cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Well If This Ends Up Happening I'm Jumping Ship!

Anonymous
Not applicable
https://uploadvr.com/oculus-rift-s-code-references/

The Rift S has been referenced in code somewhere apparently and is using inside-out tracking and a software IPD instead of a physical one.

Any game using 360 degree tracking will be pretty much unplayable.

I honestly don't know what Oculus are thinking, enthusiasts are going to be leaving the Oculus platform in droves. Still got to wait and see what happens at F8 but if their CV2 is basically a Quest without the mobile phone parts I'm getting myself either a Pimax or a Valve headset and will jump back to Oculus when they release the CV3. The Rift S will probably be cheap but I'm not going near it.

Dear Oculus, if you're releasing a cheap crappy headset with inside-out tracking as your CV2 then I'm not going anywhere near it. Fuck you, I'm buying a Valve/Pimax headset next gen and MIGHT go back to Oculus for the CV3 if you release something decent.

And I actually MEAN it this time! 😞
247 REPLIES 247

In other news, Oculus Go App on Google play store now has 1,000,000+ installs, I would hedge a bet there are 2.5 million of them out there. Not bad, not bad at all. I have a feeling Quest will do rather well.

I don't know what the split is these days between apple & android but yeah, I'd say 2 mil is a safe bet. So yeah pretty good in what.... 10 or 11 months?

I'm going to guess double that for Quest.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

snowdog said:

The Vive Pro is also a CV2 and I've said that right from the start. It was the first headset of the second generation.

So I guess we need to have a conversation about the difference between:
  • First Release vs Version 1.0
  • Second Release vs Version 2.0
Okay here we go:
  1. The word "release" is not spelled with the letter "V"
  2. The word "version" is spelled with the letter "V"
  3. The phrase "CV" translates to "Consumer Version"
  4. The phrase "CV" does not translate to "Consumer Release"
  5. The Letter V <> The Letter R
  6. A release happens using Whole Numbers. Release 1, Release 2, etc.
  7. Versioning happens with Fractions: Version 1.0, Version 1.1, Version 1.2, etc.

As as software engineer I guess I've taken it for granted that most people understand the difference between a Release and a Version. Both Software and Hardware typically have a form of version control.

Here is some documentation on that:

They implement a major/minor point system at the very least. So the phrase "Version 2.3" would mean that there have been "2 major updates" and "3 minor updates."

So the Vive 1.0 is released first, and Vive 1.5 is released second. It is literally impossible to increment a hardware or software version without actually releasing the new version. So... there's no way to release the Vive 1.5 without actually releasing 1.0 first and then 1.5 second. But the "first" and "second" order should in no way trick someone's mind in to thinking that the Versions are 1.0 and 2.0.

Remember, CV stands for "Consumer Version." Also remember that Fractions are important in Math.
😘

Techy111
MVP
MVP
I think you are being a 1/3 too pedantic there Zen  o:)
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Techy111 said:

I think you are being a 1/3 too pedantic there Zen  o:)

You're probably right. In fact, my first gut response was just to point out the various versions of Skyrim:
  • The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  • The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Legendary Edition
  • The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition
  • The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Nintendo Switch Edition
  • The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim VR
But that seemed 2/3 too unfunny
😛

Techy111
MVP
MVP
3 thirds true mate........3 thirds true 😉
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

....I would hedge a bet there are 2.5 million of them [Oculus GO] out there.

Find that very hard to consider - at best there could be 1.3m - but if there had been over 2m we would have seen news from the Chinese production operation of re-tooling and also I think that kind of news would have forced OVR management to "hint" at it to media and devs. Best we moderate expectations there  B)
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Anonymous
Not applicable

kevinw729 said:

....I would hedge a bet there are 2.5 million of them [Oculus GO] out there.

Find that very hard to consider - at best there could be 1.3m - but if there had been over 2m we would have seen news from the Chinese production operation of re-tooling and also I think that kind of news would have forced OVR management to "hint" at it to media and devs. Best we moderate expectations there  B)

Are you seriously suggesting that there are only 300,000 iPhone users downloading the app? Makes more sense that an estimate of 2m at least is more accurate, unless you think that people are downloading the app for a bit of a laugh and not using the thing lol 😄

Luciferous
Consultant

Techy111 said:

3 thirds true mate........3 thirds true 😉

I have heard the next Rift will be called CV2b. Let's discuss whether it's 2b or not 2b. 

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

snowdog said:
Are you seriously suggesting that there are only 300,000 iPhone users downloading the app? Makes more sense that an estimate of 2m at least is more accurate, unless you think that people are downloading the app for a bit of a laugh and not using the thing lol 😄

.... and NOW he's back. There's the frost puppy that we all know and love. Missed ya, buddy. Where ya been? Watcha been doing over there in Naughty Pants Land?
😉

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

snowdog said:
..... unless you think that people are downloading the app for a bit of a laugh and not using the thing lol 😄

Exactly, just like all those GearVR's  😄
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959