Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Elite Exploration

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
Getting well  into my second month of exploration along this route:

3rv31vbcbl36.jpg

If you get fed up with bugs or mundane missions in the Bubble, it's well worth heading out into the black. Taking your time, doing a sesh whenever you feel like it, with no stress, no time constraints or targets - just cruise and do what you like. I'm out here with Commander Hazardous Matt and another companion, and so far my undiscovered system count is at 134. Yes, that's 134 systems that will have my commander name on them - and an awful lot top-up for the bank, and I'm nowhere near the end of the journey yet.

First, we met up at the "bottom" of the galaxy (or top, depends which way you look at it!) and then headed towards the Lagoon Colonia Highway stop. From there we headed out towards the NGC/War & Peace Nebula. There were quite a few undiscovered systems along the way - but not much that was spectacular or particularly noteworthy - just regular systems, 65 undiscovered in all. When we got to NGC, I found that all of the systems from 20LY out had been discovered.

Whilst we sat there, wondering what to do next, I came up with the route in the picture above, and Matt was keen - so off we set. Since leaving NGC, almost every system I have come across has been undiscovered and there has been lots of nice screenshot material. Planets of all kinds of colours, werid huge gas giants and silvery, mirror-like rings, not to mention very spectacular looking nebula clouds.

Here are some screens from along the way. I'm only at stage 2 - and there are another 11 to go yet! Seey sometime around Christmas.... maybe! 😉

51blj33zs7q4.bmp

See these clouds on the galaxy map?:

fah59bqftjlt.jpg

Well, they are there in the galaxy, too:

lzr32edsnzz4.jpg
q3jobvp8y412.jpg

Planets are often coloured based on the clouds around them - like this one:

zbw88wfglwhg.jpg

A typical system, ripe for scanning and imprinting with my name:

btbjaqzq2c3q.jpg

...and in many cases, they are just a few light years from each other, all in a nice, tight cluster:

c27aoqlm6ewl.jpg

You can see the nebulae we are heading for - it's almost like joining the dots:

iyr3ed8xdh3s.jpg

these are a couple of the nicer ringed bodies - the second one is actually a shining Brown (Tauri) star and was very spectacular in-game:

i9zn3iw8jjcc.jpg

v5118iszkea0.jpg

This is where we are now - was a little reluctant to enter this aggressive looking cloud - but no worries, apart from cutting out some of the light and actually obscuring some of the neighbouring stars, it's quite harmless:

r1ea1d35dt9g.jpg

epu35yjb3yhp.jpg

All of this, not even half as far away as Colonia - so you don't have to go that far to find it, and find 'fame' in the form of your name spread across astronomical bodies in the galaxy.

And it's so much more relaxing... B)

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2
648 REPLIES 648

Anonymous
Not applicable
Tried resetting router with 10secs off?
My newly upgraded Sky went from 40 to 70mbps but today dropped back to 33!

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
I've been doing some thinking about this (oh dear...)

I reckon it's down to the release of Chapter 4 more than anything - though DW2 will doubtless have an influence as well, as we have already seen from when they crashed the servers.  After a while, people doubtless got a bit bored with the game and wandered off to do other things. Chapter 4 offers a lot of new stuff to do - and claims to have sorted many of the things players found most tedious (or 'grindy' if ya like). So now, the user numbers have soared while people return to at least check out the new stuff. Maybe FD expect that the numbers will eventually recede again and so upping the capacity is not required.

A quick look over the FD forum shows how many people with otherwise good access are having connection issues in recent times.

That's my new theory, innyhoo.

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
Never mind....

Chazmeister
Rising Star
Or maybe they're just having some headaches with their servers right now. Sometimes persistent problems like this can take a good few days to nail down, especially if you're methodically working through a list of possible problems and waiting to see what the outcome is for each one. You can spend hours beating your head out on problems like this, only to find it's some box that needs ticking/unticking nested in a settings menu somewhere causing all the problems. That's why I left IT support many years ago, as it always felt like you were on the back foot, and trying to problem solve stuff in a time critical environment is just so stressful. Trust me, the IT guys trying to sort the mess out are feeling a lot worse than you are about it.

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
It would be nice if they actually publicly accepted there is an issue, though 😉

Anonymous
Not applicable
Did a speed test via Middlesbrough and got 11mbps
Did one nearer home via Lancaster and got 58mbps!

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
'kin 'ell, Chaz - I forgot just how many sentinels there are at that vessel blueprint structure! Got my 3 BPs though - and got all the way up to Novice at combat with the new profile (from the one before it) just from shooting all the sentinels (oh - not just from that structure - also from the 3 module and 2 weapon BP structures). The sentinels drop so much now, I am also full of wreckage and power conduits @ 300 and 250 parts each.

New players have it too easy! 😛

xgj12b9ek29f.jpg

uvslssidokgc.jpg

Chazmeister
Rising Star

Brixmis said:

The sentinels drop so much now, I am also full of wreckage and power conduits @ 300 and 250 parts each.

Yeah, well they fixed those a little while back if iirc, as they weren't dropping the proper amount of materials, like those wreckage parts that were rare as hen's teeth but should have been a common part. Good to see they're working properly.

I wonder if they've fixed the message spam from the disco yet? I should hope so as it's been a week or so since I last logged on.

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
I actually quite like the new add-ons, although I think I may get sick of the FSS on a long exploration trip. I can see journeys taking a lot longer than they used to. It would be nice to have a filter for the FSS, so I can cut out the USS when I want to, rather than having to go through the spectrum after finding each hot point.

They just need to fix the bugs.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Have been playing Elite Dangerous again, continuing with my mining. I'm now 56% of the way through Elite status on my Trading rank, I reckon that another three or four mining trips in my Python will give me my first Elite rank.

Next thing I'm going to do once I finish that is go to a Haz RES and kill some pirates for a bit I think, I'm currently 65% of the way through Expert so I'm going to carry on bounty hunting until I get to Master and then get off my arse and sort out my button bindings for the FSS and venture outside the Bubble for the first time. B)