New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

"HDMI not connected" since last update

lyns.mac.1lyns.mac.1 Posts: 1
NerveGear
hi everyone, I updated to the new version 6 days ago, played normally that day afterwards and then shut down my computer. tried to play yesterday after restarting and it is saying that my headset has no HDMI connection. everything is plugged into the usual ports on my computer, when I plug other cables into those ports they work so I don't think it's an issue with my ports. I updated all my drivers (USB/graphics card which is a Nvidia GEforce GTX1080), updated windows, no new updates on oculus (firmware and software both up to date from what I can see). I tried uninstalling oculus and reinstalling, I've tried several adaptors to use other ports on my computer but nothing has worked. I even tried a patch from last march. Still getting the same error.... any other thoughts?? Here are my diagnostic logs as well, really appreciate any help, I also already contacted oculus support but no word yet

Comments

• ErionesEriones Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Same!! Happened the moment I installed the 1.34 update. I contacted Oculus support a week ago. They are still looking into it. My Rift keeps disconnecting every 5-10 seconds and it goes on a disconnect loop until I plug it out. Error stated on Rift is "HDMI not connected". Hope they get it fixed within this week if not I'm returning my Rift, since mine is a new unit and I'm currently at the last week of my Return window. Tried everything Oculus support told me to but now I'm stumped, there's nothing else left to try but wait for their response. Meanwhile, Chinese New Year is 2 days away and I can't show off this bad boy to my guests! :disappointed:

• Tigertamer3Tigertamer3 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    moi aussi! Have checked drivers (card- GTX 1070- and Oculus) Ailienware Aurora, i7x3.4Ghz 32 GHz System memory, 3.4 Tbts storage. etc, etc. Was ready to buy new cable (PC to HMD)but couldn't get to any support from Oculus. Don't they have phone support??? Waiting is...
  • samrhkaafsamrhkaaf Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I got the same problem. I installed two days ago the rift was normal but yesterday it was black screen. What is the problem?
  • ArcticuKitsuArcticuKitsu Posts: 16
    NerveGear
    edited February 5
    Same problem. After that update it simply chooses when it wants to run, and when it doesn't because an Nvidia update releasing "fixing" the issue for the night, then it stops working again. It was working fine until the next day (today) where it's being stubborn again. I can't do anything, I'm wasting time, and I feel bad for Eriones because it's a software issue, or so I believe from my experiences. If there's a yellow/orange light in the headset then it's software.  I wish Eriones could keep his/her headset either way because it's not hardware, but software. I feel bad for you because VR is where it's at, and I've had my Rift since 2017. Hang in there! It's just VR growing pains, that's all. 

Eriones, go to the beta tab and hit the 'Restart Oculus' which shall restart it all. Try unplugging and reblogging the cables on the back of the computer and the headset. Make sure your drivers are up to date. Other than that, the Oculus guys may have to help you in fixing it, same with my issue. Sounds like they may need to do an 'emergency patch' if it's an actual big problem. Who knows.

I'm furious I'm back at this error again. It's been fine until the last week (including today) where the latest update may have triggered something. Nvidia driver update allowed me to play briefly last night, yet can't play again. It may be my cables, or it may be software. A mix of both? Either way, this 'No HDMI connection' issue is frustrating. 
    NerveGear
    edited February 5
    Same issue here. I've had this issue on and off, with it being nasty tonight. This one from this latest update crippled me, yet allowed to play briefly thanks to an Nvidia update last night. Only last night. An Nvidia update allowed me to play last night fixing the issue briefly, yet it's back again not allowing me to do anything with the headset. Just that same error unable to mend it just having me waste my time trying to troubleshoot anything. I can't play anything, nor can I test any new VR games because of it.

I also feel bad for Eriones because VR is awesome. I had my VR since 2017 with that issue sounding like a software issue, if you do see a yellow/orange light within the headset. It connects, just needs a software nudge. A driver update, replugging of the cables, or help from the Oculus tech support in a ticket. Your typical VR growing pains with the pros outweighing the cons. It's an easy fix with an easy solution, just what is that "easy solution"? Hmm...

But yeah, I'm back to being frustrated unable to play anything, nor test any VR games out there. It seems highly touchy seeming to be software related, though my tangled cables may have something to do with it. A mix of both. I feel it's more software related again from what I'm used to since 2017. 
  • Aphasia_CMAphasia_CM Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    Same issue here. I've had this issue on and off, with it being nasty tonight. This one from this latest update crippled me, yet allowed to play briefly thanks to an Nvidia update last night. Only last night. An Nvidia update allowed me to play last night fixing the issue briefly, yet it's back again not allowing me to do anything with the headset. Just that same error unable to mend it just having me waste my time trying to troubleshoot anything. I can't play anything, nor can I test any new VR games because of it.
    I am having the *EXACT* same experience.  My rift was working fine, then on the 3rd it goes out completely, "No HDMI connected," and I freak out - uninstall, reinstall everything I can think of, roll backs, whatever... nothing works. On the 4th I see a new NVIDIA driver for my GTX 970, so I install that, and magically, everything works!  I was elated.  I even wrote to cancel my support ticket.  I came home today after work, expecting to finally to enjoy it again - and its back to the same exact issue.  The only thing I can think of is that it installed the latest beta update today while i was out?  So, I tried opting out of the beta program, it did some downloading and updating, but its still borked.

I'm going to uninstall the rift again, reinstall that same nvidia driver, and try reinstalling the oculus software... see what happens... if it works, I'm NOT opting into that beta again.  Which SUCKS because I'm jonesing to see the custom home thing.
    NerveGear
    I am having the *EXACT* same experience.  My rift was working fine, then on the 3rd it goes out completely, "No HDMI connected," and I freak out - uninstall, reinstall everything I can think of, roll backs, whatever... nothing works. On the 4th I see a new NVIDIA driver for my GTX 970, so I install that, and magically, everything works!  I was elated.  I even wrote to cancel my support ticket.  I came home today after work, expecting to finally to enjoy it again - and its back to the same exact issue.  The only thing I can think of is that it installed the latest beta update today while i was out?  So, I tried opting out of the beta program, it did some downloading and updating, but its still borked.

I'm going to uninstall the rift again, reinstall that same nvidia driver, and try reinstalling the oculus software... see what happens... if it works, I'm NOT opting into that beta again.  Which SUCKS because I'm jonesing to see the custom home thing.
    I wish you the best! If it goes well I may do what you have done "IF" it works. It's a shame it only worked that one time to revert back to being unusable. Sounds like that March patch they had to do where it bricked the Rift headsets. 

With the little information we're given I have a feeling there may be a line in the code causing an accidental reverting of these Nvidia files, or something. When we turn off the computer for the night (basically a restart) it causes something to revert back to the previous settings that they may have to fix that, or so I'm assuming. I'm taking a wild guess. 

But yeah, I saw another image with someone pointing out sound issues also having their headset error'd so there's quite a number of people actually in one manner or another. Some chimed in, others have; I can't do anything. I honestly hope they take into consideration the feedback I sent them client side asking them to give us a self-checking diagnostic tool in the Oculus Client + another option for non-tangling cables because those are the two major options here. As for the beta thing you mention, I'm a bit oblivous to that.... I use it to force restart my Oculus Rift when it has errors, or so I believe it's the "beta" you're talking about. 

I want to go back into VR so I can play VRchat. That game calms my nerves so much I just love chillin' in VRchat. I wanted to playtest 'V-Racer Hoverbike', 'Welcome Above', and a few other things. RIP. 
    NerveGear

I wish you the best of luck on your experimentation! I'll probably follow you "IF" it works after you've cleared it. The next chance I get may be Friday night, or even Saturday so I have to wait a quite a while for it to work again. It's a shame it only worked for that one night when Nvidia released that update to then revert back.

With the little information we have I'm going to assume (shoot in the dark) that there's a line of code which reverts the state of things back to the update a few days ago causing everything to error out with a 'No HDMI Connection'. A person also posted a screenshot in this forum posting an image of an audio thing also with the error. Yeah, not many people are going to chime in except for us with others just returning their headset because they can't be motivated enough to do what we do. I also sent Oculus some feedback about this in their client which I hope they take seriously because this also sounds close to the whole March thing they had going on with a separate patch dealing with the bricked headset. Maybe not, yet close in certain ways.

Yeah, a shame I can't do anything. I can't VR, I can't chill in VRchat. I was going to test out a few VR games also, being V-Hoverbike, Welcome above, and etc. I also bet you that the solution to this shall be super easy. Always is. It may be my cable, it may be Oculus's Software, or another necessary Nvidia update. Whatever it is, I hope it comes soon. 

Wish you the best. I hope whatever the Oculus Rift is tantruming about it'll be mended "soon". I hope it'll get whatever it's desiring soon, such as that Nvidia update, but longer. 
    NerveGear
    I wish you the best of luck on your experimentation! I'll probably follow you "IF" it works after you've cleared it. The next chance I get may be Friday night, or even Saturday so I have to wait a quite a while for it to work again. It's a shame it only worked for that one night when Nvidia released that update to then revert back.
    So last night I uninstalled -EVERYTHING-.  Oculus. NVIDIA software/drivers.  I ran a tool called "Display Driver Uninstaller" (https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html) because I'd heard that it was a thing to try.  

After rebooting a million times in the removals process, everything was supposedly gone, so I reinstalled Oculus, and NVIDIA 418.81 drivers/software.  I went to bed while it worked.

This morning, everything is reporting OK, HDMI is connected again.  I have NOT opted into the beta program yet, or downloaded anything else.  I'm really hoping it isn't related to that beta update... because I want that feature badly, the custom homes. :) But, I'll settle for WORKING AT ALL, versus working how I'd like.

I'll keep you posted.
  • Tigertamer3Tigertamer3 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Just had about 10 updates from Oculus, seemed like a major effort on their part. Unfortunately, it didn't seem to have any effect on our problem.
    I'm going to try the proceedure outlined by Aphasia_CM above and will get back to y'all.

NerveGear
    edited February 6
    Funny thing is even these forums bugged out to where you'll be able to see my deleted posts having came back from the dead. Semi-duplicated postings. Something happened to them when I was editing them last night to then see they're back..

As for my Oculus, still dead. You spoke of an update. What update? How do I manually check for these updates within the Oculus client? I would love a button, or option, where we can manually check for updates.
    NerveGear
    Just had about 10 updates from Oculus, seemed like a major effort on their part. Unfortunately, it didn't seem to have any effect on our problem.
    I'm going to try the proceedure outlined by Aphasia_CM above and will get back to y'all.

Update: Same day, same exact configuration - working this morning, left PC unattended all day while at work, come back and it is NOT working again. HDMI not connected.  Same damn issue. No damn clue.  
    NerveGear
    edited February 6

Update: Same day, same exact configuration - working this morning, left PC unattended all day while at work, come back and it is NOT working again. HDMI not connected.  Same damn issue. No damn clue.  
    Oh, that sucks..... Well, I did send them a log via the client so if they want the information they have to look for a client-sent log tagged -ArcticuKitsu sent yesterday (6th). Damn, I guess we're just going to have to wait and keep "bumping" the thread until something is mended. I guess I should just send them a ticket, yet afraid they'd send me through basic loops telling me to unplug everything and such, thus making me hide on the forum instead. 

I guess we wait and see while troubleshooting on our own. If they'll accept my log straight up I'll send them that. I don't want to get sent through the basic loops again, like last time. 

Sorry if you didn't want me to quote you, just keeping a close eye so we can mend this issue.
    NerveGear
    Oh, that sucks..... Well, I did send them a log via the client so if they want the information they have to look for a client-sent log tagged -ArcticuKitsu sent yesterday (6th). Damn, I guess we're just going to have to wait and keep "bumping" the thread until something is mended. I guess I should just send them a ticket, yet afraid they'd send me through basic loops telling me to unplug everything and such, thus making me hide on the forum instead. 
    Nah its cool. Im just desperate to find a fix.  VR is something Ive wanted my whole life - and now that I've finally got it, and worse had a taste of it working for a couple of weeks now flawlessly - to have it so arbitrarily removed is infuriating and frustrating as hell.  

Some of the supposed fixes and other things to try have hinted around USB issues being a cause for this, and even though my PC has a controller it says is capable I went ahead and ordered their recommended one - can't hurt, even if not the issue, I figure.  But trying to eliminate possibilities.  I figure I can spare $22 bucks or whatever on that as a test.  Fingers crossed for that, or support, to come through.
  • FalconPunch319FalconPunch319 Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    Hey I had a similar issue of getting the "no HDMI connection" message.  I'm sorry I haven't read through all the comments to see if this has been mentioned but I fixed the problem for myself and since then it has never come back.  I originally had 4 HDMI extension cables connecting from my PC to my Headset, and it worked fine for a good long stretch of time.  But then after an update I would get the "no HDMI connection" message and an orange light in the headset.  I could hear sound but just a black screen.  I tried a million ways to fix it, driver updates, different ports, etc.  Then thankfully I tested it out with using just one HDMI cable from the headset to the PC and it worked perfectly.  Tried it out with two cables and it still worked perfectly.  But that's the limit.  If I try three extension cables the headset goes black, and obviously 4 extensions made it black as well.  I had to change my room setup to have my headset closer to my PC but luckily the setup doesn't restrict any room-scale-range for me personally.  Bottom line check that you have the recommended HDMI cables, and if you have multiple extensions, test out just one cable directly to the PC, or even try the headset directly to the PC just to test it.  Had a similar issue with a USB 3.0 15ft. cable, and had my sound cutting out. Once I changed to a different cable after lots of troubleshooting the problem has never come back.  The issues for me always seem to come back to the cable connections, not the computer hardware or Oculus software.  Again sorry if someones recommended trying this, I'm just roaming support trying to offer help  :).
    NerveGear
    Hey I had a similar issue of getting the "no HDMI connection" message.  I'm sorry I haven't read through all the comments to see if this has been mentioned but I fixed the problem for myself and since then it has never come back.  I originally had 4 HDMI extension cables connecting from my PC to my Headset, and it worked fine for a good long stretch of time.  But then after an update I would get the "no HDMI connection" message and an 
    Appreciate the comments - I can see how that could be an issue for someone. HDMI extensions can be iffy anyway.  I have no extensions at all, just the original Oculus cable itself.  

I've reinstalled everything, about 5 times... tried older drivers for NVIDIA and for USB controller... Verified the HDMI port works fine by connecting a TV... Tried restarting the Oculus service... Tried moving USB connections around, removing all extra USB connections... Tried moving the sensor USB's to an external powered hub... Nothing makes any difference.  At this point the only success I have had I now see as accidental, at best.  Because it worked after doing something I had previously done that didn't work, and it stopped working again after having done nothing, and repeating the process failed to fix it... There's no rhyme or reason to this.  

I've got a new USB controller card on order for tomorrow - the one Oculus recommends - and I'll put to bed the possibility that it could be USB related with that.  If that doesn't fix it, I'm going with a fault in the Oculus cable itself as my next bet.  I just have no other ideas.
    NerveGear
    edited February 7
    Thanks for doing all these experiments. Much appreciated.

Was noted I should remove any HDMI extensions, something I don't have. I'd be repeating myself at this point so I'll try my best keeping it short. I will however renote Nvidia was the only time it worked (we know this), so I'm going to pin this on Oculus unless proven otherwise. I'm also betting it's related to the cable, or just Oculus (the company) itself. 

Friend told me to update USB & Motherboard drivers, something I believe are properly updated. If it doesn't work I'm just going to open up a ticket. If anybody is in the middle of a ticket please send them this thread. I'll send one in shortly tomorrow night. I'm getting frustrated & fed up. I had to deal with some snobby arrogant Vive users on Steam forum as well calling Oculus "Octopus Rift".... It's just VR growing pains, that's all it is. Either way, going to try opening up a ticket, trying to nudge the conversation into sending a log to them so they could view it to see where that goes.... That is unless Oculus sends out an update before I can do such, something which would be appreciated. 

I honestly miss playing VR & VRchat :angry:

-----------

On the note of faulty cables....I'm just going to show the picture of how the cable looks on my end because they refused to braid or make it anti-tangle. The tangles are so bad, yet I can still play, such as that "one night". 
    I guess I can leave the thread to you guys, but I will occasionally "bump" it if it gets too quiet until it gets resolved.
    NerveGear
    edited February 14
    Funny that.....

An Nvidia update released tonight on Feburary 13th, (or 14th, if you want to count the morning) allowing me to use my headset again. So, that was what? 14 days I couldn't use my headset because it required an Nvidia update? Please, do not make this a damn habit, Oculus. If you're reading this, do NOT make this a habit. I love VR, I want to play VR.... Do not make me wait 14 days, or more, just so I can play. I guess you can say I'm "addicted", or just that engrossed into the whole VR side of things. I NEED VRchat to relax after a stressful day of work.

Now that I'm aware I may have to wait another 14 days once I turn off my PC I'm now paranoid. I also straightened out my cable, I sent Oculus a ticket last Sunday only replying to them just last night (13th). Nvidia saved me again. I'm not happy with Oculus.....  I'm happy with my Rift, yet not happy with how it's being handled. 

I just played V-Racer Hoverbike & VRchat just fine. Here's three of my images: 1) Oculus Cable I had to straighten out so I could send customer support these images. 2) V-Racer, 3) VRchat.....

Well, I'm happy I'm able to VR, yet on my guard for once I turn off my PC at the 4 am mark EST I may not be able to play VR. I honestly wish this Nvidia updates sticks and that they'll make it so I don't have to rely on each and every new pending driver update for me to play VR on its own...... 
    NerveGear
    So, my hopefully final update on my issue...

Oculus decided there was nothing more they could do, troubleshooting wise, to address my problem and offered me a replacement headset (refurbished) that would take about 10-14 days. Since my headset was only a couple of weeks old anyway, I opted to return it to Amazon and get a brand new replacement from them, and much quicker.  

New headset arrived, plugged in, and had the same issue.  INITIALLY.  I ran the NVIDIA driver update again, reinstalling the same driver that it reported was already installed.   And now the headset is reading.  ANd has been, for the second day now.  I'm hoping that issue with the new headset was just somehow due to all the zillions of reinstalls or whatever that had been done... no idea.  
  • Spalman_ytSpalman_yt Posts: 17
    NerveGear
    Here is what I did to solve the "No HDMI Connection" Issue:
    -I have used a 3.0 USB extension cabel, I switched it upo with another one and it solved my "switching on and of every 5 seconds" problem.
    -For the "No HDMI Connection" I just unplugged the cable on the rift itself and plugged it back in. Worked fine