cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Quest Cross Buy

JonJonXD
Expert Protege
I really hope that the Quest offers up a cross buy system for those of us that have already invested a ton of money into our Rift game libraries.

I will honestly buy a Quest day one if the games I buy that are cross platform are honored on both.

I do want to check out the Quest, but it's hard for me to essentially double dip in software.
PC Specs

AMD Ryzen 7 @ 3.9ghz 1.35v w/ Noctua NH-D15 SE AM4 Edition

ASUS STRIX X370-F GAMING Motherboard

Power Color Red Dragon RX 580 8GB

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3200

Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME

2x4TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

LG 29UM60-P Ultra Wide 2560x1080 Monitor

Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum Keyboard

Logitech G903 Mouse

Oculus Rift CV1 w/ 3 Sensors + Earphones

39 REPLIES 39

I think the question is, how many PCVR games would realistically be capable of being run on a stand-alone headset? even with all the settings turned down, considering the stand-alone in question will have a pixel count quite a bit higher than the Rift.
I've always been under the impression that the vast majority of games for the Quest will have to be designed and tested with that headset as the target to ensure acceptable performance. The potential problem of people buying Rift games and complaining about performance or some other incompatibility I think would be huge.

The exceptions are apps like video streaming, like Amaze 3D for example which should be fine, but most of those are free so no big deal.

As I say, I'm expecting Quest to be a very different experience than the Rift. Less graphically intensive but more emphasis on freedom of movement. I'm hoping the games offer a different experience too, to take advantage of that.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I think the question is, how many PCVR games would realistically be capable of being run on a stand-alone headset?
Can't say for now, but let's not forget to take into account that the Quest runs at a lesser refresh rate, which will make the games way less demanding ^^. According to ALVR devs, they were able to run Elite:Dangerous on an Oculus Go :

https://github.com/polygraphene/ALVR/wiki/List-of-tested-VR-games-and-experiences

Elite:F*ckin:Dangerous! On a mobile chip.

Also, if performance issues really are the reason for separating Stores, there is an obvious and easy way to prevent them while having a single Store: forbid the installation of an app on incompatible devices.

The software already knows what device it is installed on. The devs would just have to specify the target devices (PC and/or Quest and/or Go), and if someone tries to install an app on the wrong device, the software would simply not allow it. That way, if a dev wants to make a cross-platform game, they can. And the users wouldn't have to buy the same apps several times.
Easy peasy.
My point is, performance issues aren't really the problem.

Now of course there's the issue of "porting an app". A port requires work, and work requires to get paid. If we allow cross-buy, that would mean the users wouldn't have to pay for the port.
I understand that point of view. However, how much is that worth? Frankly, reducing graphics takes only a few clicks in Unity. Most of the work is automatic...

Anyway, the least we can say is it goes against their plan to make a uniform Oculus platform. Making one store per device just doesn't fit this idea...
On a personal note, I don't really mind this issue since I trust 3rd parties to find a way to rectify this xD.

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
I have to agree with Zelator on this one. It's all about the exclusives for me. Plus I am sure there will be lots of free content to mess around with as well.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee
I bought Rift and GO and will also buy Quest and CV2, so I'm massively invested in Oculus here but I do agree that the store should be shared for games across one platform. Don't make us buy the same game three times please.

For example, you already have to buy the game "Virutal Virutal Reality" twice, once for Rift and once for GO, if you want to play it on Quest then that will be the 3rd purchase? So a game that was once £15 would therefore cost you £45 for three different HMD's. I think that's asking too much.

They could even draw a line in the sand and say "ok from this point onwards, you buy each game once and it works on all three HMD's but past games before Quest release you still have to re-purchase".

But it would also be extra sweet if they backdated it to the old library too. Hopefully they make a decision and keep us updated soon.

EDIT:

There will also probably have a solution to "stream" PCVR games into the Oculus Quest, like ALVR:

https://github.com/polygraphene/ALVR

Oh Wow, I didn't know about this ALVR application, thanks for sharing, I can't wait to get home and try set it up tonight for my GO, is it really easy to use?
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

Neokin
Adventurer

Now of course there's the issue of "porting an app". A port requires work, and work requires to get paid. If we allow cross-buy, that would mean the users wouldn't have to pay for the port.
I understand that point of view. However, how much is that worth? Frankly, reducing graphics takes only a few clicks in Unity. Most of the work is automatic...

I don't think porting an app is "only a few clicks". For people interested, I recommend this panel from OC5:
Porting Your App to Oculus Quest

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Porting an app doesn't take a few clicks, but reducing graphic requirements most certainly is a few clicks; at least in the Unreal Editor. I've gotten far enough in my little tutorials to see how that works! lol

Anonymous
Not applicable
Then the real question is - is the price to port if you own already worth the price again to pay to play it on Quest if you already own it on the Rift? Aka, it wont take as much time to port than it does to make it in the first place - so is the product price to reflect that for the people that already own the title in the first place? Could something like that happen instead? Etc etc.

I wonder if a subscription might be a better focus for Quest? This way you get access to a ton of titles - but wont have to repay for titles you already own on the Rift.

JonJonXD
Expert Protege
 This isn't a new concept and has been exercised in the past (PS3/PS4/VITA).

At the very least, give us a heavy discount to get it on the second platform (Virtual Console between Wii and Wii U).

If I can get a lot of the games from my Oculus library onto the quest for dirt cheap, then that's a bit different than me re-buying games at the same price.

Even then, I would want the Quest for better room scale (no tether).
PC Specs

AMD Ryzen 7 @ 3.9ghz 1.35v w/ Noctua NH-D15 SE AM4 Edition

ASUS STRIX X370-F GAMING Motherboard

Power Color Red Dragon RX 580 8GB

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3200

Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME

2x4TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

LG 29UM60-P Ultra Wide 2560x1080 Monitor

Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum Keyboard

Logitech G903 Mouse

Oculus Rift CV1 w/ 3 Sensors + Earphones

LZoltowski
Champion
Can you play all the games you bought on a Wii U on your Switch?

Quest is an entirely different platform. Games can be ported but require significant development. One is ARM and the other is x86. I have not seen many ports of games that are free. It's a little bit like expecting the games you bought on Xbox to work on your PC for free, they both play games and are from Microsoft, right?

Oculus does NOT make games, they are a front end shop. It's up to the devs and they have to incur additional development costs.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

LZoltowski
Champion
One major point also that many of the games are from indie studios, it would be financially nonsensical to miss out on extra revenue. Triple A studio?, maybe. But not your average indie dev. 
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂