cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Official Films Thread

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well bollocks, we've got a telly thread so I thought I'd create one for films too.

I'm currently working my way through Movies With A Twist Collection 3 which I downloaded years ago from TPB. All of those torrents are now dead which is a shame because I didn't get around to downloading Collection 4. I'm downloading all of those separately which is a hassle but will be worth it in the end going by 1-3 so far.

Am in the middle of watching Law Abiding Citizen, I think I've seen it before but i was so long ago I've forgotten what happens.

The problem with watching these films knowing that there's a twist makes it easy to work out what the twist in question is so probably better if you watch them without that knowledge lol

Here's a list of some of my all-time favourite films of all-time in no particular order:

Brazil
The Life Of Brian
The Holy Grail
The Meaning Of Life
Star Wars
The Empire Strikes Back
Lifeforce (a terrible film but the female lead vampire spends most of it naked lol)
All Lethal Weapons
All Die Hards
Every Dirty Harry Film
The Jungle Book (the Disney original)
Pi
Falling Down (just for the McDonalds scene lmfao)
Silent Running
Logan's Run
All 60s-70s Planet Of The Apes
Soylent Green

Am going to stop there otherwise this post is going to be HUGE lol

583 REPLIES 583

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Brixmis said:

We've just put our 3D TV up for sale. I'd really like to hang on to it (I paid for it!) but as we have a brand new TV (she paid for that) I have had my orders. Thankfully, she wants far too much for it, so I'm quite sure it will never sell! 😛

It's in my hobby room, all set up and ready for watching 3D vids and films, as I build my model kits 🙂
One of my colleagues was a very early adopter of 4K TV and movies. During the first weeks he felt he could see a difference between full HD and 4K/UHD, but for years he's told me he can no longer see any difference between full HD and 4K movies. He's sitting 4 feet from a 65" TV. A study in Norway also found that people couldn't see the difference between 4K and full HD movies in a blinded experiment where they had to identify the same movie shown as full HD, 4K or upscaled to 4K (3 identical 4K TVs were used) - most chose the blu-ray version for the best image quality, quite interesting 🙂

What I love about 3D is not only that everyone can see the change from 2D - and you don't even have to look hard for it. But also you get two separate images - one for the left eye and one for the right eye - but your brain delivers just one image to your consciousness based on these images. So 3D doesn't feel like 2 x 1920 x1080, but often feels even better than 4K - because due to my brain mixing two images to make one I don't see individual pixels in 3D, image quality looks like photos - or like watching a movie in a cinema. And on top of that we get depth and - if the producer is nice - some pop-out effects.  

My plasma TV has lower response time even than OLED, I rarely see any ghosting, I'll be in tears if it ever fails me 😉 It also has "Cinema Smooth" in 3D - I'm convinced it works like 72 Hz x 2 (144 Hz repeating each of the 24 frames 3 times for each eye, like 24 x 3 = 72 = reducing flicker in 3D) instead of the usual 60 Hz x 2 (repeating some of the 24 frames 3 times and some only 2 times - to fit 60 Hz). I once read in an article that 3D in the Cinema usually is 144 Hz too (3 x 24 fps per eye). 

BTW, Journey 2 has some great pop-out effects too. There's a giant mosquito hovering above a lake after something like 53 minutes, and I often use that scene to show off 3D pop-out effects - the mosquito totally comes out of the screen, but you have to pause to movie to really see it, it happens so fast that otherwise few will notice it.

https://youtu.be/qqkMM6EJnaY

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Just saw this one in Blu-ray 3D with my 10 (soon 11) year old son - it's 6.4 on IMDB. I'd probably rate it 7/10 and my son would probably rate it 8/10. I've never been the biggest fan of Jurassic Park/World, I don't think Fallen Kingdom was worse than the previous movies in the series. Actually Fallen Kingdom has a lot of truly awesome scenes - 3D wasn't exploited a lot, more to created depth and great image quality. I did enjoy the casting too - Chris Pratt and Bryce Dallas Howard may not win Oscars, but delivered nice performances as usual. 

https://youtu.be/vn9mMeWcgoM

This evening it's time for Ant-man and the Wasp 3D - it's quite stressful having to watch so many movies during the Christmas holidays! Nearly got no time for VR 😄

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

Digikid1
Consultant

RuneSR2 said:

it's quite stressful having to watch so many movies during the Christmas holidays! Nearly got no time for VR 😄

You get your priorities straight mister! 😄

Digikid1
Consultant
Just watched Venom on iTunes. Great movie. Lots of funny humor. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oprHtqrfn0Q&feature=youtu.be

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
BTW, my son corrected me - Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom wasn't 8/10 - it's 10/10! So now you know  B)

Ant-man and the Wasp was kinda boring, although all actors delivered solid performances - 3D effects were nice, but the movie never really got to me. It's 7.2 on IMDB, so many may disagree with me... Like Black Panther (which I liked slightly better), Ant-man & Wasp was like a stand-alone movie, not really connected to the rest of the Marvel cinematic universe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_rTIAOohas

And when you shrink something, why would the weight go down? Can they shrink atoms? - I easily get headaches trying to figure that out - because as you can see in the movie, when things shrink, they lose weight. The rest of the Marvel universe I don't have a problem with, everything is perfectly realistic  😄  

Looking forward to Venom 3D 😉

Phaserlight
Heroic Explorer

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
I've always been fond of the song:

https://youtu.be/UdE9h9R8iZA

So I just went ahead and bought the movie  o:) - looking forward to see it  ❤️  B)

Image result for mandy movie poster

Image result for mandy blu-ray box

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I've seen this film and it's rather bizarre. This has to be the first movie that had me thinking is this a shite film or is it quite good. I still don't know the answer, so it will be interesting to know what @RuneSR2 thinks about it. I would usually turn a movie off it's it's crap, but I did watch this movie right the way through. 

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RedRizla said:

I've seen this film and it's rather bizarre. This has to be the first movie that had me thinking is this a shite film or is it quite good. I still don't know the answer, so it will be interesting to know what @RuneSR2 thinks about it. Usually I would turn a movie off it's it's crap, but I did watch this movie right the way through. 

I had some bonus points I needed to spend in a movie shop - and I couldn't find a lot of interesting movies - and like you said, I read this review on IMDB:

User Reviews

Either you'll love it or hate it!
jimdan196216 September 2018
FYI, I'm 56 and very jaded and cynical when it comes to movies so this review is as honest as I can get.

Seriously, I see 10's and 1's, most people seemed to either love it or hate it. I loved it, but I really wanted to hate it but I couldn't. It's exactly the type of movie I normally dislike and Cage has been a bit of a has been for a while now which doesn't help matters, but still, I loved it! I even read a bunch of the bad reviews and thought that based on those, I wouldn't like it, but nope, I still loved it!

The music I actually loved for the most part (it's very loud and in your face, not subtle at all) , the colors and cinematography in general were just great, just beautiful, and great actors to boot. As most people pointed out the first 30 minutes are a bit bizarre and trippy but for some reason I loved it and didn't have a problem with it. Please keep in mind the whole movie is a bit bizarre and trippy for the most part. Nicolas did a great job as did Andrea and Linus Roche was just plain great in it! The supporting actors did a fine job as well Not really sure what else to say, I don't feel the need to break it down.

If you're thinking about checking it out, give it a try, there's a 50/50 chance you'll actually like it.

It may all boil down to this...

Image result for half full or half empty

Maybe I should consider this movie the worst garbage, then I can't be anything but positively surprised when watching it  😄 The movie should be in the mail tomorrow - I'll let you know what I think. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Avalon is fantastic, one of my favourite films!