cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Well If This Ends Up Happening I'm Jumping Ship!

Anonymous
Not applicable
https://uploadvr.com/oculus-rift-s-code-references/

The Rift S has been referenced in code somewhere apparently and is using inside-out tracking and a software IPD instead of a physical one.

Any game using 360 degree tracking will be pretty much unplayable.

I honestly don't know what Oculus are thinking, enthusiasts are going to be leaving the Oculus platform in droves. Still got to wait and see what happens at F8 but if their CV2 is basically a Quest without the mobile phone parts I'm getting myself either a Pimax or a Valve headset and will jump back to Oculus when they release the CV3. The Rift S will probably be cheap but I'm not going near it.

Dear Oculus, if you're releasing a cheap crappy headset with inside-out tracking as your CV2 then I'm not going anywhere near it. Fuck you, I'm buying a Valve/Pimax headset next gen and MIGHT go back to Oculus for the CV3 if you release something decent.

And I actually MEAN it this time! 😞
247 REPLIES 247

Techy111
MVP
MVP

Techy111 said:

3 thirds true mate........3 thirds true 😉

I have heard the next Rift will be called CV2b. Let's discuss whether it's 2b or not 2b. 

Ahhhhh 2b or not 2b, that IS the question isn't it ? I'll give you a 100 to 1 odds 🙂
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

LZoltowski
Champion

kevinw729 said:

....I would hedge a bet there are 2.5 million of them [Oculus GO] out there.

Find that very hard to consider - at best there could be 1.3m - but if there had been over 2m we would have seen news from the Chinese production operation of re-tooling and also I think that kind of news would have forced OVR management to "hint" at it to media and devs. Best we moderate expectations there  

That doesn't make sense 300k on iPhone only?, also I haven't understood a word of what you said. News from the Chinese operation of retooling, what does that mean?

I don't see a reason for FB to randomly tout numbers just yet, I would save that for the FB Dev Conference or OC

There is no denying that the GO has been a relative success and continues to sell well.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
News from the Chinese operation of retooling, what does that mean?

That market is known for retooling. Like adding a fan to your dinnerware to help cool your food:

And the face-guard for a wet splashy dish:

Re-tooling. It's what's for dinner.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

LZoltowski said:
..... I haven't understood a word of what you said. News from the Chinese operation of retooling, what does that mean?

I don't see a reason for FB to randomly tout numbers just yet, I would save that for the FB Dev Conference or OC

There is no denying that the GO has been a relative success and continues to sell well.

Okay will try and been more specific - if the GO had sold higher than was expected that would be implied by your number quoted then I am sure we would have heard from one of the sources at the Chinese fabrication factories that they had started to increase the roll out.

Its great to see GO  be a "relative success", and I think sharing the numbers with the community would encourage publishers and Indies alike to start considering the platform for development.

I look forward to your speculation of a number announcement at FB Dev Conference or OC6.
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Anonymous
Not applicable
You won't see an announcement of numbers I don't think. They haven't announced numbers for the Rift yet so I can't see them doing so for the Go.

Wise money would be on them selling over 2m now though.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
2-million really does seem to be within reason.

Just my from experience attending Oculus Venues events, I can say that the online presence from around the world is very noticeable. Especially compared to how it was with Rift multiplayer games. I encounter large groups of people that are up to 3 times greater than Rift experiences, both in volume and consistency.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

snowdog said:

Would that include the Chinese [Xiaomi] units?
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Techy111
MVP
MVP

kevinw729 said:

snowdog said:

Maybe the Chinese re-toolers could answer that one???
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Anonymous
Not applicable

kevinw729 said:

snowdog said:

Obviously not, it's a different app. Once you add in the Chinese numbers you're probably looking at more like 3m or so sold I reckon.

HiThere_
Superstar
The way I see it :
- The inside-out tracking makes the Rift setup a whole lot easier, and does work 360°, with only a minimum impact on hand tracking (meaning only a few games will be impacted,and could be easily patched).
- If you use a custom sized super long screen, instead of using a pair of smartphone screens like the CV1 did, you don't need a physical IPD slider anymore.

And in both cases it's a step forward, that wasn't used for the CV1 only because the technology didn't exist yet.