Oculus Rift no audio left or right, possible broken ribbon on right side, solutions, fixes? — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus Rift no audio left or right, possible broken ribbon on right side, solutions, fixes?

markm75markm75 Posts: 68
Hiro Protagonist
edited February 6 in General
At one point when adjusting the rift on the right side, the slide area cracked on the thicker part coming off the goggles.. i think when this occured.. at some point the ribbon inside cut in half during trying to adjust around the cracked area.  (its a very thin ribbon maybe 1/4" in diameter in the top channel)
In doing this i think it killed sound altogether.. i hope that is all..

Given this.. is there a way to fix this ribbon or get sound back to the existing headphones.. or am i just as well off to add another bluetooth headset somehow, jury rigged ontop?  (any suggestions there too)..  Actually.. wouldnt using third party headphones lose spatial tracking ability that the built in ones have?

I only ask about the ribbon too because i thought i read somewhere it might affect tracking somehow, being broke?  (not really sure how to fully open the cracked part of the sliding area to see both ends of the ribbon and work on them either).
Thanks in advance (i assume there is no out of warranty service available either).

Comments

• RolzRolz Posts: 197
    Art3mis
    right headphone dying is a known issue... I just bought a set of headphones to use instead of being without for x weeks :)
    CPU: i7 7700K @ 5GHz | GPU: Asus ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB| MOBO: Asus ROG Maximus IX Code | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200MHz | HDD: Samsung 960 EVO 500 M.2, Micron 512GB SSD, RAID5 WD RED 1.8TB| PSU: Corsair HX850 | OS: Win 10 x86_64| MONITOR: Oculus Rift CV1 | Audio: Onboard Realtek | Gear: Fanatec CSW v2 | Rim Clubsport BMW GT2, Clubsport Formula | Fanatec Shifter SQ v1.5 | DSD 2015 Pedals | Sim-Lab GT1 | Vision Racer Bucket Seat

• RichooalRichooal Posts: 1,141
    Wintermute
    edited February 6
    markm75 said:

I only ask about the ribbon too because i thought i read somewhere it might affect tracking somehow, being broke?  (not really sure how to fully open the cracked part of the sliding area to see both ends of the ribbon and work on them either).
    Thanks in advance (i assume there is no out of warranty service available either).

If your phone camera is able to see IR, use it to look at the back of the head band. It will tell you if the LED's are affected too.
    Outside of warranty, there is no service, no parts and no repair providers. Maybe you could check ebay for broken HMD's.

There's also places like this as a last resort .....................
    https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Oculus+Rift+CV1+Teardown/60612
    The side strap starts at about Step 16.

i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - 0 PROBLEMS
  • markm75markm75 Posts: 68
    Hiro Protagonist
    Rolz said:
    right headphone dying is a known issue... I just bought a set of headphones to use instead of being without for x weeks :)
    In my case it's complete loss of sound left and right 
    Hiro Protagonist
    Richooal said:
    markm75 said:

If your phone camera is able to see IR, use it to look at the back of the head band. It will tell you if the LED's are affected too.
    Outside of warranty, there is no service, no parts and no repair providers. Maybe you could check ebay for broken HMD's.

There's also places like this as a last resort .....................
    https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Oculus+Rift+CV1+Teardown/60612
    The side strap starts at about Step 16.

I don't think my s8 sees in IR. I didn't realize there were leds back there  Is there another way to test the tracking to know if more is broke tracking wise 

I'll also take a look at the article. Guessing no easy way to mend the ribbon 
  • RichooalRichooal Posts: 1,141
    Wintermute
    markm75 said:
    I don't think my s8 sees in IR. I didn't realize there were leds back there  Is there another way to test the tracking to know if more is broke tracking wise 

Most phone cameras do see the LED's, just try it. Nothing special req'd, turn on the camera and point. The only ones that won't see the LED's are those with an IR Filter on the lens.
    i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - 0 PROBLEMS
    Hiro Protagonist
    Richooal said:
    markm75 said:

Most phone cameras do see the LED's, just try it. Nothing special req'd, turn on the camera and point. The only ones that won't see the LED's are those with an IR Filter on the lens.
    Well I was able to see the LEDs on the headset itself using my phone camera but no LEDs are visible in the headband so I guess this is a real problem
  • wanoennogswanoennogs Posts: 165
    Art3mis
    edited February 7
    markm75 said:
    Rolz said:
    I have the same with my Rift.  There is no fix.
    If your Rift is still under warrenty send it back.  If it is not under warrenty buy a pair of wireless headphones and mirror the Rift sound.
    Hiro Protagonist
    markm75 said:
    Rolz said:
    I have the same with my Rift.  There is no fix.
    If your Rift is still under warrenty send it back.  If it is not under warrenty buy a pair of wireless headphones and mirror the Rift sound.
    Yes to the headphones but the rear sensors being offline isnt hugely desirable.. i'm still checking with their support though.