cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Performance of the Radeon VII revealed

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
There're many reviews today - but I guess it all comes down to this - based on 21 different games:

ei4og09csiig.png

Source: https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Radeon_VII/

So basically too little too late - and too power consuming.

Although it differs a lot from game to game, on average it seems Radeon VII equals the 1080 Ti. 

More info:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-vii-vega-20-7nm,5977-3.html

https://techreport.com/review/34453/amd-radeon-vii-graphics-card-reviewed

Anandtech didn't include the 2080 Ti, which is very strange, so I did not like Anandtech's review - maybe he was just trying to be nice to AMD...

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

7 REPLIES 7

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
"We imagine the Radeon VII might be the right card for some people. Perhaps your day-to-day work eats VRAM like there's no tomorrow, and you only care about gaming on the side. Maybe you don't care in the least about what you've seen of hybrid rendering with real-time ray tracing, and you passed up the GTX 1080 Ti at its zenith. Maybe you just can't bear the thought of putting one red cent in Jensen Huang's jacket fund. If any or all of those things describe you, the Radeon VII is as good as it gets for an alternative choice in high-end graphics right now. We just wish it was a smoother, quieter, and cheaper one."

https://techreport.com/review/34453/amd-radeon-vii-graphics-card-reviewed

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm a bit pissed off with AMD about this card, but not surprised. They had an opportunity to release a 2080Ti killer at a sensible price and decided not to. The Red Team have done nothing but disappoint for YEARS now unfortunately. 😞

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

snowdog said:

I'm a bit pissed off with AMD about this card, but not surprised. They had an opportunity to release a 2080Ti killer at a sensible price and decided not to. The Red Team have done nothing but disappoint for YEARS now unfortunately. 😞

It's such a fun card - it has the power to make you happy  😄

- and sad  :s

pyroth309
Visionary
Well it's nice of AMD to finally catch up to a 2 year old card (1080 TI). 

AMD/ATI has been letting me down since the 6990 I think it was about 8 or 9 years ago, though the R9 Fury had a late bloom once drivers got sorted and has had some strong legs to it. The initial release was a disappointment though for me.

At this point, Nvidia is firmly in the driver's seat and will just stretch their releases to milk more sales.

GATOxVoS
Heroic Explorer
AMD is shrinking it's chip process, but still managing to use larger amounts of power while not seeing performance gains in excess of what we'd expect from them just re-releasing their last generation with more stream processors? I'm no hardware expert by any means, but I don't think this bodes well for when nVidia releases their next chip. 

AMD really needs to stick to their niche: making affordable cards. If their latest and best card has to be compared to nVidia's last generation while nVidia is readying for their next big jump, AMD is going to have a bad time.

Sounds like their new 7-nm chip process is really going to be good for servers and workstations though. Hopefully the Radeon VII is just AMD testing the waters for their 7-nm GPU, and that they'll hit us with an upgraded version soon. 
PC Specs:
Intel i7-6700k @ 4.5 Ghz
Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3 Motherboard
RTX 2080 Ti - MSI VENTUS
16 GB CAS-10 RAM @ 2400 MHz
Startech 4-port/4-USB controller add-on card
850W Corsair HX850 PSU
4-Sensor, Roomscale Setup

pyroth309
Visionary
Yea It's strange all around to me. It's like they built this generation of cards for Tech that hasn't happened yet but even came up a little short with that.

For example, with the tech in the Vega 64...between the infinity fabric, to the new geometry engine, to the improvements in memory bandwidth/usage and high band width cache which can let you use system memory for loading textures...it should have murdered the 1080 and been at a better price point. Instead it's hotter, uses more power, and it's slower in anything but DX12 at 1080. At 4k though it's neck and neck. I guess they banked on DX12 being dominant by now when they initially did the design.

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Wow....it looks so.........cheap ??? 700 quid at scan in the UK if anyone is silly.......if anyone desires one now?
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.