talent alone warrants a free handout lol