cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Well If This Ends Up Happening I'm Jumping Ship!

Anonymous
Not applicable
https://uploadvr.com/oculus-rift-s-code-references/

The Rift S has been referenced in code somewhere apparently and is using inside-out tracking and a software IPD instead of a physical one.

Any game using 360 degree tracking will be pretty much unplayable.

I honestly don't know what Oculus are thinking, enthusiasts are going to be leaving the Oculus platform in droves. Still got to wait and see what happens at F8 but if their CV2 is basically a Quest without the mobile phone parts I'm getting myself either a Pimax or a Valve headset and will jump back to Oculus when they release the CV3. The Rift S will probably be cheap but I'm not going near it.

Dear Oculus, if you're releasing a cheap crappy headset with inside-out tracking as your CV2 then I'm not going anywhere near it. Fuck you, I'm buying a Valve/Pimax headset next gen and MIGHT go back to Oculus for the CV3 if you release something decent.

And I actually MEAN it this time! 😞
247 REPLIES 247

Anonymous
Not applicable

snowdog said:

RedRizla said:

snowdog said:

Well I've calmed down a little now lol 

I guess we'll have to wait and see what the 360 tracking is like before I pass judgement.

But if it doesn't have a better FOV than the current Rift I'm still going to look elsewhere I think, either a Pimax or a Valve headset. I'm hoping that @Shadowmask72's Pimax headset is going to be decent otherwise I'll probably have to do the unthinkable and give Valve some of my money. And that thought HORRIFIES me 😮

Just don't come back here saying how great Valve is if you do decide to jump ship 😄

Vive pro with wireless is a very good headset.  Their inability to release anything better than their pathetic wands makes it meaningless to someone who has used the Touch controllers though.

It WOULD be a very good headset if they had a) been bothered to change the crappy lenses and b) you didn't need to take out a second mortgage to buy one.

A headset that costs over a grand to buy SHOULDN'T need you to mod with GearVR lenses.

It's a bit of a shite headset if you REALLY start to think about it.

Nope, it's just a very good headset.

Price is irrelevant to how good a headset is, it is only a barrier to whether we can have it or not.  It's still a very good headset even if it is sitting on the shelf at the store.

If it was a very good headset you wouldn't need to get a GearVR, take the lenses out of it, take the lenses out of your Vive Pro and bung the GearVR lenses in the bloody thing. It WOULD have been a very good headset if they hadn't cut costs by using the same crappy lenses that the Vive has.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

snowdog said:
If it was a very good headset you wouldn't need to get a GearVR, take the lenses out of it, take the lenses out of your Vive Pro and bung the GearVR lenses in the bloody thing. It WOULD have been a very good headset if they hadn't cut costs by using the same crappy lenses that the Vive has.

That doesn't make any sense. You don't "need" to Mod it. People just recommend it because it's possible and has some benefits. The Oculus GO is a "very good headset" yet it can be modded to use hand controllers and 6dof. You don't need to, but you can choose it. Whether you do or not, it is still a very good Mobile VR headset based on what is currently available on the MobileVR Market.

There is no logical correlation with "very good" and "you don't need to Mod it." Do you have any luxury vehicle dealers where you live? Go check out a "very good" vehicle and then ask them what "custom modifications" are available. lol

I mean wtf... SkyrimVR is very good but it is highly recommended that people Mod the hell out if, right?

When you swamp out the lenses in the Vive Pro it goes from being a "very good headset" to "an even better headset."

Lastly, there is such a thing as "patents" and "intellectual property" laws in the world, so it's not like Valve or HTC could have just copied GearVR's lenses! Think, bro!

Zenbane said:

All versions of VR deal with "it doesn't have to be perfect" acceptance:
  1. HTC Vive Pro has better visuals on the market, but still uses bulky Wands (inferior hand controllers).
  2. WMR has better controllers than the Vive and cheaper entry level price for PCVR, but tracking is worse than Rift/Vive.
  3. Rift has the best controllers but God Rays and Screen Door are worse than WMR and Vive.
  4. Mobile VR is affordable, but lesser quality immersion and 360.
  5. Console VR has great exclusives (e.g. Resident Evil) but is inferior to 360 room-scale, and has inferior hand controllers (glowsticks).
  6. Location-based VR (e.g. arcades, theme parks) either have the bottom end of VR (Mobile VR headsets) or low-end experiences (cookie-cutter custom games) or deal with hardware/software issues (e.g. The Void has tracking problems, such as "bending" of assets and "accuracy"). The best versions of location-based VR is when they mimic Home-based PCVR (e.g. setting up Rifts/Vives to play Beat Saber). But this entails "not perfect" scenarios described above.

As of 2019, there is no "perfect" VR experience to be had by anyone. Everyone makes a compromise, and everyone makes an excuse/sacrifice for their VR of choice.
🙂

Very true.

All aspects of personal relationships too. The best relationships happen when we understand each others limits, enjoy each others talents and strengths and each others imperfections.

Here endeth the lesson.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

All aspects of personal relationships too. The best relationships happen when we understand each others limits, enjoy each others talents and strengths and each others imperfections.

Well said, sir! That deserves a cat meme,

Zenbane said:

All versions of VR deal with "it doesn't have to be perfect" acceptance:
  1. HTC Vive Pro has better visuals on the market, but still uses bulky Wands (inferior hand controllers).
  2. WMR has better controllers than the Vive and cheaper entry level price for PCVR, but tracking is worse than Rift/Vive.
  3. Rift has the best controllers but God Rays and Screen Door are worse than WMR and Vive.
  4. Mobile VR is affordable, but lesser quality immersion and 360.
  5. Console VR has great exclusives (e.g. Resident Evil) but is inferior to 360 room-scale, and has inferior hand controllers (glowsticks).
  6. Location-based VR (e.g. arcades, theme parks) either have the bottom end of VR (Mobile VR headsets) or low-end experiences (cookie-cutter custom games) or deal with hardware/software issues (e.g. The Void has tracking problems, such as "bending" of assets and "accuracy"). The best versions of location-based VR is when they mimic Home-based PCVR (e.g. setting up Rifts/Vives to play Beat Saber). But this entails "not perfect" scenarios described above.

As of 2019, there is no "perfect" VR experience to be had by anyone. Everyone makes a compromise, and everyone makes an excuse/sacrifice for their VR of choice.
🙂

Very true.

Here endeth the lesson.

Flippin heck, he's getting all 50 Shades of Grey on us   😄
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

that's cos I'm sober... you just haven't seen me like that before

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
btw,

I haven't made my public review yet, but I did recently try the Vive Pro on a VR Arcade attraction. While the attraction was incredibly lackluster, the Vive Pro's visual improvements over the Rift were instantly noticeable. I still prefer my Rift CV1 (comfort and sleekness are better than the Vive Pro), but there's no denying the overall image quality improvement that the Vive Pro maintains.

It is a very good headset without needing to Mod the lenses.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Does anyone know what the battery life is on the Oculus Quest yet? I get that Oculus Go is a 2 hour battery life because it's geared more towards media. But if Quest is going to be used for gaming, I'm hoping for about 3 hours from the battery. It's a shame it won't have a battery that you can swap out while one is charging.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

RedRizla said:

Does anyone know what the battery life is on the Oculus Quest yet? I get that Oculus Go is a 2 hour battery life because it geared more towards media. But if Quest is going to be used for gaming, I'm hoping for about 3 hours from the battery. It's a shame it won't have a battery that you can swap out while one is charging.

As of January, the battery life is still a Mystery:

With GO, Facebook-Oculus was "experimenting" and didn't expect it to sell so well (see Carmack's presentation at OC5). They were intentionally testing the waters in the industry, and a damn tidal wave slapped 'em across the face.

With Quest though, they have no excuses. So they best get that battery life shenanigans in order! If someone wants to binge through all 3 Vader Immortal episodes in one sitting, then that best be possible.

Granted, Quest is being demo'd for "sport game" events. So we can all confidently anticipate a long battery life to accommodate large arena sized VR sporting events. I would estimate at least 4-6 hours on the low end.

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Oculus has said it is in line with the (batt life) Go headset, meaning that it should be around 2 or 3 hours. Charging is via USB-C

https://www.pocket-lint.com/ar-vr/reviews/oculus-rift/146720-oculus-quest-review

Who knows LOL
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.