cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Well If This Ends Up Happening I'm Jumping Ship!

Anonymous
Not applicable
https://uploadvr.com/oculus-rift-s-code-references/

The Rift S has been referenced in code somewhere apparently and is using inside-out tracking and a software IPD instead of a physical one.

Any game using 360 degree tracking will be pretty much unplayable.

I honestly don't know what Oculus are thinking, enthusiasts are going to be leaving the Oculus platform in droves. Still got to wait and see what happens at F8 but if their CV2 is basically a Quest without the mobile phone parts I'm getting myself either a Pimax or a Valve headset and will jump back to Oculus when they release the CV3. The Rift S will probably be cheap but I'm not going near it.

Dear Oculus, if you're releasing a cheap crappy headset with inside-out tracking as your CV2 then I'm not going anywhere near it. Fuck you, I'm buying a Valve/Pimax headset next gen and MIGHT go back to Oculus for the CV3 if you release something decent.

And I actually MEAN it this time! 😞
247 REPLIES 247

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Shouldn't jump off snowy, you need to jump on !!!!

jqdfpyy6zjnf.jpg
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
How do we know that they haven't worked something out for tracking behind the head? They have some games on the Oculus store that require you to place your hands behind your head, so I just can't see them making a headset that doesn't work with the games on their store. To be fair though, I think lots more people would be interested in a VR headset with inside out tracking due to ease of setup. 

Edit: Devs could just make it that when you put your hand over your shoulder it could be classed as been behind your head. I mean, it's not a million miles way from your hands been behind your head. Anyways, I'll be buying one. The Vive and other headset pricing is just silly to me, so Oculus is a no brainer. I might have looked at the Samsung Odyssey, but it's not sold here in the UK and no doubt Oculus will do it better..

nalex66
MVP
MVP
I’ll give Oculus the benefit of the doubt on their Insight tracking. They wouldn’t put it in the Rift S if it wasn’t up to the job.

Looking at the rumours, the Rift S does make some sense. It’s not CV2 with all the fantastic new tech that’s been previewed, but perhaps they know that they’re still a few years away from getting that into a shippable (and affordable) product. A lot of people have been hollering for just such a refresh—better screens and lenses like the Go and Quest, easier setup without external sensors and USB bandwidth issues... it could fix the Rift’s shortcomings, and also be a more affordable product than the CV1.

I do have a couple reservations, though—for one, not having a physical IPD adjustment worries me. The Go is better than the DK2, but I still can’t quite get both eyes into the sweet spot with my 72mm IPD. I also prefer the Rift Touch controllers with their downward rings. They help keep the controllers properly positioned when I relax my grip, and they’ve protected my knuckles from many nasty bashes. I don’t think the Quest-style controllers will be quite as ergonomically comfortable.

Anyway, I’ll reserve judgement until we have some real information, but I can see the benefit of a low-priced Rift 1.5 while we wait for CV2. 

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Personally I've given up spending much time on rumors concerning future products. I'll consider new products when they are available and thorough reviews have been done. So much can change before new products are finished. 

So - regarding Rift 2 - I'm quite sure someone wrote a song about it  B)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-diB65scQU

I did note that Zuckerberg promised full backward compatibility for previous games and apps in future HMDs. Interesting how that will work out - at least I assume that tracking then must be of a similar quality as CV1. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Wildt said:

Another pro for constellation tracking is the possibility to track your entire body with cheap IR LEDs fitted to belt, shoes or whatever. 

Yeah, I remember hearing about how this was gonna be all the rage back when HTC released these...

The Industry is still waiting to see how epic this was supposed to be lol

pyroth309
Visionary
Personally, and I've said it several times before since the CV2 was rumored when I first got to these boards, inside out is a lot more ideal for the average user than constellation and I have no problem with it if it's done well . I own an Odyssey+ and have at least 300 hours of use into it by now, for 90% of games out there the tracking is good enough. Some archery games it's a pain and as a taller guy who is 6'4, beat saber is a pain to play for me as I have to force my hands to stay within the cameras. Having more cameras would solve this and I'd be all for it. The prediction tech of WMR is the most impressive thing about those headsets as it allows you 2 seconds to reach behind you or off to the side out of vision,, something that would be even more impressive with more cameras. A rift with updated optics is what I've been wanting from the start so, good chance I'm going to get one. The only wildcard for me personally is what Valve is working on. 

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

nalex66 said:

I do have a couple reservations, though—for one, not having a physical IPD adjustment worries me. The Go is better than the DK2, but I still can’t quite get both eyes into the sweet spot with my 72mm IPD. 

They might use software to do the IPD adjustments.

I think we're in a very good position. Quest will give us a great idea of how Oculus' inside-out tech has progressed when that releases, so we shouldn't have to rely too much on guesswork at that point. Not withstanding the possibility of it improving further with the added computing power available from a PC and any other technical development done between that of the Quest and Rift S or CV2 (again, assuming the latter 2 are inside-out).

Anonymous
Not applicable
The problem is that more cameras won't solve problems that archery games will have. The problems that archery games have is caused by the controllers being too close to the headset. Even if you add an extra two cameras to the back of the headset you'll still have issues with the controllers being concluded if they're too close to your head.

And it'll be the CV2 because it's the second Consumer Version of the Rift.

nalex66
MVP
MVP

RedRizla said:

nalex66 said:

I do have a couple reservations, though—for one, not having a physical IPD adjustment worries me. The Go is better than the DK2, but I still can’t quite get both eyes into the sweet spot with my 72mm IPD. 

They might use software to do the IPD adjustments.

Yeah, there is a software IPD adjustment, which led to the rumour of no physical adjustment. Software-only is fine if the lenses are large enough to get both eyes in the sweet spot, but so far no Oculus headset has done a great job of accommodating very high or low IPD values. Even the CV1 only goes up to 70mm, which is thankfully close enough due to the large sweet spot of the lenses.

Go has great lenses, but the single screen limits how wide the image can stretch, so I hope they keep the separate screens that Quest uses. 

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo