cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Well If This Ends Up Happening I'm Jumping Ship!

Anonymous
Not applicable
https://uploadvr.com/oculus-rift-s-code-references/

The Rift S has been referenced in code somewhere apparently and is using inside-out tracking and a software IPD instead of a physical one.

Any game using 360 degree tracking will be pretty much unplayable.

I honestly don't know what Oculus are thinking, enthusiasts are going to be leaving the Oculus platform in droves. Still got to wait and see what happens at F8 but if their CV2 is basically a Quest without the mobile phone parts I'm getting myself either a Pimax or a Valve headset and will jump back to Oculus when they release the CV3. The Rift S will probably be cheap but I'm not going near it.

Dear Oculus, if you're releasing a cheap crappy headset with inside-out tracking as your CV2 then I'm not going anywhere near it. Fuck you, I'm buying a Valve/Pimax headset next gen and MIGHT go back to Oculus for the CV3 if you release something decent.

And I actually MEAN it this time! 😞
247 REPLIES 247

Anonymous
Not applicable
And it IS going to be the CV2 no matter what the specs are by DEFINITION. :open_mouth:

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
If Oculus decided to call it a Rift-S and makes it clear that it isn't a full CV2, then the only people who will insist on calling it the CV2 will be those interested in trolling Rift owners. That's okay though, this community has a good history of dealing with trolls. They tend to end up "leaving in droves"
😉

Anonymous
Not applicable
Wow, snowdog is serious and Zenbane defends inside-out tracking? Have we jumped into an alternate universe?!

Anyway, Zen is right: don't judge something that hasn't even been announced officially ^^'.
As for inside-out tracking, just like any other tech it improves in time. Of course it will be way better than WMR inside-out tracking, it's more recent and it's made in Oculus VR this time.
Now you know, nothing prevents you from jumping off the ship and coming back later. I mean, there's no law against it.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
lol - well it's not so much inside-out tracking that I'm defending, it's the fact that Facebook has a goal to reach "1 billion users" and is doing everything they can to achieve that goal across all 3 markets: Mobile, Stand-Alone, PCVR. With all the software they fund to throw at PCVR and their desire to hit 1-billion, I have no doubt that Rift-S will give us a fantastic 360 PCVR experience.

A simple line of code that someone discovered has turned in to some mass conspiracy theories full of terrible assumptions. Everyone knows I love Mr. snowdog but we gotta keep it real, baby. This post is a clickbait title with pure trolling comments like, "enthusiasts are going to be leaving the Oculus platform in droves."

The number of people who have falsely predicted that Oculus is going to be abandoned since 2016 is hilarious; and the fact that they have all been dead wrong is even more humorous. If Oculus survived launching with a single sensor and an XBox controller, then it will survive a Rift-S with inside-out tracking. But hey, if snowdog wants to join the list of people who failed at predicting Oculus' demise then have at it.

And let's also be clear: PCVR overall isn't even selling in droves! That's the problem every company faces. Just ask HTC and their Google buyout situation.

If PCVR isn't selling in droves, then it's a bit impossible for people to leave it in droves. Maths.

Besides, no one person can speak for the entire VR Enthusiast community anyway.

Facebook is in this for the long game, and they intend to win. If they can deliver 360 room-scale tracking with Rift-S that is on par with my current 3-sensor setup, then lets do it! For anyone who doesn't want to stick around for the next few phases of Oculus HMD's...

Wildt
Consultant
I'm hoping it will support constellation tracking too - shouldn't be that costy to throw some IR LEDs on a wired Quest.

...but if it doesn't, then they've lost me as a customer as well. Not that I assume anyone cares, just saying.
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

Anonymous
Not applicable
It will be interesting to see, guess all of this at this point is speculation.
However I would certainly welcome any information on a new Rift, just no idea whether to believe any of this is factual.

Regarding the tracking - while I have no trouble with my Rift and sensor tracking certainly it can be quite frustrating for many new users. Main thing is to have a decent motherboard with good USB 3 ports or invest in an add in card.
So I can kind of understand their desire to move away from it if they can get just as good an experience with less equipment/setup needed for it.

Whatever it takes to keep growing the PC-VR market (along with the others) will benefit all VR enthusiasts in the long run. It will be interesting to see how all this shakes out.
While I know it is a very small market for their overall scheme, there have been many flight and racing sim enthusiasts over the last several weeks jump ship and go with Odyssey and Odyssey+ and Pimax 5k+. At least as represented by what I am reading over on the forums.

maxpare79
Trustee
All I am hoping for, is that it has the same form-factor as the curret rift and not the same as PSVR/Odyssey with the HMD dangling in front of your face
I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first 🙂 I9 9900k@5.0, 32gb RAM/ 2080ti Former DK2, Gear VR,CV1 and Rift S owner

LZoltowski
Champion
Maybe, just maybe Oculus is confident that inside-out tracking is good enough to replace the 1st gen Trackers, which are not always 100% even in ideal conditions. 

From what we have seen all these extra sensors aren't always user-friendly. A move to an inside out that doesn't have any barriers the physical sensors have while still providing comparable tracking is a win for VR.

1st Gen Optical sensors
Con's
  • Dedicated space for VR needed 
  • Hard to move to another area
  • Requires a good USB controller and a lot of setup
  • Can be quite fiddly and exhausting for non-enthusiasts
  • 3 sensors needed for larger tracking volumes

Pro's
  • EXCELLENT tracking with the ideal setup and hardware
  • Allows for full 360 tracking
  • Sees the controllers behind the HMD
  • Works in dark areas
  • Works well in low tracking features areas

Oculus Inside Out

Con's
  • Possible occlusion zones behind the head with controllers
  • May not work in room's with little trackable features, such as plain white walls
  • Will require a moderately lit room/area

Pro's
  • Great tracking on par with Optical controllers (as per reviews and impressions) although not 100% yet
  • Allows for full 360 tracking (we have seen this from videos, it wont see the controller behind your head, but it does full 360)
  • No setup, it just works
  • Can be played in any space at any time, you can move from room to room and it remembers them (This is great for the Quest as you can play anywhere, for PC version will be fantastic for laptop owners too)
  • Possible AR passthrough
  • Your play area is the size of the planet, no volume size constraint.

https://twitter.com/raywongy/status/1082342870009270277

It becomes very apparent very quickly where things are going to go for VR, outside in tracking will be out of the doors in the future, it's a 1st gen idea that came about from the fact that the tech didn't mature enough at that time

------ PS

Also, PC based Inside Out Tracking could even be further improved beyond to what the Quest will offer. 

At the moment Quest's tracking cameras are bound to how little processing power it has to use for an on-board Snapdragon. (including limited battery life)

Without a CPU and power constraint, the PC version could include additional cameras (as @zenbane mentioned), higher res cameras, even maybe IR laser grids projectors (aka Kinnect) to further improve the accuracy.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Wildt
Consultant
Another pro for constellation tracking is the possibility to track your entire body with cheap IR LEDs fitted to belt, shoes or whatever. 
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

I'd say the VR dream is inside out tracking.  It's what everybody should be aiming for.

If i ever have time and can be bothered i might search these forums for the early posts when many were horrified that the Rift might use cameras!  Duh duh Duuuuurrrrr!

You stick to playing games in your "playspace".  I'll be doing backflips in my garden - in VR!!!
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3