New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

DiRT Rally 2.0 coming to the Rift summer 2019!

RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 1,518 Valuable Player
edited February 9 in Games and Apps
No, I did not just make that up  ;)

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/aogxw1/codemasters_listened_vr_coming_to_dirt_rally_20/

That was the easy part - Subnautica Below Zero is the tough one  :D
Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"

Comments

• AlextendedAlextended Posts: 49
    Brain Burst
    edited February 8
    Exclusives sometimes suck but they weren't gonna add VR at all so it seems Oculus chipped in for this to happen (or happen somewhat early and happen for sure vs a nebulous maybe), I can't be mad at that (or be mad the games Oculus funds from scratch), especially when Revive and such stuff make the software playable on other platforms as well anyway. It would still be nice if Oculus opened their store/compatibility to other platforms officially though, then they can earn money from other HMD users too, I think it will be to their benefit and won't make their hardware products less appealing, if anything more Vive users could switch over after experiencing the games and wanting them to have more natural Touch controls and such. Maybe they're waiting to see when knuckles-like stuff are out so they can then put out Touch 2 later and have it be the better controller again.
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 5,845 Valuable Player
    Dear Codemasters, please feel free to write 'Return To Sender' on the turd in a box I posted to you recently. Thanks. :blush: :D

Exclusives sometimes suck but they weren't gonna add VR at all so it seems Oculus chipped in for this to happen (or happen somewhat early and happen for sure vs a nebulous maybe), I can't be mad at that (or be mad the games Oculus funds from scratch), especially when Revive and such stuff make the software playable on other platforms as well anyway. It would still be nice if Oculus opened their store/compatibility to other platforms officially though, then they can earn money from other HMD users too, I think it will be to their benefit and won't make their hardware products less appealing, if anything more Vive users could switch over after experiencing the games and wanting them to have more natural Touch controls and such. Maybe they're waiting to see when knuckles-like stuff are out so they can then put out Touch 2 later and have it be the better controller again.

Unfortunately until Valve give Oculus permission to extend their SDK to cover the Vive headset we won't see it happening until OpenXR is available. And Valve won't be doing that because it's not in their business interest to do so.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,583 Valuable Player
    edited February 25
    Am sure it will work with revive.
    This is great news... And is a great example of oculus putting their money where their mouth is unlike others. Without support from oculus codies would.not have added vr imo.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,307 Valuable Player

This is great news.

I can't help wondering how much, from Oculus' point of view, it would take to get Codies to implement VR for F1. Well I'm guessing it'd take a lot more.

Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1809 (17763.348)
  • nroskonrosko Posts: 952
    Neo
    It's really great news that Oculus have helped & i'm grateful for that but it's also interesting that Oculus are listening to the community & then deciding to do this. I don't recall them acting in this way previously.  
  • gr0bdagr0bda Posts: 269
    Nexus 6
    I bitched on their Steam page with the "No VR no buy" crowd, even though I have no interest. I guess it worked! 
  • ahma_clawahma_claw Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    This is great news!!
    edited February 25

Just noticed Dirt 2 on Steam's store page.

I assume I'd be right in saying the Steam version either won't have VR support.... or VR support will be a timed exclusive on the Oculus store for a few months when it arrives in the summer?

If so, it may be worthwhile having a reminder here for people not buy the Steam version, as it's only about 10 hours from release.

Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1809 (17763.348)
    I dunno, I m beginning to question the truth in the oculus support part to be honest, and maybe the shot with the rift was just because the rift is the more attractive HMD.

Surely IF  it were true oculus would have funded some sort of advertising campaign by new
    "Dirt Rally 2 VR coming to Oculus home on date X Y Z"

because IF come summer it happened that an exclusive vr version came out but was not on steam, i see no upside to anyone for that.  Dirt Rally fans who have the game will be bitter and blame codies/oculus.... and many people who would otherwise have waited may not double dip on the game.

So i am starting to think that maybe all versions will get the VR DLC.  whether or not it will be free or not, i dunno. maybe it will be a paid DLC like Dirt Rally on PSVR
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)

Oculus have always been a bit tight lipped about stuff until nearer the date of release but would be good to get some info.

So the options are:

Dirt Rally 2 VR will be an Oculus exclusive.

Dirt Rally 2 VR will be a timed Oculus exclusive and a free update for Steam users.

Dirt Rally 2 VR will be a timed Oculus exclusive and a paid for DLC for Steam users.

VR support for Dirt Rally 2 was all a false rumour.

edited February 25
    or another option that Dirt Rally 2 will be a Free/paid expansion for both the steam AND oculus versions at the same time.   (I am not worried about VR not coming to DR2, i think that is as good as in the bank)
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 5,845 Valuable Player

Oculus have always been a bit tight lipped about stuff until nearer the date of release but would be good to get some info.

So the options are:

Dirt Rally 2 VR will be an Oculus exclusive.

Dirt Rally 2 VR will be a timed Oculus exclusive and a free update for Steam users.

Dirt Rally 2 VR will be a timed Oculus exclusive and a paid for DLC for Steam users.

VR support for Dirt Rally 2 was all a false rumour.

Option 3 is the most likely I think.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    I'll go with option 2 just for arguments sake. I'll pass on buying from Steam now until we find out, and pass completely if no VR.
  • MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,173
    Wintermute
    Finally! This is how Oculus should be spending its money. It should partner with game makers to port games to VR instead of making games that have very little content. 

Now maybe if Oculus would spend money on creating the ultimate Skyrim VR mod. 
  • nroskonrosko Posts: 952
    Neo
    Seems there are some issues with the game with ffb, also it's quite heavy on the gpu. Hoping this is improved for the odious release.
  • NapagadyNapagady Posts: 35
    Brain Burst
    DiRT Rally 2.0 is awesome, and the VR experience will only make it that much better, already have the game bought, now it's time to wait. :dizzy: