cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Well If This Ends Up Happening I'm Jumping Ship!

Anonymous
Not applicable
https://uploadvr.com/oculus-rift-s-code-references/

The Rift S has been referenced in code somewhere apparently and is using inside-out tracking and a software IPD instead of a physical one.

Any game using 360 degree tracking will be pretty much unplayable.

I honestly don't know what Oculus are thinking, enthusiasts are going to be leaving the Oculus platform in droves. Still got to wait and see what happens at F8 but if their CV2 is basically a Quest without the mobile phone parts I'm getting myself either a Pimax or a Valve headset and will jump back to Oculus when they release the CV3. The Rift S will probably be cheap but I'm not going near it.

Dear Oculus, if you're releasing a cheap crappy headset with inside-out tracking as your CV2 then I'm not going anywhere near it. Fuck you, I'm buying a Valve/Pimax headset next gen and MIGHT go back to Oculus for the CV3 if you release something decent.

And I actually MEAN it this time! 😞
247 REPLIES 247

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
GO is fully charged after roughly 30-45 minutes.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

Zenbane said:

GO is fully charged after roughly 30-45 minutes.

That's not bad if Oculus Quest charges in that time. It will probably force me to give my eyes a rest because 5 hours straight is quite a long time without eye rest in VR.

Wildt
Consultant

pyroth309 said:

Wildt said:

If we can get a pro level Echo, Quivr, Eleven Table tennis and Onward player to state that their experience with upcoming inside out is on par with current outside in solutions - I wouldn't worry.

But I'm not fucking going backwards on tracking precision after 3 years.

Extremely doubtful it'll be good enough for what you like to do. I don't think you are the target audience to achieve the 1 billion people goal. I've mentioned a couple of times I think it's good enough to play 90% of games and for general users it should be fine. For people doing Esports/chasing scores/playing at high levels of precision (IE the other 10%) I'm extremely skeptical that it will beat out constellation for those players. 

That's what I'm fearful of - but as I said earlier in this thread, it wouldn't increase the cost a much to throw some bloody IR LEDs on the Rift-S, thus making it backwards compatible with constellation. Everybody is happy!
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

ShocksVR
Superstar

Wildt said:

pyroth309 said:

Wildt said:

If we can get a pro level Echo, Quivr, Eleven Table tennis and Onward player to state that their experience with upcoming inside out is on par with current outside in solutions - I wouldn't worry.

But I'm not fucking going backwards on tracking precision after 3 years.

Extremely doubtful it'll be good enough for what you like to do. I don't think you are the target audience to achieve the 1 billion people goal. I've mentioned a couple of times I think it's good enough to play 90% of games and for general users it should be fine. For people doing Esports/chasing scores/playing at high levels of precision (IE the other 10%) I'm extremely skeptical that it will beat out constellation for those players. 

That's what I'm fearful of - but as I said earlier in this thread, it wouldn't increase the cost a much to throw some bloody IR LEDs on the Rift-S, thus making it backwards compatible with constellation. Everybody is happy!

If Rift-S uses the new Touch controllers (with the ring above), then it may have IR-LEDs.  If yes, then it may be backwards compatible with CV1 Constellation sensors.  The headset itself may not need any additional LEDs.
However, existing Touch communicates with the headset, so I'm not sure how feasible my idea may be.
i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), QuestPro, Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee

gr0bda said:

I don't understand the big hoopla about inside out tracking. I own now Odyssey+ (which is a total piece of shit btw) but I have to say I use it more often that Rift, JUST because of the inside out tracking and ability of playing wherever I please, unlike Rift, where I have to be in my designated area (which is not at the PC).
If they can improve the tracking by adding extra cameras, especially in the back, it will be waaaay better than any wacky wired system that's currently in use. I'm "sorry" to say but inside out tracking is the future. And the next iteration of  PSVR will only reinforce that.

Yeah I see a lot of debate about tracking. I can understand because I was sold on room scale and tracking with my three sensors and I like my setup and inside/out tracking sounded inferior to our current setups at first but the positive reviews recently have made me realise that inside/out tracking is probably the way to go and the direction VR is heading so I'm cool with that as long as it's not worse then what we have already.

I've been thinking all this time though, why not give us the option to use both? Instead of getting rid of our current cameras allow us to use them with inside/out tracking to cover more area and make tracking even better? Would that not be better solution then choosing one type of tracking over another?
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

bigmike20vt
Visionary

I've been thinking all this time though, why not give us the option to use both? Instead of getting rid of our current cameras allow us to use them with inside/out tracking to cover more area and make tracking even better? Would that not be better solution then choosing one type of tracking over another?

This would be the dream imo.... i guess that will come down to price if it is practical or not... but inside out tracking with a couple of sensors to aid them would be fab imo.  It would mean i could free up 1 usb 3.0 at least as well.
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable
At this point the only ones I would "jump ship" for are Vive Pro Eye and/or the rumor google 4k by 4k Eye tracking devices that are said to be release sometime in 2020 or 2021 with a FOV of around 140-160. I honestly believe eye tracking has to happen if VR wants to continue going forward either it be for lower level hardware or to make the experience better. The longer we dont have it - the longer itll take the technology to grow and expand and there for the longer itll take VR to play cache up to console like levels of users. Granted - I want it to take its time as well and not rush with no software support like we saw with the NV 20s cards (RTX). At the same time - dont be scare to release if there are a hand full of titles either. More will come or be updated to support it if they want to target more users.

Then again - I have a feeling this is why theyre calling it S and instead of CV2 in the fact they are not coming with it and saving it for their next release of Quest or GO to show off the benefits of what eye tracking can do.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Wildt said:

Mark Z did in fact say that any future iteration of Rift would be backwards compatible. We shall see!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Zenbane said:

snowdog said:
The problem is that it doesn't provide 360 degree tracking which causes problems playing certain games - any game where you need to reach behind you such as Echo, any game which has your hands to close to the headset such as archery games and any game that involves firing from the hip, firing in multiple directions or involves grabbing something like ammo etc without looking at it will have tracking issues.

And tracking issues instantly kill immersion.

I've made this same argument against WMR, but everyone who owns a WMR headset swears that it isn't a problem. And Quest tracking covers a wider range than WMR. Over time I've accepted that my arguments are based only on how I "think" this should all work compared to how it actually works based on first-hand experiences. But you are still arguing based solely on theory without leaving room for first-hand experience.

There are people on Reddit though and other forums that do report these type of issues still and that it isnt perfect either. Even if Oculus Quest is better - that only makes it better than the WMR devices and not 100% still. Even people at the event did report some uneasiness when using bows and arrows sometimes. 

For what Quest is - I think that is fine - but as I said on another page - they sure will have to add something a little extra if S is to be replacing the current tracking system. Granted I am up for the replacement honestly. There are soo many benefits to inside out tracking. Hopefully though they are reading this and taking note of our concerns. 

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Mradr said:
There are people on Reddit though and other forums that do report these type of issues still and that it isnt perfect either. Even if Oculus Quest is better - that only makes it better than the WMR devices and not 100% still. Even people at the event did report some uneasiness when using bows and arrows sometimes. 

Yeah but you and I have talked about these types of things before, and I still hold the stance that you intentionally seek out negative information about Oculus products. There's always going to be problems and imperfections, just look at the Support forum on this website talking about how the Rift CV1 is a bad product.

Have you personally tried a WMR and Quest headset to do a comparison? I'm assuming no. So you, much like most of us in this topic, are just speculating and theorycrafting based on internet posts.

And you already have a defeatist attitude towards Quests with statements like, "Even if Oculus Quest is better - that only makes it better than the WMR device."

If it's better than WMR then that means it's better at 360 roomscale than WMR. And that's just Quest... now we get to see how Rift-S improves upon that. But "improve" is a positive word which doesn't work well for people who are just sitting and waiting to see how Rift-S "fails" at something.