cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My rift has an intermittent black screen

SirArgon
Sightseer
 hi everyone ,I'm having a problem with my headset it's been working for a while but after I updated my nvidia card. My headset started to get a black screen while in use. I doesn't always happen while in startup. It will have maybe 3 time in 1 minute which the it would last about 3 seconds.  The audio still works But while playing a game like beat saber or jet island it is very difficult to play when my screen goes black. I love vr but this problem makes it so difficult to play any help will be appreciate. 
39 REPLIES 39

SirArgon
Sightseer
I'm having a problem with my headset it's been working for a while but after I updated my nvidia card. My headset started to get a black screen while in use. The audio still works But while playing a game like beat saber or jet island it is very difficult to play when my screen goes black. any help will be appreciate.

SirArgon
Sightseer
I'm having a problem with my headset it's been working for a while but after I updated my nvidia card. My headset started to get a black screen while in use. The audio still works But while playing a game like beat saber or jet island it is very difficult to play when my screen goes black. any help will be appreciate.

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

SirArgon said:

hi everyone ,I'm having a problem with my headset it's been working for a while but after I updated my nvidia card. My headset started to get a black screen while in use. I doesn't always happen while in startup. It will have maybe 3 time in 1 minute which the it would last about 3 seconds.  The audio still works But while playing a game like beat saber or jet island it is very difficult to play when my screen goes black. I love vr but this problem makes it so difficult to play any help will be appreciate. 

Hey SirArgon, if
you're getting intermittent black screens, try removing the headset
cable and re-connecting it. You'll need to remove the facial
interface first in order to remove the cable. Instructions on
removing the cable are available here
https://support.oculus.com/1114691701909297
. While you have the headset cable removed, check to see if any of
the pins appear bent or damaged. If you're using any kind of adapters
or extenders with your headset then try connecting directly to your
PC. Also, check in the Device Manager to make sure none of the USB
power management settings are enabled. If you're still having issues,
please contact support at https://support.oculus.com
so we can help you out. Thanks! -Rick

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

LZoltowski
Champion
I have merged all 3 threads into one and placed in Support category.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

SirArgon
Sightseer
sorry about all the other discussions I don't know how to delete them so thank you LZoltowski. I don't have any adapters and the cable looks fine no pins are bent or damaged. I have tried moving the ports around and it still no luck. I have done the power management and no luck. Any other suggestions? 

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Is this a new Rift? If it's old and well used it could be the cable bend. Try moving that section of the cable whilst wearing the headset to see if it's loose or broken inside.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

DeathThekid245
Honored Guest
I am having the exact same issue, intermittent black screens. I have rolled back my PC, even did a hard reset. I have contacted customer support. The initial response was some basic troubleshooting, my logs  and to try it on a computer that is on their list(thought that was crazy, but doable).  I accomplished all request from them, with my Oculus producing the same results each time. I sent them this information and the response I recieved was "your PC isn't an Oculus certified PC". I had already tested it on an Oculus Certified PC with the same results, intermittent black screens, per first email they sent me. Oculus customer support told me I should buy a new PC after explaining to them I was able to duplicate my error on one of their suggested PC's, it seemed like a stall email more than any sort of usable response. I am attempting to resolve here and through a customer support, that so far has made me feel nothing like a customer, let alone a valued one.This is before seeing what my next steps are.This has been an awful experience. I am only 3 months into my warranty. I like the equipment, but so far my customer support has made me retract my statement to friends to buy one and is causing me to question a refund and product change. This sucks because I felt like it was such a worthwhile purchase. I've listed below a few stats about my factory built laptop, but be aware I have tested it on a PC that 100% qualifies as one of their recommended ones,,with the same error. Please help. Thanks.
Msi 17.3" GTVR laptop
I7 -7820 processor
Nvidia GTXi 1080gtx 8 gddr5x
1tb 7200rpm+ 256gb ssd
DdR4 16gb
Windows 10 64bit

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@SirArgon - Roll back to the Nvidia driver that worked, if there's no black screens after doing this then you know it's the updated driver causing the problem. I use an older Nvidia driver because I've had problems with updated Nvidia drivers before.

@DeathThekid245 - Do the same thing try an older Nvidia driver, but in your case it sounds like you could have a faulty Rift given you've tried it on another comp. But try a different driver non the less in case they both had the same Nvidia driver installed. 

Do either of you use an Hdmi extension lead because they are a pain and can cause black screens. You have to make sure you get the correct one and that's it's 3 meters or less I believe..

SirArgon
Sightseer
ResPizla thanks for the suggestion I will try it and let y’all know if it works