cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Well If This Ends Up Happening I'm Jumping Ship!

Anonymous
Not applicable
https://uploadvr.com/oculus-rift-s-code-references/

The Rift S has been referenced in code somewhere apparently and is using inside-out tracking and a software IPD instead of a physical one.

Any game using 360 degree tracking will be pretty much unplayable.

I honestly don't know what Oculus are thinking, enthusiasts are going to be leaving the Oculus platform in droves. Still got to wait and see what happens at F8 but if their CV2 is basically a Quest without the mobile phone parts I'm getting myself either a Pimax or a Valve headset and will jump back to Oculus when they release the CV3. The Rift S will probably be cheap but I'm not going near it.

Dear Oculus, if you're releasing a cheap crappy headset with inside-out tracking as your CV2 then I'm not going anywhere near it. Fuck you, I'm buying a Valve/Pimax headset next gen and MIGHT go back to Oculus for the CV3 if you release something decent.

And I actually MEAN it this time! 😞
247 REPLIES 247

pyroth309
Visionary
I think the pros will outweigh the cons for the average user, especially if they can improve upon the WMR 2 second prediction window or use some kind of other trick to provide tracking outside of camera to keep things smooth. Quest should give us a good preview of their tech I would imagine. I know for me, I'm anxious to get rid of all the USB cables.  The Odyssey+ really made me appreciate the single cable as I can just grab it and go to a friends house to show them or just plug it into my laptop when I'm on the go and start playing. I also like that it can map and use 100% of my space as I have some problem areas in the corners with my 3 sensor setup that are too far to get good tracking from the cameras. So having those extra square feet is really nice.

So yea, definitely not a dealbreaker for me to have inside out tracking if it's better than WMR. If it's the same or worse... well I'll likely be disappointed at this stage of the game. 

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

snowdog said:

Well I've calmed down a little now lol 

I guess we'll have to wait and see what the 360 tracking is like before I pass judgement.

But if it doesn't have a better FOV than the current Rift I'm still going to look elsewhere I think, either a Pimax or a Valve headset. I'm hoping that @Shadowmask72's Pimax headset is going to be decent otherwise I'll probably have to do the unthinkable and give Valve some of my money. And that thought HORRIFIES me 😮

Just don't come back here saying how great Valve is if you do decide to jump ship 😄

Anonymous
Not applicable
I will NEVER do that. They're still a bunch of cunts until they either learn how to count to three or bring Half Life 2 VR to the table  😄

ohgrant
Superstar
 1.5 CV2, what's in a name? A rose by any other name...Just my opinion, but I do think there is probably a lower end Oculus consumer version coming out for the PC. Though the sales aren't quite there yet for WMR, I think they will become a much more aggressive competitor than HTC. Their store front is pre-installed with Windows. I think it may be crucial for Oculus's survival, as a market leader in VR hardware, to try to capture the lower to mid grade market. 
 Having one model for PC and now being in the middle as far as cost to me is not a good place to be in my opinion.
I have confidence Oculus will be around as game developer for VR for a long time. 
 In any case, I'm willing to wait to see what they eventually come up with for their high end version, I may jump ship a few times before their next high end version and will more than likely be back. 

Gigabyte  AB350 Ryzen 2700x, 32gb ddr 4 3200, 2080ti. HP Reverb G2, Index controllers, Quest 1 and 2x Quest 2. 65" 3DTV HD3D DLP projector.

RedRizla said:

snowdog said:

I guess we'll have to wait and see what the 360 tracking is like before I pass judgement.

But if it doesn't have a better FOV than the current Rift I'm still going to look elsewhere I think, either a Pimax or a Valve headset. I'm hoping that @Shadowmask72's Pimax headset is going to be decent otherwise I'll probably have to do the unthinkable and give Valve some of my money. And that thought HORRIFIES me 😮

Just don't come back here saying how great Valve is if you do decide to jump ship 😄

Vive pro with wireless is a very good headset.  Their inability to release anything better than their pathetic wands makes it meaningless to someone who has used the Touch controllers though.
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

Anonymous
Not applicable

RedRizla said:

snowdog said:

Vive pro with wireless is a very good headset.  Their inability to release anything better than their pathetic wands makes it meaningless to someone who has used the Touch controllers though.

It WOULD be a very good headset if they had a) been bothered to change the crappy lenses and b) you didn't need to take out a second mortgage to buy one.

A headset that costs over a grand to buy SHOULDN'T need you to mod with GearVR lenses.

It's a bit of a shite headset if you REALLY start to think about it.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

Vive pro with wireless is a very good headset.  

Not for the price it's not, it should be twice as good for what Valve charge for it.

Yep, for enterprise use where's there's a business model for it, a Vive Pro is a great headset, maybe even the best.

Our VR business models are likely to be based more on how much time we'd have to spend convincing our partners we really do need these things.... or how many tins of baked beans we'd have to survive on in order to pay for it.

Edit: Just to avoid confusion, for 97.4% of VR users*, a Vive Pro is not the right choice.

*Based on Steam survey January results for headset use.

LZoltowski
Champion
In other news, Oculus Go App on Google play store now has 1,000,000+ installs, I would hedge a bet there are 2.5 million of them out there. Not bad, not bad at all. I have a feeling Quest will do rather well.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable
Reminds me of the 90s. I was saving up for a new PC build so I started eating plenty of beans on toast to save a few quid. I was still working behind the bar and drinking 20-odd pints every day though lmfao 😄 😄 😄

Started doing sandwiches too. Cutting down on my kebabs, burgers and curries saved me a good few quid. 😄