cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Well If This Ends Up Happening I'm Jumping Ship!

Anonymous
Not applicable
https://uploadvr.com/oculus-rift-s-code-references/

The Rift S has been referenced in code somewhere apparently and is using inside-out tracking and a software IPD instead of a physical one.

Any game using 360 degree tracking will be pretty much unplayable.

I honestly don't know what Oculus are thinking, enthusiasts are going to be leaving the Oculus platform in droves. Still got to wait and see what happens at F8 but if their CV2 is basically a Quest without the mobile phone parts I'm getting myself either a Pimax or a Valve headset and will jump back to Oculus when they release the CV3. The Rift S will probably be cheap but I'm not going near it.

Dear Oculus, if you're releasing a cheap crappy headset with inside-out tracking as your CV2 then I'm not going anywhere near it. Fuck you, I'm buying a Valve/Pimax headset next gen and MIGHT go back to Oculus for the CV3 if you release something decent.

And I actually MEAN it this time! 😞
247 REPLIES 247

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I don't really think Facebook cares if you jump ship, any more than they cared when people threatened to leave over "Oculus Exclusives." Personally, I think it is smarter to wait until the final product is revealed before posting emotional diatribes and pointless threats.

Anonymous
Not applicable
You don't need to wait until the thing is revealed (assuming that everything about it having inside-out tracking is true of course!) to know that it isn't going to have flawless 360 degree tracking.

The only thing that will have me thinking about buying it is if it has a decent FOV and/or 4K displays and foveated rendering, otherwise if it's just a Quest-lite (due to not having a Snapdragon in it) with a tether they can fuck right off as far as I'm concerned.

I'm bloody furious about this news if it turns out to be true. :angry:

I'm pretty sure they wouldn't put a PC headset out that was deficient in the tracking department. I'm no expert but I'm guessing inside out tracking (if thats what it ends up being) could have its inherent weaknesses mitigated by maybe referencing the environment at regular short intervalls with a built in camera. Isn't that what the Quest will do? Mixing motion detection with built-in camera info?

In any event, I think Zen is right, no point in prejudging at this point, you'll get stressed!

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

snowdog said:

You don't need to wait until the thing is revealed

If you don't understand the difference between facts vs rumors vs speculation vs assumption in the year 2019 then... wtf. You have never tried Quest nor do you have the slightest clue how effective Oculus' Inside-Out Tracking is when it comes to room-scale. I've read tech articles that claim Oculus tech can even be used for Arena Scale in the very near future. But we can't even get to any real conversation on this topic because you've already polluted the conversation with more pointless whining about how you will take your ball and go home. (sorry for calling it 'whining' but that's how it truly comes across)

You already made this threat in a real sense in the Pimax Megathread. Now you're making it again over an UploadVR article. And in-between both of your real threats you are constantly making what you call "jokes" with your "Fuck you Oculus, I'm buying a Vive" one-liners. You know... it's not really a joke if sometimes you mean it for real lol

You are entitled to your opinion and of course you can have your own reservations about what it would take for you to abandon the Oculus VR line of products. I have my own reservations as well! There are things Oculus could do that would turn me off and cause me to abandon this line of products. Luckily those things haven't happened yet, and unlike you I don't feel the need to constantly make my requirements for "jumping ship" a public spectacle.

With all due respect, if you're gonna leave then leave. Constantly saying "fuck you I'm leaving" is immature, uninspiring, and noisey, tbh.

ShocksVR
Superstar
You're assuming the RUMORS are 100% correct.  We have no idea what this Rift-S refresh will be like in it's final form (and it's not CV2; this is a REFRESH of the existing Rift line - like the Xbox One S is to Xbox One).

Honestly the point that you think Oculus can just release a 4k headset with perfect eye tracking and seamless foveated rendering is just silly.  The tech and software needed to enable such features are not there yet. Have you been watching the Oculus Connect videos ? (not to mention such a headset would be $1000+, effectively killing the PC side of Oculus)

If Rift-S can launch with the new Oculus lenses, a 1600p screen (or better), inside out tracking, AND a logical IPD (I hope its manual, but if it's software based they should have a good reason why); then I think Rift-S at a $350 to $400 price point is a HUGE win.  Rift-S combined with Rift exclusives will make it the PCVR headset to own.
i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), QuestPro, Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S

maxpare79
Trustee
Honeslty inside-out tracking gets bad press for nothing, I have tried the Odyssey+ and other then when I put the controllers straight at my mouth or behind my ears (which happens almost never) tracking was spot on...inside out is the future, and you could tweak it by adding more cameras....If you can't understand why, well do some research...But I will some it up for you, ease of use. No sensor setup, you just put it on and it works, and if it works great on the crappy odyssey headset, I imagine it will work flawlessy on the Rift.
I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first 🙂 I9 9900k@5.0, 32gb RAM/ 2080ti Former DK2, Gear VR,CV1 and Rift S owner

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
And as several people said on reddit, Facebook is not about to undermine the multiple multimillion-dollar software projects that are all being released. Nor are they going to sabotage the competitive VR tournaments that they actively host and fund.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Case in point,

Check out Quest's Inside Out range vs WMR:

Aside from being superior, we can still hold off to see if Oculus will put a single camera in the back of the headset. Which seems viable considering how the Rift is currently designed:

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary

In any event, I think Zen is right, no point in prejudging at this point, you'll get stressed!

I think it's a little late for that advice. You can feel Snowdog's rage. His inner spurs fan is coming to the surface. 

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.