cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Well If This Ends Up Happening I'm Jumping Ship!

Anonymous
Not applicable
https://uploadvr.com/oculus-rift-s-code-references/

The Rift S has been referenced in code somewhere apparently and is using inside-out tracking and a software IPD instead of a physical one.

Any game using 360 degree tracking will be pretty much unplayable.

I honestly don't know what Oculus are thinking, enthusiasts are going to be leaving the Oculus platform in droves. Still got to wait and see what happens at F8 but if their CV2 is basically a Quest without the mobile phone parts I'm getting myself either a Pimax or a Valve headset and will jump back to Oculus when they release the CV3. The Rift S will probably be cheap but I'm not going near it.

Dear Oculus, if you're releasing a cheap crappy headset with inside-out tracking as your CV2 then I'm not going anywhere near it. Fuck you, I'm buying a Valve/Pimax headset next gen and MIGHT go back to Oculus for the CV3 if you release something decent.

And I actually MEAN it this time! 😞
247 REPLIES 247

pyroth309
Visionary

Zenbane said:

btw,

I haven't made my public review yet, but I did recently try the Vive Pro on a VR Arcade attraction. While the attraction was incredibly lackluster, the Vive Pro's visual improvements over the Rift were instantly noticeable. I still prefer my Rift CV1 (comfort and sleekness are better than the Vive Pro), but there's no denying the overall image quality improvement that the Vive Pro maintains.

It is a very good headset without needing to Mod the lenses.

The Vive Pro would have been an amazing offering if they had set the price point to something reasonable. 800 or so for the bundle would have been a good enough upgrade to make most fence sitters jump on it. But at 1400 for the bundle (Still lol) for the small upgrade it is over Rift....Just no lol.

The Odyssey+ image is also better to me in games where it works well (especially in movies), but the Rift is just overall better when you factor in everything it gives you at that price point.

I don't mind spending 1400 on a headset if I feel like what I'm getting is worth the premium. The Vive Pro always felt like a rip off to me which Is why I never sprung for it. But I know it's not meant to be a consumer headset..it just should have been. 

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
The 1400 price tag doesn't bother as much as all the other stuff surrounding the HTC Vive Pro:
  • Integrated Audio isn't as refined
  • HMD Comfort is arse
  • Wands and a Trackpad are a damn joke
  • HTC is in a constant state of financial ruin
But yeah, those lenses are tight tho!

pyroth309
Visionary

Zenbane said:

The 1400 price tag doesn't bother as much as all the other stuff surrounding the HTC Vive Pro:
  • Integrated Audio isn't as refined
  • HMD Comfort is arse
  • Wands and a Trackpad are a damn joke
  • HTC is in a constant state of financial ruin
But yeah, those lenses are tight tho!

The trackpads are something I laugh about everytime I use my Odyssey+. I literally say to myself every time, How can anyone prefer this over an analog stick lol. (Odyssey at least has sticks too) I mean the mouse like input from dragging your finger across it is ok but it's like a bad trackpad and kind of finicky. Though, it does serve as a Dpad to give you 4 buttons which is nice as sticks only give you the one on press down.

I couldn't agree more on HTC and their tech support being a cause for concern but that also factors in to the 1400 price point for me. Higher risk there.

One thing I've learned with the O+ is that the shape of your head seems to matters a lot with comfort. O+ fits my head great and it's really comfortable to me in long sessions (it does leave a bad red mark on my forehead but doesn't actually hurt me) but a lot of my friends can't even use it without pain or they can't get into the sweet spot and have audio lol. Likewise, I've seen people who praise the comfort of the Vive Pro and others who say it's too bulky and clunky for them. Just one of those things I guess and is where the flexible Ski Mask design of the Rift is really good. Once you replace the stock pads for some aftermarket faceplates/covers, it's fantastic. I have a PSVR and I still prefer the Rift to that design as well because it feels more fixed on me without moving. PSVR is better if more than one person is using it though as constantly adjusting the Rift straps is annoying.

MariusPolonius
Heroic Explorer
I don't understand the big hoopla about inside out tracking. I own now Odyssey+ (which is a total piece of shit btw) but I have to say I use it more often that Rift, JUST because of the inside out tracking and ability of playing wherever I please, unlike Rift, where I have to be in my designated area (which is not at the PC).
If they can improve the tracking by adding extra cameras, especially in the back, it will be waaaay better than any wacky wired system that's currently in use. I'm "sorry" to say but inside out tracking is the future. And the next iteration of  PSVR will only reinforce that.

Anonymous
Not applicable

gr0bda said:

I don't understand the big hoopla about inside out tracking. I own now Odyssey+ (which is a total piece of shit btw) but I have to say I use it more often that Rift, JUST because of the inside out tracking and ability of playing wherever I please, unlike Rift, where I have to be in my designated area (which is not at the PC).
If they can improve the tracking by adding extra cameras, especially in the back, it will be waaaay better than any wacky wired system that's currently in use. I'm "sorry" to say but inside out tracking is the future. And the next iteration of  PSVR will only reinforce that.

The problem is that it doesn't provide 360 degree tracking which causes problems playing certain games - any game where you need to reach behind you such as Echo, any game which has your hands to close to the headset such as archery games and any game that involves firing from the hip, firing in multiple directions or involves grabbing something like ammo etc without looking at it will have tracking issues.

And tracking issues instantly kill immersion.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

snowdog said:
The problem is that it doesn't provide 360 degree tracking which causes problems playing certain games - any game where you need to reach behind you such as Echo, any game which has your hands to close to the headset such as archery games and any game that involves firing from the hip, firing in multiple directions or involves grabbing something like ammo etc without looking at it will have tracking issues.

I've made this same argument against WMR, but everyone who owns a WMR headset swears that it isn't a problem. And Quest tracking covers a wider range than WMR. Over time I've accepted that my arguments are based only on how I "think" this should all work compared to how it actually works based on first-hand experiences. But you are still arguing based solely on theory without leaving room for first-hand experience.

Regardless, neither of us has any idea if the Rift will add additional cameras. There is nothing about these rumors that suggest Facebook-Oculus won't add at least one camera in the rear of the Rift-S. And if we end up finding out that the Rift-S will in fact have an additional camera to ensure flawless 360 tracking... then this entire 5-Page thread was pretty much pointless! lol

Wildt
Consultant
If we can get a pro level Echo, Quivr, Eleven Table tennis and Onward player to state that their experience with upcoming inside out is on par with current outside in solutions - I wouldn't worry.

But I'm not fucking going backwards on tracking precision after 3 years.
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

Anonymous
Not applicable

Zenbane said:

snowdog said:

I've made this same argument against WMR, but everyone who owns a WMR headset swears that it isn't a problem. And Quest tracking covers a wider range than WMR. Over time I've accepted that my arguments are based only on how I "think" this should all work compared to how it actually works based on first-hand experiences. But you are still arguing based solely on theory without leaving room for first-hand experience.

Regardless, neither of us has any idea if the Rift will add additional cameras. There is nothing about these rumors that suggest Facebook-Oculus won't add at least one camera in the rear of the Rift-S. And if we end up finding out that the Rift-S will in fact have an additional camera to ensure flawless 360 tracking... then this entire 5-Page thread was pretty much pointless! lol

Not everyone, there are plenty of people on Reddit complaining about it quite regularly.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

snowdog said:
Not everyone, there are plenty of people on Reddit complaining about it quite regularly.

No doubt. I wouldn't bet on WMR tracking anyway. As we've seen, Quest will cover a wider area than WMR. But this isn't even Quest we're talking about, it's Rift. And as I said, there's nothing in the rumor that states a lack of 360. I'm still not sure why you automatically assume that they wouldn't add one or more cameras on to the Rift-S HMD.

Wildt said:

If we can get a pro level Echo, Quivr, Eleven Table tennis and Onward player to state that their experience with upcoming inside out is on par with current outside in solutions - I wouldn't worry.

But I'm not fucking going backwards on tracking precision after 3 years.

Agreed. I don't wanna go backwards on tracking either. I just don't want to act dramatic and make assumptions. The current rumor that this thread is based on only states that Inside-Out tracking may be the main tracking for the Rift-S. The rumor does not state that the tracking will be identical to Quest. Nor does the rumor state that our existing Oculus external sensors won't be supported.

ShocksVR
Superstar

Zenbane said:

No doubt. I wouldn't bet on WMR tracking anyway. As we've seen, Quest will cover a wider area than WMR. But this isn't even Quest we're talking about, it's Rift. And as I said, there's nothing in the rumor that states a lack of 360. I'm still not sure why you automatically assume that they wouldn't add one or more cameras on to the Rift-S HMD.

Ya, that's what kind irritates me.
If it's Valve, HTC, Pimax, people expect the best and give them the benefit of the doubt.
If it's Oculus, people expect the worse and think they can;t do anything right.
I just don't get it.
i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), QuestPro, Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S