cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

An open appeal to Oculus about mobilitiy vs higher res, wider viewing angle

robvanhoose
Honored Guest
I love my Rift. I use it heavily for War Thunder (aviation), Elite Dangerous, Dirt Rally, and Cars. I also like Lucky's Tale, Tethered, The Climb, Robinson, and Angry Birds a lot. Apollo 11 was so amazing and I've been a huge fan of every animation, experience, and game I've played. I can see the place for the Go/Quest, but they can't do everything
I need.

I want the most R in my VR as possible. I have my Rift Touch attached to a 1080ti and have loved every second. There seems to be a lot of consternation as of late about whether Oculus should move in the main-stream (<$300) market or the VR enthusiast market. I've been buying every title I can on the Oculus store to vote for the Rift with my dollars, but I'm growing increasingly concerned that Oculus doesn't care about my category of users anymore. Why not an annual hardware refresh with bumps in resolution, weight, and viewing angle. I don't care that that had to mount sensors -- they're nicely mounted now. I don't care that I have to tether to a PC -- at least not more than I care about how real the virtual reality looks.  I'm not going to be playing Elite Dangerous on a battery-powered hybrid mobile device. I want the most realistic racing I can get out of Dirt Rally. I'm not going to drag my Obutto chair + racing wheel, pedal, and gear set around. My Saitek HOTUS isn't coming to the park with me.

Oculus: I don't like the Vive. Why are you pushing me to it? And what's going to become of all my Oculus library if you do? Please make two product lines. Maybe someday the two will grow into one, but please do not abandon the high-end VR market. More pixels please.

Best regards,

Rob van Hoose
7 REPLIES 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
No offense, but your comment is 15 lines too long xD!
Basically, you want a better Rift and you don't agree with Oculus' focus on standalone VR.

I understand that. However, expecting a yearly update is just wrong. Tech needs Time, I can't believe so many people don't understand that... It's what I like to call the "impatient customer Syndrome". Learn to wait, it's healthy!

robvanhoose
Honored Guest
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I know tech takes time. Totally agree there. I think Rift 2 sounded like too ambitious of a project and Rift S sounds like a stop-gap. I'm really a fan of the direction Oculus Rift's software and marketplace has taken. I really enjoy spending time in the Rift. However, HTC has managed to keep their users updated every year or so, and have been releasing tons of accessories. I'd love just a Rift Pro - with higher pixel density screens. I don't think that's as difficult as an all new product. *shrug*

theruleslawyer
Explorer
As much as I'd like another high end Rift, its not time. To have a meaningful increase in resolution or FOV you'd need an insanely powerful PC. Once foveated rendering is fully baked we'll see a real update. Until then I'd just like a wireless kit/update. Driving down the price in the meantime is probably the best thing they can do for VR as a whole.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I think we're closer to having eye tracking and FOVA + foical point technology now than we ever been. The problem is do we wait for it or slide something out right now? Honestly - if I could have it sooner I glad pay more. I am sure others would agree with me if the hardware requirement stay the same but double the resolution we have now + the other stuff. 

So the question comes down to two things really:
1) Is eyetracking+fova+foical there and its just a cost issue OR
2) Is that technology just not working yet?

If its two - then the question is how soon can we get it because we start back over with question 1 again.

nrosko
Superstar
yeah eye tracking & foveated rendering looks like it could be here for 2020, plenty time for rift 2. 

I personally would like only a small improvement to fov as it has a large impact of ppi & i would rather they focus on getting that to reasonable levels as its currently extremely low. Its like with pimax, despite the high resolution the ppi is less than the vive pro because of the high fov. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
The best mix for res to fov would be around 140 for 4k, 160 for 8k, and 200 for 16k

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
OP there's nothing stopping you purchasing a Vive Pro if you can't wait for a higher resolution etc. That's if you've got the money to waste because it's far to expensive for what it is. Anyways, the Rift -S will have all you want and should be out in around a years time. It will also be a lot cheaper because Oculus aim to keep the cost for VR headsets down.