cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Well If This Ends Up Happening I'm Jumping Ship!

Anonymous
Not applicable
https://uploadvr.com/oculus-rift-s-code-references/

The Rift S has been referenced in code somewhere apparently and is using inside-out tracking and a software IPD instead of a physical one.

Any game using 360 degree tracking will be pretty much unplayable.

I honestly don't know what Oculus are thinking, enthusiasts are going to be leaving the Oculus platform in droves. Still got to wait and see what happens at F8 but if their CV2 is basically a Quest without the mobile phone parts I'm getting myself either a Pimax or a Valve headset and will jump back to Oculus when they release the CV3. The Rift S will probably be cheap but I'm not going near it.

Dear Oculus, if you're releasing a cheap crappy headset with inside-out tracking as your CV2 then I'm not going anywhere near it. Fuck you, I'm buying a Valve/Pimax headset next gen and MIGHT go back to Oculus for the CV3 if you release something decent.

And I actually MEAN it this time! 😞
247 REPLIES 247

Anonymous
Not applicable

Or who knows maybe the same way you buy a 3rd or 4th sensor for the current Rift to add to its tracking quality/versatility maybe a future S-like model (if the upcoming one doesn't have any infrared reflective points for sensors to track) will support doing the same thing, buying (or digging up for your by then old Rift sensors) a couple external sensors for the front and back for additional accuracy and versatility, even if the out of the box experience relies on inside out tracking alone, who knows.

I can pretty much assume that if they go with inside out tracking - outside in tracking camera are going to be remove along with ir lights for the headset. That extra money and design will be used to replace the cameras instead. Even though the electronics dont cost much to make the IR lights - its the cost of labor to put them there in the first place that does.

What would be neat is if they could add the same cameras to the controllers instead - then you get full 360 and the headset would only need to track it self instead of things whizzing by. Have it wireless send its data back to the headset and boom you have the perfect system I feel. The only down side is they would need a bigger battery for sure - so there would be more weight to the controllers, but might be worth the trade off just for the simple setup + full 360 tracking. That be a game changer right there. Let alone - on the go VR for the most part. Granted - much like anything - itll take another release before we see it on Quest for example, but that be a future upgrade people would be excited for.

Alextended
Expert Protege
Yeah that's another idea I've considered too but there's probably a reason no company has done it yet, though they could be researching it and maybe will be able to do it in the future, who knows.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah that's another idea I've considered too but there's probably a reason no company has done it yet, though they could be researching it and maybe will be able to do it in the future, who knows.

Right now its new enough of an idea that is the reason why no one has done it yet. I mean Quest is such a big deal because it comes with 4 cameras instead of 2. More of a time issue than it is a can we do it or not issue.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

DaftnDirect said:
It doesn't have to be perfect but provided it's good, it'll tell us if the public is really as ready for VR as we think they are.

Yes, I hear a lot of the faithful quoting that point. "It don't have to be perfect" - I was seeing this as a code phrase for,"its less powerful than we hoped for!" Speaking with those that are working on the system I hear lots of this, managing expectations (hopefully not too much!) For the VR community, I wonder if those that double down on day one will have a code that of the 50-release-titles, if they already own some that they don't have to buy again?

Quest has to be about enticing those that previous management promised were waiting in the wings to buy into VR, rather than selling to the VR community!
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

snowdog said:

RedRizla said:

snowdog said:

Well I've calmed down a little now lol 

I guess we'll have to wait and see what the 360 tracking is like before I pass judgement.

But if it doesn't have a better FOV than the current Rift I'm still going to look elsewhere I think, either a Pimax or a Valve headset. I'm hoping that @Shadowmask72's Pimax headset is going to be decent otherwise I'll probably have to do the unthinkable and give Valve some of my money. And that thought HORRIFIES me 😮

Just don't come back here saying how great Valve is if you do decide to jump ship 😄

Vive pro with wireless is a very good headset.  Their inability to release anything better than their pathetic wands makes it meaningless to someone who has used the Touch controllers though.

It WOULD be a very good headset if they had a) been bothered to change the crappy lenses and b) you didn't need to take out a second mortgage to buy one.

A headset that costs over a grand to buy SHOULDN'T need you to mod with GearVR lenses.

It's a bit of a shite headset if you REALLY start to think about it.

Nope, it's just a very good headset.

Price is irrelevant to how good a headset is, it is only a barrier to whether we can have it or not.  It's still a very good headset even if it is sitting on the shelf at the store.
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

bigmike20vt
Visionary
Given how old the Snapdragon 845 is now I can't help but wonder how much more it would have cost to use that. It is apparently a drop in replacement to the same circuit board design as the 835 (so I am told) has little more energy requirements and very slight more heat production ... So the only real difference between the 2 (according to a friend of mine in the business)  is performance as well as cost.
IF we are talking an extra $75 on the price of the hmd I get it.... If it's an extra $25 for instance I really don't. 
I am not saying it won't have good titles.... But for a technical pov it will be launching with hardware which is very old hat (2 years+ old)
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

I'm incredibly confident the Quest will sell in droves.  Perfect price point, a load of software available and the form-factor (pretty much a Rift + Touch) is spot on, tried and tested.  It needs good coverage from the outset though.
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Hiro_Protag0nist said:
Price is irrelevant to how good a headset is, it is only a barrier to whether we can have it or not.  It's still a very good headset even if it is sitting on the shelf at the store.

Agreed. Price has no bearing on quality whatsoever. Driving a racecar feels great whether you can afford it or not! snowdog needs to understand this already. He's a good bloke but omg he's been equating price with experience for too long now. Level up, buddy! lol

I'm incredibly confident the Quest will sell in droves.  Perfect price point, a load of software available and the form-factor (pretty much a Rift + Touch) is spot on, tried and tested.  It needs good coverage from the outset though.

No doubt Quest will do well. Even GO sold much better than expected.  I look forward to owning Quest, and of course I'll be purchasing the new version of Rift - regardless if it is a "CV2" or a complete shift in Product Design.

I will say that when it comes to tracking, I do have some concern about having our hands behind our heads and back of the body. There are quite a few scenarios where having your hands for behind you can happen. And no, not just with carebear archery games lol

First, in games like the Echo series (Lone/Arena/Combat) where you can be looking forward but your hand is holding on to something behind you as you wait to "push off." Also, boxing games like Creed! Hands are a flying and launching a punch where you fist is slightly behind your head is common place.

Now, with Quest this may not be so much of an issue since it is Stand-Alone VR. However, the next version of the Rift should (hopefully) have at least one extra camera on the back of the headset to help account for all of this.

In the end though, I have no doubt that Oculus will delivery - as they always have. And the naysayers who predicted their demise will just develop amnesia and move on to their next bad predictions.

kevinw729 said:

DaftnDirect said:
It doesn't have to be perfect but provided it's good, it'll tell us if the public is really as ready for VR as we think they are.

Yes, I hear a lot of the faithful quoting that point. "It don't have to be perfect" - I was seeing this as a code phrase for,"its less powerful than we hoped for!" Speaking with those that are working on the system I hear lots of this, managing expectations (hopefully not too much!) For the VR community, I wonder if those that double down on day one will have a code that of the 50-release-titles, if they already own some that they don't have to buy again?

Quest has to be about enticing those that previous management promised were waiting in the wings to buy into VR, rather than selling to the VR community!

I'm not sure what code phrases people use but I'll try to be clear with my interpretation...
It doesn't have to be perfect, means it doesn't have to have 360 deg hand tracking, it doesn't have to have 5 hours battery life, it doesn't have to have more than, say, 110 deg FOV, it doesn't have to do mixed reality even though there were some indications that it was a possibility.

I could probably list a lot more things that it doesn't have to be. But I'm definitely not saying anything about less power than we hoped. Different people have different hopes and even though we know what processing power it'll have, there will still be some people who expect too much.

But it's a standalone with a limit on price. It is what it is. And I'm sure the vast majority of the public will judge it fairly.... and get a shed load of fun out of it.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

I'm not sure what code phrases people use but I'll try to be clear with my interpretation...
It doesn't have to be perfect

All versions of VR deal with "it doesn't have to be perfect" acceptance:
  1. HTC Vive Pro has better visuals on the market, but still uses bulky Wands (inferior hand controllers).
  2. WMR has better controllers than the Vive and cheaper entry level price for PCVR, but tracking is worse than Rift/Vive.
  3. Rift has the best controllers but God Rays and Screen Door are worse than WMR and Vive.
  4. Mobile VR is affordable, but lesser quality immersion and 360.
  5. Console VR has great exclusives (e.g. Resident Evil) but is inferior to 360 room-scale, and has inferior hand controllers (glowsticks).
  6. Location-based VR (e.g. arcades, theme parks) either have the bottom end of VR (Mobile VR headsets) or low-end experiences (cookie-cutter custom games) or deal with hardware/software issues (e.g. The Void has tracking problems, such as "bending" of assets and "accuracy"). The best versions of location-based VR is when they mimic Home-based PCVR (e.g. setting up Rifts/Vives to play Beat Saber). But this entails "not perfect" scenarios described above.

As of 2019, there is no "perfect" VR experience to be had by anyone. Everyone makes a compromise, and everyone makes an excuse/sacrifice for their VR of choice.
🙂