cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking forward to new feature of own Home -> complete bland home!

Thmoas
Rising Star
I like the idea that we can now create our own geometry.  I like Dash but I don't like the distraction of Home playing in the background. I'm looking forward to having a completely blank Home! Will that be even possible?

What do you think?
27 REPLIES 27

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

kojack said:

Unzip this into the C:\Users\kojack\Documents\Oculus Home\_Import\_CustomHomes directory (replacing the kojack bit of course).
(that path may not exist if you haven't tried making a custom home yet. Making it yourself should be fine)

That will give you a 40m x 40m x 40m white cube as the home.

You'll need to go into the home menu (menu button), select Places, Templates, pick "bigcube" then click the Create World button.

I could probably throw something together, need to investigate the workflow first. Ill keep you posted.

Blender 2.80 has GLTF export built in, that can export to the GLB file that oculus wants.

Many thanks for that mate.  I downloaded this ok but unfortunately I am still on version 1.34 so it was not possible to import the BigCube.  I tried running a Repair but this just kept me at 1.34 so I guess Oculus has not updated their download file to 1.35 yet (even though it is now a final rollout).  

I guess I could have opted into PTC but I'd rather wait and get the actual non-PTC version.  If I have not received the auto-update to 1.35 by tomorrow I'll try running the Repair again.

I'm really looking forward to giving this a go and if it works I'll post a screenshot (if I can figure a way to do this, lol!).  Thanks again.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

kojack
MVP
MVP
Oculus usually do rolling deployments, so they don't get hammered by everybody in the world trying to update at the same time.

Zenbane said:

Pretty creative stuff here; interested to see how it turns out. Screenshots!

Screenshots from inside of a giant white cube?
Ok:
8azho2wpcd08.jpg
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

kzintzi
Trustee
$2 says running a blank white cube consumes more overhead than the normal home :tongue:

Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.

kojack
MVP
MVP
Well, it is Unreal afterall, wouldn't surprise me. 🙂

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

LZoltowski
Champion
@kojack, how are you getting measurements? Are Blenders units translated 1 to 1 when imported?
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

falken76
Expert Consultant
I would like to see an option to turn it off completely.  It's a gimick and a waste of resources, I don't care about the features in there so I would like to opt out of this whole waste so my menus don't go to shit in a game like Onward when I want to access the menu to start an oculus party.  The "Hey look how cool I am" useless features are interfering with the actual useful features for gaming.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Looking forward to have 2 hands do 2 different uses!
Why once in Home your Watch disappears? So no clock and no reset position!
Why use both hands for the 180degree turn and then remove moving backwards! And do it for both hands LOL!
Why the same hands do same movements but takes 4secs to turn 90degrees and need 2 hands to move as you would almost like normal! It's so sick to move so slow! like bloody S L O W !
I can't change the Music even if editor is Unlocked. It's all crap!

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Just tried the BigCube and it seems to work pretty well.  Certainly gets rid of any home clutter!  I have just using the stock bare home without any decorations btw.  Ended up lowering my total %cpu usage a few % (28 to 25%).  GPU seemed about the same, ~20% total.  Startup lag and lag between apps (like going from store back to home) seems a little faster, but not by much.  No problem accessing the store.

You need to play with your starting position in order to get a nice blank screen.  You can also play with colour and brightness settings to get something pleasing.  I'll stick with this for now.  Many thanks kojack.  Cheers.

Edit; Mac, I do not seem to have any of your problems with 1.35.  Maybe try a Repair.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Anonymous
Not applicable
If it's not as fast moving as DOOM then it's no good. If both hands are needed to move nearly at normal pace then it's no good. If both hands do the exact same then it's no good. Is yours really that good?

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

MAC_MAN86 said:

If it's not as fast moving as DOOM then it's no good. If both hands are needed to move nearly at normal pace then it's no good. If both hands do the exact same then it's no good. Is yours really that good?

Mac, I not really sure what your problem is mate.  Within Home I can teleport and/or rotate incrementally fast-as.  Maybe you are using locomotion to move around your dollhouse?  I have not tried that because I have no need for it, esp. with a BigCube environment.