Elite Exploration - Page 15 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Elite Exploration

Comments

• JD-UKJD-UK Posts: 2,288 Valuable Player
    edited January 28
    Have they changed the mining one? I tried it a week ago and it was still doing the old system (which obviously won't work).

• RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 609
    Neo
    edited January 28
    Brixmis said:
    Have they changed the mining one? I tried it a week ago and it was still doing the old system (which obviously won't work).
    Seismic Charges, Abrasion Blasters, Sub-Surface Displacement missiles, Wave Scanner....

No, no change :)   (except you can't do the new way in a T6/T7 any more)

I'll team up with you with my new commander if you want to give it a go.  The new-fangled Void Opals can be found at Arthur C Clarke station's planet but they are only paying 330k credits per unit - some markets will pay as much as 1.6 Mill...

Blowing up an ice chunk is surprisingly theraputic...
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, Gigabyte GTX 1080, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Corsair Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD 3K screen)
    edited January 28
    I meant the tutorials. @Digikid1 said he did the tutes before playing. When I started this second profile, I did the tutorials to ensure all my assignments were okay - but only got as far as the mining tutorial, because it used the old system and therefore wouldn't work.

I was asking if it had since been updated to the new method ;)

Thanks for the invite, though. I might take you up on that (using the old profile, which we're befriended via in any case).

Neo
    Sorry for the misunderstanding @Brixmis ; - original CMDR is in the Eagle Sector chasing A class stars (Bio research) and the new near Arthur C CLarke having tried out the new mining 'properly'.  He is my 'bubble' CMDR currently and is having some fun doing various tasks.
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, Gigabyte GTX 1080, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Corsair Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD 3K screen)
    edited January 28
    No worries :)

I've ended up going back to my little profit triangle in the Python, carrying 256t of potential cargo load after a visit to Felicity to say 'hi' and found that all the systems that were in boom are now at war :(

Never mind, some of the neighbouring systems are in boom - but all my allied factions are busy killing each other.

Got myself a DBX from Deciat, too, so that I can go and do those Guardian structures yet again (oh wasn't it such fun!) and get myself a Guardian FSD booster for the Python to take me to Colonia (by the scenic route, of course). I reckon, with the new FSS way of doing things, it's going to take several months to get there.

Can't remember offhand, where those areas are that your commanders are loitering. I'm deep in imperial territory with my new profile and I'm leaving Brixmis based at Gamow in Chaxiraxi (it's quite new to me, so not much local rep as yet). Got all my fleet there and can set one up for mining in a jiffy. I've been reading the very opposed views on the pulse wave analyzer (sic) and not made up my mind if having one is actually worthwhile. Perhaps you can sway my thinking...

*just comparing my two Pythons:

1st - value = 231,301,951cr

2nd - value = 105,050,483

that's a big difference! Considering both are fully A-rated (for combat), both carrying maximum cargo. The difference being Python 1 has a military grade hull, the Guardian FSD booster and two turreted Guardian shard cannon for double the price!

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,400 Valuable Player
    Digikid1 said:
    Holy crap what an over complicated game....I spent 20 minutes just trying to dock in the base in the training mission.....then another 15 minutes bouncing around in the hanger just trying to get it landed.

Said screw it and went for a trainer on mining....which I was actually good at....so went to mine in the solo mode and only guns were popping out on my hardpoints.....never figured that one out.

LOL!!!!!!!!!

Yup, there's a steep learning curve but I was helped out by playing the first game religiously in the 80s, 90s and 00s so I already knew the flight model.

Your best bet is to work through the tutorials a few times and watch a load of YouTube videos before jumping into the game.

Once you do have it all worked out you'll spend HOURS at a time in the game.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    Wasn't like that on release - it was pretty straightforward.

• ChazmeisterChazmeister Posts: 534
    Neo
    I suppose it depends how used you are to playing sims, as ED is a sim at heart, along with all the usual features of a sim such as a steep learning curve, lots and lots of buttons to spend time configuring etc etc, basic tutorials, no hand holding or graduated quest line of any sort to follow and ease you in. It's the kind of game where you're going to spend the first few hours of play just figuring out the basics and getting used to the controls and doing a bit of remapping.

For me personally I would kind of call it a sim lite, as it is quite accessible as far as these things go, but for others not used to these types of games, I can see how complicated it might seem at first, especially if you're not used to flying games.
    The official version:

• OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 397
    Trinity
    edited January 29
    I bought Lakon type 9 trader ship and now i see missions that offer 5 milion a pop but require a smaller ship, where were these when i was in my smaller ship. lol
    Neo
    He-he...   had a go at mining earlier, picked up a Void Opal or two, sold them for silly and bought a Krait MkII with the proceeds (and ship swap) then kitted it out and did a bit more, various minerals rather than just Opals, brilliant fun, was in pancake so had good headphones on, those booms are spectacular :)  Decided that core mining is fun but still doing it the 'old' way gets you spare mats in the meantime too.

Well you'd know all about "the old way"  :D

He says.... :(

Using the new night vision device makes navigating ruins and structures considerably easier:

Night vision is cool but fighting pirates in a dark RES isn't as entertaining with it lol :D
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Don't rely solely on the EDDB info - whichever site or app you use for it.

Today I made the mistake of running out of fuel in my SRV. I have never come across this situation before, so I gave myself a break from the self-castigating and went to look for the closest starport (I'm outside the Bubble). It came up as a system about 8 jumps away. Not great, but not that bad. The planet I was on did have about 8% of phospherous, which I would need to synthesise fuel, but I didn't know how long the SRV would last, and besides - the systems were all offline, so I couldn't blast any outcrops or the like.

I started the journey - had no choice - and decided to scan all the systems along the way with the FSS, just to make the financial reward offset the time 'wasted'. After 4 jumps, I came across a system that had, not only a large number of bodies, but a large number of high metal content planets - and then I came across something called "New Growth". I didn't recognise the symbol in the targeting panel, but I did see a few ships flying close to it. So off I went to investigate. Sure enough - it was an asteroid starport. Only about 8 docking bays - but it had a shipyard and outfitting, as well as all the contacts you could want.

Lesson learned!

Sick of their incompetence or unwillingness to provide the necessary server space and availability - most noticable at weekends. This is why there was such an uproar when the promised single player/offline  mode was ditched.

FD you are hereby pronounced fucking useless incompetents.

I just looked something up on Google and guess what came up under images? Yup - all the screenshots in this thread!

Hey, commanders, we're famous!!  :D

I've been famous for quite some time...just for all the wrong reasons lol 

...and we're back to same old. 5 attempts to play - twice unable to connect to a server and 3 times seemingly got in, but only lasted a few seconds - until entering supercruise, at which point it's Game Over.

FD just don't seem to care that their reputation is getting worse by the day and that the claims that they don't care if a large portion of players can't play - after all, they have your money, appear to have some truth to them.

• MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 1,707
    3Jane
    edited February 5
    Tried resetting router with 10secs off?
    My newly upgraded Sky went from 40 to 70mbps but today dropped back to 33!
    edited February 6
    I've been doing some thinking about this (oh dear...)

I reckon it's down to the release of Chapter 4 more than anything - though DW2 will doubtless have an influence as well, as we have already seen from when they crashed the servers.  After a while, people doubtless got a bit bored with the game and wandered off to do other things. Chapter 4 offers a lot of new stuff to do - and claims to have sorted many of the things players found most tedious (or 'grindy' if ya like). So now, the user numbers have soared while people return to at least check out the new stuff. Maybe FD expect that the numbers will eventually recede again and so upping the capacity is not required.

A quick look over the FD forum shows how many people with otherwise good access are having connection issues in recent times.

That's my new theory, innyhoo.

edited February 6
    Never mind....

Neo
    Or maybe they're just having some headaches with their servers right now. Sometimes persistent problems like this can take a good few days to nail down, especially if you're methodically working through a list of possible problems and waiting to see what the outcome is for each one. You can spend hours beating your head out on problems like this, only to find it's some box that needs ticking/unticking nested in a settings menu somewhere causing all the problems. That's why I left IT support many years ago, as it always felt like you were on the back foot, and trying to problem solve stuff in a time critical environment is just so stressful. Trust me, the IT guys trying to sort the mess out are feeling a lot worse than you are about it.
    It would be nice if they actually publicly accepted there is an issue, though ;)

3Jane
    Did a speed test via Middlesbrough and got 11mbps
    Did one nearer home via Lancaster and got 58mbps!
    edited February 6
    'kin 'ell, Chaz - I forgot just how many sentinels there are at that vessel blueprint structure! Got my 3 BPs though - and got all the way up to Novice at combat with the new profile (from the one before it) just from shooting all the sentinels (oh - not just from that structure - also from the 3 module and 2 weapon BP structures). The sentinels drop so much now, I am also full of wreckage and power conduits @ 300 and 250 parts each.

New players have it too easy! :p

Neo
    Brixmis said:
    The sentinels drop so much now, I am also full of wreckage and power conduits @ 300 and 250 parts each.

Yeah, well they fixed those a little while back if iirc, as they weren't dropping the proper amount of materials, like those wreckage parts that were rare as hen's teeth but should have been a common part. Good to see they're working properly.

I wonder if they've fixed the message spam from the disco yet? I should hope so as it's been a week or so since I last logged on.
    I actually quite like the new add-ons, although I think I may get sick of the FSS on a long exploration trip. I can see journeys taking a lot longer than they used to. It would be nice to have a filter for the FSS, so I can cut out the USS when I want to, rather than having to go through the spectrum after finding each hot point.

They just need to fix the bugs.

Have been playing Elite Dangerous again, continuing with my mining. I'm now 56% of the way through Elite status on my Trading rank, I reckon that another three or four mining trips in my Python will give me my first Elite rank.

Next thing I'm going to do once I finish that is go to a Haz RES and kill some pirates for a bit I think, I'm currently 65% of the way through Expert so I'm going to carry on bounty hunting until I get to Master and then get off my arse and sort out my button bindings for the FSS and venture outside the Bubble for the first time. B)

3Jane
    edited February 23
    snowdog said:
    venture outside the Bubble for the first time. B)
    Don't waste any of your time Exploring (in a positive way I mean) but use your time in a straight line to cover 5000lys to unlock Prof. Palin for Gd5 Dirty Drives. I did this in a stripped down Hauler with 50lys Jump Range (engineered) and it took me 6 solid hours there and back again. The Hauler made it fun with it's weird engine sounds and remains my super fast taxi at 600ms! Be sure to always look on the GalMap on each half of fuel to check in advance if you can in fact reach a scoopable Star with OBAFGKM o7