cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home just destroying RAM while using custom imports

WebMetalReese
Protege
I've been using rift for a little over two weeks and have become addicted to creating custom glb files for my Home. Normally when I am in an empty home it uses around 30% of my RAM, which is fine but.....
The only problem is when I actually import said items, home starts eating RAM and causing lag/jitters. I keep all of my files well below 15 MB. There have also been times where I was placing items in the folder, starting Oculus and my RAM shoots up to 100% - I look at my C: and normally have about 15-17GB of free space but during those times when it's using 100% the space goes down to 5GB or less! 
It makes me not want to actually use custom items anymore, which makes me sad because it's fun to do. 
Any tips or suggestions on what might be causing the issues? 
My PC specs:
AMD Ryzen 5 1600
ATI Radeon RX 980
16GB RAM
14 REPLIES 14

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Maybe add more ram?
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

WebMetalReese
Protege
Sorry ATI Radeon RX 580.
I thought about that honestly, but to be fair to run the software it only calls for 8GB. All games run fine, no choppiness or stutter, just Home and only when I import items. If I just run without it - it's fine. 
So my asking for help is in regards to custom files and why they tend to lag when I import them. 

For example: If I "clear home" and delete all of the .glb files in the import folder - it's fine. I can add 500 items (or close) and have no increase in RAM usage. 

As soon as I start adding items though, as soon as I open the "My imports" section - it starts gobbling up RAM and the FPS drops dramatically. Now, I'm not even importing animations, just simple STL files that were textured with .jpg and converted into .glb through 3D builder. 

What gives?

Nekto2
Superstar
WebMetalReese

If you like to create custom worlds it is better to use other social apps.
Have you seen Sansar? It's free. It is not on Oculus store, so you need to enable 3rd party apps in Rift settings.
You could create your own world while in VR. And you could use Sansar store for objects and scripts ready to use. But you could upload your own objects and textures also.

There is other apps: HighFidelity, VR chat, Hipatia, ...

WebMetalReese
Protege
@Nekto2 I want to thank you for the suggestions. It seems that HOME is not cooperating with my PC at all. I'm afraid I have to abandon ship. 
I've recently discovered a huge jump in my GPU temp when running home. Normally (its OC just a little) my temp while playing any game (beat saber, etc) usually peaks at around 60-65C which is OK to me. As soon as home starts with NOTHING in it my temps go up to 70-75-80C which IMO is just putting too much strain on the card. 

I've toyed around with fan settings and freq and such strictly for home, but it doesn't make a difference. I could try undervolting it to see if it helps, but honestly why bother? I like that people can come and check out my home and I can meet new people that way, but too much strain on my rig - totally not worth it. 

Steam Home beta doesn't even raise the temp AT ALL. it stays quiet at around 55C. 

Maybe I'll come back to it when they get it sorted, but as of right now I desperately just want to shut if off. One thing I do not like about the rift is that you can't customize it how you want. I mean, most of my games are STEAM - sorry, but I've been using that program for close to ten years with close to 800 games in my library and sorry to say Oculus store is flat out expensive. I got the same games from steam for half of what they cost in Oculus. Sure, I like to support a VR company, but you just can't beat getting ST bridge crew for 10 bucks when it's stuck on 40 in the Oculus store. 

So as of right now I'd just like to focus on STEAM and what VR they have to offer, granted it's not as luxurious as Oculus - but with the problems of lag and stutter and heating my card up, I just can't be bothered. 

I'm already sick of having both apps running at the same time, but it seems I don't have a choice - which pisses me off. I bought your hardware, why you forcing me to use your software? Maybe I should have waited a year until I could afford the Vive (though the controllers are terrible) but at least I wouldn't have such a headache. 

Could I upgrade my GPU and RAM and Processor? Sure, but why? So I could display 3D models in my home? Not worth it. 

GATOxVoS
Heroic Explorer
They're doing a lot of changes to Home 2.0, so it's bound to be buggy and not optimized. Though, trying to import objects shouldn't spike your RAM usage that high and flood your pagefile (which is I think what's happening when you reference your C: drive dropping free space).

You could try manually adjusting your pagefile to a larger size, but that doesn't really help the overall issue in the code, it might just stop some of the jittering. Though, if you're using a HDD and constantly having to check the pagefile because your pagefaulting when checking the RAM for data, that could be the issue causing the jitters, which again then makes it unsolvable on our end. 

You could also just check your RAM stability just in case; seeing as it doesn't do this with other games it shouldn't be the issue, but also seeing as Home 2.0 seems to be handling data storage/retrieval in your setup strangely, you never know (e.g. if Oculus is trying to optimize mem mapping and just didn't check your test case). 

I'd open a support ticket with Oculus if you can though as it seems your case might be indicative of a memory leak somewhere, which would be bad for all of us if it goes unchecked.

EDIT (for GPU comments):
Going to 80C on your card in Home 2.0 is pretty high, but not out of the boundaries of what's normally asked of GPU's (I assume your GPU usage is @ 100% when this is happening). Regardless of whether you continue to use Home 2.0 though you should set your fan settings to get that temp lower when the GPU under high load. 
PC Specs:
Intel i7-6700k @ 4.5 Ghz
Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3 Motherboard
RTX 2080 Ti - MSI VENTUS
16 GB CAS-10 RAM @ 2400 MHz
Startech 4-port/4-USB controller add-on card
850W Corsair HX850 PSU
4-Sensor, Roomscale Setup

WebMetalReese
Protege
@GATOxVoS Thank you very much for your input. I've just finished benchmarking my hardware using 3D/VR mark and stress tested using Time Spy. Everything checks out OK no crashes and it passed with a 97.5% (ran x3)

My ram is NOT the best...hardly since I run an AMD I should be using 3000Mhz, but I could only afford the 2400. While in home the load is around 50% of my 16GB. Everything is fine and good, the CPU barely nudges at all honestly. But the card. I have an Rx 580 and while it's not the best and brightest, it does run all games fairly well. I've cranked the fan up and adjusted the curve but it will still reach temps 80 - 83 C (I haven't hit 84 in any of my testing, but runs idle at around 40. It's only a very small OC - the frequency is up by 3 and the Memory is up by 70 from factory defaults. It does run hot, even at default, and like I said I can literally fill it with their objects and everything is OK. It's only when I import custom items. If it constantly maintained this temp throughout my experience I would be worried, but running beatsaber it stays at 60-65 along with Arizona Sunshine. (I dare not even attempt Lone Echo from what I've read)

I've checked all of my fans (10 total) and everything is about as cool as it can be. Today I spent a couple hours looking at different motherboards and RAM to see if I can improve it somehow, but everything is just out of my reach. 

Yes - you are correct in the pagefile size, but everything is being run off of an SSD. 

I'l submit a ticket sure as it obviously something on their end (I mean, I think. I've tried just about everything) 

WebMetalReese
Protege
Still not working. The moment I import items into the folder and open Oculus - open the inventory and my imports and horrible horrible lag. Is anyone else having this issue? It's literally driving me crazy. 

GATOxVoS
Heroic Explorer
have you tried isolating just a single import object (instead of a whole folder of them) to load-in and see the load on your PC (wondering if Oculus is trying to load a bunch of unnecessary data while you access that branch of the filetree; or if they're tagging a bunch of data too)?  
PC Specs:
Intel i7-6700k @ 4.5 Ghz
Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3 Motherboard
RTX 2080 Ti - MSI VENTUS
16 GB CAS-10 RAM @ 2400 MHz
Startech 4-port/4-USB controller add-on card
850W Corsair HX850 PSU
4-Sensor, Roomscale Setup

WebMetalReese
Protege
@GATOxVoS I did exactly what you suggested last night and it seems to do fairly well when there are ten items or less in the inventory. What I'm putting in there are simple 3d builder files that I've saved as. .glb most are under 1mb just converted . stl files that I colored with textures.(colors don't show up right) it has to be something with the files I believe.
Well, last night I said enough and bought a strix b450 f board and 2 new 8gb sticks running @3200 along with some artic silver and an aftermarket heatsink. I plan to oc the CPU and push the gpu a bit farther to see if it helps. (I also realized that all of my case fans run at 1000rpm which is crap, so in the coming months I will slowly replace them and then finally upgrade the CPU to a better one. 
One thing I did discover through the AMD forums is that enabling chill would help temp so I did and set the frame rate at 90 and boy, it made a huge difference of about 10c. Weird that everyone on the net says to leave it disabled. (I was actually looking at how to under clock but tried this instead). Now home runs steady at 60_65 until I start importing and no matter what speed the fans or frequency is at it spikes to 80. 
I know that 80 is not a big deal, but in the headset it gets all laggy and stutters and jitters but only in the my imports section, everything else it runs fine.
Also, quick question _ how does the auto graphic switch work? I can't seem to get it off of low. And also the performance light I'm assuming red is bad and green is good, correct?