cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My rift has an intermittent black screen

SirArgon
Sightseer
 hi everyone ,I'm having a problem with my headset it's been working for a while but after I updated my nvidia card. My headset started to get a black screen while in use. I doesn't always happen while in startup. It will have maybe 3 time in 1 minute which the it would last about 3 seconds.  The audio still works But while playing a game like beat saber or jet island it is very difficult to play when my screen goes black. I love vr but this problem makes it so difficult to play any help will be appreciate. 
39 REPLIES 39

SirArgon
Sightseer
I had it since last July and the problem started about November and i checked the cable and it seems it’s working fine 

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

SirArgon said:

ResPizla thanks for the suggestion I will try it and let y’all know if it works 

No problem, but I do prefer to be called RedRizla and not ResPizla. Sounds like something you would do on the toilet Respizla 😄

SirArgon
Sightseer
my bad RedRizla lol 

SirArgon
Sightseer
ok so it wouldn't let me roll back the drivers for it but I might just get a new hdmi cable for it and see if it works 

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Then just download and install the older Nvida driver. If your Rift worked before you updated the Nvidia driver then the chances are it's that particular Nvidia driver. Either that or the updated Nvidia driver didn't install correctly and became corrupt.

Hi @SirArgon I'm curious, are there any consistencies in the behaviour? you mentioned that it starts to happen after a while.

I've been experiencing a similar issue which started about a week ago. Headset is fine for 5-10 minutes then (ie after its warmed up) there are brief intermittent blackouts at roughly 2-3 minute intervalls but sometimes the intervalls are much longer.

I noticed it happens for me predominantly when a turn of the head is initiated, in this case, to the right. I checked the usual things such as connections and cable damage but cable manipulation doesn't initiate the fault so Im pretty sure the fault is with an internal component.

I've had my headset since day one and figure it's had upwards of 500 hours of moderately gentle use. I'm not really complaining too much, just a little disapointed. How many hours do you think you've had out of yours?

At the moment I can just about live with it but I think before too long I'll have to decide whether to buy a replacement. I just wish we knew when CV2 was likely to arrive as that would help me decide!

DeathThekid245
Honored Guest
Redrizla, First thanks for your suggestion. I appreciate it. I actually did rolled back my driver after doing a hard reset on my PC. It's going to be the headset. I'm just going to follow their process with reasonable diligence to prove it to customer support. It's gonna be worse than being a mosquito with a blood allergy. Fortunately the only thing stopping me from being right is time.Thanks again

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@DaftnDirect  It's a real pain not hearing anything about Oculus 2, if you have a headset that's faulty and Oculus offering no repairs. I think it's safe to say though that Oculus 2 won't be out until Christmas of this year at the earliest and is probably be going to be out sometime in 2020. This means you will have a year to wait at the very least.

Yeah that's my thinking too @RedRizla , the only silver lining being the Quest maybe showing up before long now and that's something I was intended to get regardless.

Anyway, I've just finished a session in Fallout and the blackouts are now bad enough to put an end to my VR fun for this headset. it's given me loads of fun over the last 3 years so I have to say thankyou Oculus!

The question is now how long can I go without PCVR?

How long could you guys go without PCVR?????

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@DaftnDirect -  I've had intermittent black screens before and it turned out my hdmi extension lead was to long with not enough juice going to the headset. I then had them because of a faulty hdmi lead and once through an Nvidia driver. Have you tried using dvi to hdmi connector to test if that works, or a different hdmi port? 

I don't think I could wait over a year, but I could wait until F8 to see what Oculus say about Oculus 2. I still think where over a year out though at the very least, so I'd get a refurbished Oculus PC VR headset.

Take a look at what this guy did, if it helps..

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/66166/constant-intermittent-blackouts-and-game-cras...